Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Pathfinder AP should OwlCat adapt next? In your opinion?

In your opinion, which one should be the next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reinhardt

Arcane
Kill them all.

Mortmal

Arcane
the most plausible choice is iron gods or starfinder since they were looking for a sci fi artist. Still i dont see what king of shitty minigame they can graft on it, they love their shitty minigame with cards , what will they do ? Skull & shackles is much better target for them i can already see the sid meier's pirate dumbed down clone , not nearly as good as the 1987 game, glued on the island adventure.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Paladin is a pretty clumsy and rigid class to play in a cloak and dagger story with political intrigues and stuff.

Exactly. Is like attempting to play as a Wizard in a city inside a anti magical field or as a Gunslinger in a no firearms setting...

-----

Anyway, there are so many amazing APs in Pathfinder. Why OwlCat decided to make Wrath of the Righteous? I'm not saying that it is bad, just that any other AP in that list would be better. I enjoyed WoTR despite its flaws.

iron gods or starfinder since they were looking for a sci fi artist. Still i dont see what king of shitty minigame they can graft on it

If is starfinder, will be spaceship battle. But I pray for Iron Gods. Is less SCI FI than Starfinder.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
:didntreadlol:

Voted Carrion Crown. Pathfinder adventure paths are all retadred, c'mon bros, anyone that argues otherwise is deluded at best. The setting itself is Genericus Maximus Ratradronimus (imho)

I voted that one just because I want to see someone trying an horror adaptation of D&D. It's also not too shabby (*contains cringe*)

disclaimer I only homebrew

Reinhardt

Arcane
zjf5trarUxlAnkfFWE7YqL2H1l6aq5reHPzXC17q0EVFuVw5ekzNmlbqs5nWtjHY2PvF7TSvwSXLJ3boVyPB9hMOaI4_6V7xOTkJ1KmK50P9h9HNqHKq4J14YWuxOVsRjTD7hokhdx2Rbjxm_28xd2wRtVDcZl_uSHp1tA

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is one particular section of Strange Aeons which would cause a magnificent dilemma for a paladin PC (that sadly wouldn't be adapted as well I imagine).

In a city in the dream lands during Book 3, you are forced to acquire a necklace from a very evil Night Hag ambassador who is heavily involved in city politics. You can either do a deal with the Night Hag (In which she betrays you and gives you a fake necklace), or work with the local criminal underworld to assassinate her.

The ambassador has a small army of powerful bodyguards and is fairly powerful herself, so just marching up to her to kill her would end very badly.

Both sides of this are completely lousy. Our party who was mostly neutral ended up siding with the assassins as they had a good plan for isolating the ambassador from her bodyguards, they also surprisingly kept their word and allowed us to get what we needed.

I honestly don't know how a paladin would deal with that situation. I guess they might consider the criminals to be the lesser evil? Even so it wouldn't sit well with them I imagine.

Paladin is a pretty clumsy and rigid class to play in a cloak and dagger story with political intrigues and stuff.
It's like pouring wine in boxing gloves.

In my point of view a classic paladin, when facing an evil figure embedded deep within the political structure,
would first try to expose it in a lawful way - appealing to the court, higher authorities and all that. Not just scheming to asassinate the said figure, or let alone make deals with it. If the lawful way won't work or it's outright impossible than it's up to a direct challenge or even a declaration of war.

Although, with that being said, I don't think that paladins should always be lawful stupid,
and I can imagine a situation in which a paladin could work together with criminals/evildoers to reach common goals, as long as they don't perform evil acts during this collaboration.
This also opens options for some redemption arcs for NPCs, if DM/players are interested in that kind of stories.

Yeah, that situation actually opens up some interesting RP for a paladin, whether they hold their nose and take part or insist on other solutions.

I said after the session, it's a shame we didn't have a paladin with us woulda made things more "fun".

None of our characters really gave a shit, as they just wanted to get the necklace and get the hell out of that segment of the dreamlands.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Disagreed. A Wizard without magic is like a barbarian without a weapon and muscles...
So all your int is just for pew-pew? Supragenius, my ass.

No. A Wizard without magic can still be a smart guy who can solve N situations. However, the main feature of a wizard is casting spells. BTW, the unique canonical defeat of me(Meredoth) was in a anti magical field. At 17 min of this video is explained better ( https://youtu.be/7qYLUTQOD0o?t=1033 )

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The Pathfinder world is really stupid if you look at it as a whole but if you focus on a single location for a game then it becomes a lot better and reasonable.

Personally, I want carrion crown or mummy mask. And I'm not convinced that iron gods is confirmed just because they're hiring a sci-fi artist. It's possible but I don't think that confirms it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Carrion is the horror one? It could be ok in chapter 1-2 but then it will be just pew-pew anything that moves.

FriendlyMerchant

None of them. I think owlcat has no potential as a developer for anything but the gruntwork of game design.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And I'm not convinced that iron gods is confirmed just because they're hiring a sci-fi artist. It's possible but I don't think that confirms it.

I agree. Can be a starfinder game, can be a cancelled project. Can be anything. However, I believe that among the APs, considering how some OwlCat devs said that he would like a Iron Gods(but DIN'T CONFIRMED, ONLY SAID that they would like and that he can't make this decision), the hiring and fact that OwlCat prefer more "awesome" adventures and that a lot of fallout fans are working for then makes me believe that Iron Gods has more chances than any other AP. I'm not saying that it will gonna be Iron Gods. There are also a considerable chance of PF2E or Starfinder. If is up to me, I would't say that Iron Gods has more than 25% chance of being the next AP.

Crarrion's Crown I think that with the Pathfinder cartoonish graphics can't create the correct atmosphere.

Pathfinder world is really stupid if you look at it as a whole but if you focus on a single location for a game then it becomes a lot better and reasonable.

I strongly agree. Golarion is a world with no consistency. You have no magic, low tech areas and high magic high tech areas like Numeria in the same world. However, one good aspect of having good locations in a awful world, is that most campaigns become more "local" instead of "save the world".

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The biggest thing I would want in a sequel is to rework how players and people look. The Monster designs and areas are fine but the playable races look weird.

Thonius

Arcane
The biggest thing I would want in a sequel is to rework how players and people look. The Monster designs and areas are fine but the playable races look weird.
Disagree characters made with isometric perspective in mind, long story short that requires some liberties in regards to anatomic and colors of the characters.
How they look in inventory screen != how they look with iso perspective. Unless ofc you got problems with how the look in iso or like stylistically in general.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Just hire Obsidian's artists. Whatever you may think of them, both Pillars of Eternity games are absolutely gorgeous to look at.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don’t think Golarion is a particularly great setting, but it’s better than Abeir-Toril.

Nothing beats Ravenloft, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer when it comes to PNP settings.

I think it might actually be worse. Faerun has some actually interesting regions like Moonsea or Thay. In addition it has these amateurish charm a lot of fantasy from that era has where you can clearly see that it's started as some autistic nerd powertripping. Golarion feels like Faerun but somehow even more bland and souless. Even the craaazy and wacky regions seem to be designed by a committee to be the "crazy regions". Plus using Faerun gives an advantage of being connected to DnD cosmology. Which means that elements of the more interesting settings might appear. Like in Baldur's Gate II where you could meet knights of Krynn and Darksun's halflings in the Plannar Sphere. But of course anything is preferable to these two.

I don’t think Golarion is a particularly great setting, but it’s better than Abeir-Toril.

Nothing beats Ravenloft, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer when it comes to PNP settings.

I think it might actually be worse. Faerun has some actually interesting regions like Moonsea or Thay. In addition it has these amateurish charm a lot of fantasy from that era has where you can clearly see that it's started as some autistic nerd powertripping. Golarion feels like Faerun but somehow even more bland and souless. Even the craaazy and wacky regions seem to be designed by a committee to be the "crazy regions". Plus using Faerun gives an advantage of being connected to DnD cosmology. Which means that elements of the more interesting settings might appear. Like in Baldur's Gate II where you could meet knights of Krynn and Darksun's halflings in the Plannar Sphere. But of course anything is preferable to these two.

Golarion is completely unapologetic about being a theme-park and Paizo has thus far continued to double-down on that as far as I know. There's the fantasy pirate land ride over here, the fantasy Russia ride over there, the fantasy totalitarian state ride over there, etc. It's definitely not intelligent or cohesive world-building, but as a setting it's generally pretty clear that those things are not its aim. Abeir-Toril by contrast has suffered from its own success, and in the decades since its inception has been forced to jury-rig its disparate segments into something that sort of has some kind of internal consistency (it doesn't work). I think it speaks volumes about the setting that most seasoned Faerun PNPers favorite parts of the setting are the ones that are relatively unexplored. Also, I haven't really paid any attention to FR since 4E launched, but hasn't it just completely devolved into a constant state of retcons and nonsense?

FriendlyMerchant

a game set in forgotten realms

no, not that one, the real forgotten realms with all the weird pervert greenwood shit
You mean the one with Edwin, after getting cursed by the Netherese sexchange scroll, getting railed by a orcs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom