Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why did Real Time Strategy genre die out?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
fine, let's settle on that, but the other part of this is not only that it's much less popular, there are no big players releasing new games. blizzard isn't doing it anymore and the other companies are now gone. aoe4 is just an iteration of an iteration, the rest are remakes.
Right, but remakes having huge success proves in itself that there is a demand here waiting to be fulfilled. Dead genres don't have a demand.
Not a mass market demand, mind you, but still one big enough to warrant significant investment in the millions of $$.

Remember that "single player games are dead" discussion? Nobody says that anymore after successes like Elden Ring or BG3 (technically also multiplayer, but you know...).
Or that "turn-based RPGs cannot be successful" one? Heh.... hehhehehe...

All it takes is one very good, high production value (let's say AA) game being very successful to wake up more studios.

We didn't have that "one very good, high production value game" recently. All the ones that tried in recent years were simply not good enough, which in turn was often misconstructed as the genre being in decline. In practically all cases due to design decisions that just make you facepalm - imagine how good that Age Of Sigmar game could have been if they hadn't bafflingly gone down the pseudo-moba-route that already killed DoW3 and with a protagonist that has the charm of a cheese grater. Seriously, how dumb can you be? I'm not mad, I'm just still shocked.
But that doesn't reflect on the state of a genre, it reflects on the state of developers (not just in RTS genre).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
maybe Warcraft 4 will do it :P
God, I hope not.
I refuse to give Blizzard money anymore, they have pulled too much crap in and around gaming.

It would be an absolute disaster if they of all devs were the ones to create that runaway success RTS.

I hope that Blizzard shuts down, insh'Allah.
Yes, this. But also very unlikely too happen.

MasterofThunder

Blizzard games aren't even good enough to 'consider' buying, not for a long time. I'd probably buy Diablo II and Warcraft III again if they were released on GOG though, and during a sale. The benefit of the Microsoft acquisition is that all of these terrible companies will go out of business at the same time. We've heard of nothing but layoffs this year, and it will only get worse.

Perhaps if Blizzard survives, they will do so as a much smaller, independent company with it's parasitic elements (i.e women and niggers) removed.

MasterofThunder

I'm talking about their classic versions in this case, without DRM. I have absolutely zero interest in playing the remasters, despite the positive reception of Diablo II's effort. Just give me the original games DRM-free and that's all.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I'm talking about their classic versions in this case, without DRM. I have absolutely zero interest in playing the remasters, despite the positive reception of Diablo II's effort. Just give me the original games DRM-free and that's all.
it's never going to be DRM free because they're connected to their servers

MasterofThunder

But they can be played offline without issue, their original versions at least. The lack of online play would be missed, but I'd settle for the single player content just fine.

Vic

Savant
But they can be played offline without issue, their original versions at least. The lack of online play would be missed, but I'd settle for the single player content just fine.
nobody wants to play these games offline, at least not being locked into offline mode, especially not diablo 2 where you have the choice of either grinding for YEARS for an item or go and trade / buy it, which you can't do offline. So you would be stuck being a forever scrub unless you do like 1000 baal runs per day.

if you want a more casual, single player ARPG try Grim Dawn. There it's actually possible and realistic to gear solo.

MasterofThunder

nobody wants to play these games offline, at least not being locked into offline mode, especially not diablo 2 where you have the choice of either grinding for YEARS for an item or go and trade / buy it, which you can't do offline. So you would be stuck being a forever scrub unless you do like 1000 baal runs per day.

if you want a more casual, single player ARPG try Grim Dawn. There it's actually possible and realistic to gear solo.
I enjoyed playing both Diablo II and Warcraft 3 solo. And I'd rather they be available DRM-free, than not.

Vic

Savant
currently playing factorio again and I was reminded that it might be one of the better current RTS, if played on the Deathworld setting, where enemies are hard and swarm you early and frequently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom