Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

Funposter

Arcane
It wasn't received well due to the bugs
kGZHj45.png

You know, I really love John Carpenter's 'The Thing'. The Thing has a few things wrong with it, especially the end sequence with the stop motion Blair, which looks way worse than the rest of the VFX in the movie. If I were writing a review of that movie, I might say "the VFX in the end confrontation with Blair look really shitty" but that wouldn't stop me from giving the movie a high score, or all of a sudden mean that I disliked it. You are able to give an overall positive review of a product (which might end with you saying something like "is it worth a purchase? Definitely.") while noting that it has some problems that stop it from being perfect, which this reviewer has done.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
kGZHj45.png

You know, I really love John Carpenter's 'The Thing'. The Thing has a few things wrong with it, especially the end sequence with the stop motion Blair, which looks way worse than the rest of the VFX in the movie. If I were writing a review of that movie, I might say "the VFX in the end confrontation with Blair look really shitty" but that wouldn't stop me from giving the movie a high score, or all of a sudden mean that I disliked it. You are able to give an overall positive review of a product (which might end with you saying something like "is it worth a purchase? Definitely.") while noting that it has some problems that stop it from being perfect, which this reviewer has done.

And you ignore the rest of the article moron. Welcome to the stupid list.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
If I remember correctly, back in the day the Codex published a negative review about Oblivion. Bethesda got mad and forced the page to remove it. Or some shit like that. Maybe I'm high.

Funposter

Arcane
kGZHj45.png

Because the rest of the article is arguably irrelevant in the face of the final verdict. Bethesda's games have always been buggy and it has never stopped them from receiving positive reviews up until Fallout 76 which was finally a breaking/tipping point for both journalists and mainstream consumers, although both parties were less enamored with Fallout 4 than they were with Skyrim, so Bethesda was already on a downward trajectory. You've provided a single source which wasn't even negative. It's a positive review. He tells you to buy the game. "Bug/s" are mentioned a total of six times in the review - once in the opening paragraph, and then a further five times in the paragraph directly above the final verdict. In the very first paragraph, it's said that the game "avoids any major blunders". Features endemic of decline - the tutorial that thrusts you into the main quest, the quest compass, the fast travel - are met with glowing praise and said to "make Oblivion a great title for anyone still wary about RPGs". Even with all of the skills and systems culled from Morrowind, it supposedly has "depth and gameplay options" that "may be daunting". He thinks the persuasion minigame is ENGAGING, for God's sake.

I'm left wondering if you have actually read the review, or whether you simply googled "Oblivion bugs review" and clicked on the fifth link because you saw it mention "frustrating gameplay", which doesn't really come up again in the view, by the way. He singles out a few skills as being "useless" (Acrobatics and Athletics) and says that you shouldn't select Luck as a primary attritube because it doesn't directly affect anything. I bet he loved Skyrim after it got rid of these.

vtvSIAx.png

9.3/10 is not a negative review.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
If I remember correctly, back in the day the Codex published a negative review about Oblivion. Bethesda got mad and forced the page to remove it. Or some shit like that. Maybe I'm high.
How could they force the Codex to do anything?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
How could they force the Codex to do anything?

They treatened them with torturing the Fallout franchise. Guess what happened.

The Codex doesn't deal with terrorists

Seriously I don't know. I always remembered talking about this in other forums, many years ago. About something like I said, a page that published a very negative review about the game and Bethesda pressured them because of it.

Funposter

Arcane
Pretty sure VD's review of Oblivion that was published in April 06 is still up on the site and always has been.

It's most well-known in the public consciousness now as "the funny radiant AI game", and as a hallmark of late millennial nostalgia, but at the time of release it was incredibly well-received and hailed by mainstream outlets as one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

When did I say that I liked the game? I said that mainstream journalists and consumers liked it.

Lol that's a hell of a backpedal. "It was incredibly well received" != "Mainstream journalists and consumers liked it".

I was also there. There were shitloads of complaints. Skyrim is a better example of what you're saying.

EDIT:
Wow JamesDixon you are a sore loser if you feel the need to vote every response of Funposter as "retarded" just because he disagrees with you.
To be fair, every response by Funposter is individually retarded for a different reason. Also who goes around checking stickers lol, did you also check his post history to see if he's contradicted anything he ever said before?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It's most well-known in the public consciousness now as "the funny radiant AI game", and as a hallmark of late millennial nostalgia, but at the time of release it was incredibly well-received and hailed by mainstream outlets as one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

When did I say that I liked the game? I said that mainstream journalists and consumers liked it.

Lol that's a hell of a backpedal. "It was incredibly well received" != "Mainstream journalists and consumers liked it".

I was also there. There were shitloads of complaints. Skyrim is a better example of what you're saying.

EDIT:
Wow JamesDixon you are a sore loser if you feel the need to vote every response of Funposter as "retarded" just because he disagrees with you.
To be fair, every response by Funposter is individually retarded for a different reason. Also who goes around checking stickers lol, did you also check his post history to see if he's contradicted anything he ever said before?

It's hilarious to be lectured by someone that wasn't alive when the game was released and you saw everything firsthand. Yet, I'm the one that is wrong on the fact it wasn't well received and had a ton of complaints about bugs that weren't fixed by Bugthesda until after the modders did it for them. It's the I know everything even though I wasn't alive to see or experience it. Even then there were complaints about how bad the game was in scope compared to Daggerfall. But we're all wrong.

Tao

Savant
Horse Armor DLC... If i have to pick one game that embodied the decline it is Oblivion. They started the era of decline in so many levels and fronts that anyone born before this abomination, that actually played videogames, can't honestly claim is was a good thing to the world that this shit was shat.

Funposter

Arcane

Of course that's what it means. Again, step outside of your bubble. Also you seem to ignore how "hailed by mainstream outlets as one of the greatest RPGs of all time" and "mainstream journalists and consumers liked it" are directly related.

"Who goes around actually fact-checking the shit they're saying?"

It's hilarious to be lectured by someone that wasn't alive when the game was released and you saw everything firsthand. Yet, I'm the one that is wrong on the fact it wasn't well received and had a ton of complaints about bugs that weren't fixed by Bugthesda until after the modders did it for them. It's the I know everything even though I wasn't alive to see or experience it. Even then there were complaints about how bad the game was in scope compared to Daggerfall. But we're all wrong.
You seem to be really fixated on modders fixering bugs post-release when,

1. That's true of every Bethesda game
2. Bugs are the least of Oblivion's problems

If I had to write a review of Oblivion now, at the time, or at any point in between, bugs and glitches probably wouldn't even be in my top 5 issues with the game. Level scaling and the multitude of issues that came with it, linear faction questlines, skill consolidation/cutting of skills, lack of factions compared to Morrowind, main quest storyline being good vs evil with no subtlety, repetitious dungeons with lack of enemy variety, transformation of Cyrodiil into generic forest compared to description in Third Pocket Guide to the Empire and theDeadlands being depicted as Mordor from LOTR with more red...yeah, all of those would rank above the bugs. And the grogs were complaining about Morrowind being small in scale compared to Daggerfall too. It wasn't a new argument lol.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Horse Armor DLC... If i have to pick one game that embodied the decline it is Oblivion. They started the era of decline in so many levels and fronts that anyone born before this abomination, that actually played videogames, can't honestly claim is was a good thing to the world that this shit was shat.
It was worth it for the memes. Oblivion memes are evergreen, there are precious few games out there that are as unintentionally hilarious as Oblivion.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Because the rest of the article is arguably irrelevant in the face of the final verdict. Bethesda's games have always been buggy and it has never stopped them from receiving positive reviews up until Fallout 76 which was finally a breaking/tipping point for both journalists and mainstream consumers, although both parties were less enamored with Fallout 4 than they were with Skyrim, so Bethesda was already on a downward trajectory. You've provided a single source which wasn't even negative. It's a positive review. He tells you to buy the game. "Bug/s" are mentioned a total of six times in the review - once in the opening paragraph, and then a further five times in the paragraph directly above the final verdict. In the very first paragraph, it's said that the game "avoids any major blunders". Features endemic of decline - the tutorial that thrusts you into the main quest, the quest compass, the fast travel - are met with glowing praise and said to "make Oblivion a great title for anyone still wary about RPGs". Even with all of the skills and systems culled from Morrowind, it supposedly has "depth and gameplay options" that "may be daunting". He thinks the persuasion minigame is ENGAGING, for God's sake.

I'm left wondering if you have actually read the review, or whether you simply googled "Oblivion bugs review" and clicked on the fifth link because you saw it mention "frustrating gameplay", which doesn't really come up again in the view, by the way. He singles out a few skills as being "useless" (Acrobatics and Athletics) and says that you shouldn't select Luck as a primary attritube because it doesn't directly affect anything. I bet he loved Skyrim after it got rid of these.

You are under the impression retard that I said the game didn't review well. That's not what I said. I said it wasn't well received by the players and you ignoring the entire point behind me posting the Gamespot review that highlights the bugs only makes you the retard. Nice backpedal though.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

You are under the impression retard that I said the game didn't review well. That's not what I said. I said it wasn't well received by the players and you ignoring the entire point behind me posting the Gamespot review that highlights the bugs only makes you the retard. Nice backpedal though.
If by players you mean the hardcore Elder Scrolls fans and RPG connoisseurs, sure. The normie masses loved Oblivion when it came out and still do to this day.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You seem to be really fixated on modders fixering bugs post-release when,

1. That's true of every Bethesda game
2. Bugs are the least of Oblivion's problems

If I had to write a review of Oblivion now, at the time, or at any point in between, bugs and glitches probably wouldn't even be in my top 5 issues with the game. Level scaling and the multitude of issues that came with it, linear faction questlines, skill consolidation/cutting of skills, lack of factions compared to Morrowind, main quest storyline being good vs evil with no subtlety, repetitious dungeons with lack of enemy variety, transformation of Cyrodiil into generic forest compared to description in Third Pocket Guide to the Empire and theDeadlands being depicted as Mordor from LOTR with more red...yeah, all of those would rank above the bugs. And the grogs were complaining about Morrowind being small in scale compared to Daggerfall too. It wasn't a new argument lol.

You seem fixated on defending Bugthesda's honor in the hopes that Todd Howard fucks you. Pretty pathetic actually. Again, the retard misunderstands simple English where I used the modders to highlight how Bugthesda waits until their fans fix their game then incorporates it as a patch later. You are creating a strawman to attack me with and not even bothering to touch upon the points I made child. You also seem to have ignored my question on if you were alive when Oblivion released. That alone tells me you weren't and you have no fucking clue as to what you are talking about. Now shut the fuck up and stop replying to me asshole.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

If by players you mean the hardcore Elder Scrolls fans and RPG connoisseurs, sure. The normie masses loved Oblivion when it came out and still do to this day.

Yes, the same masses that love McDonalds and other shit things in life. Let me guess the sheep's opinion actually matters to you huh?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

Yes, the same masses that love McDonalds and other shit things in life. Let me guess the sheep's opinion actually matters to you huh?
Your posts reek of butthurt.

Saying normies like Oblivion is a statement of fact, not an endorsement of the game you dumbfuck.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

And your posts reeks of retardation, but I don't hold it against poor retards like you. If you can't debate the facts then you're the one that is butthurt.

EDIT for your stealth edit: I never said it was retard. You failed reading comprehension didn't you? You also failed debate and how to properly argue your position. That's obvious with you creating strawmen to attack someone with. Attack why I SAID not what you THINK I said retard.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

And your posts reeks of retardation, but I don't hold it against poor retards like you. If you can't debate the facts then you're the one that is butthurt.

EDIT for your stealth edit: I never said it was retard. You failed reading comprehension didn't you? You also failed debate and how to properly argue your position. That's obvious with you creating strawmen to attack someone with. Attack why I SAID not what you THINK I said retard.
It’s you making the assumption that I agreed with the normies when I said normies like Oblivion, dumbfuck. Kill yourself.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

It’s you making the assumption that I agreed with the normies when I said normies like Oblivion, dumbfuck. Kill yourself.

Learn to read fucktard because I never said that. This is you being a fucking retard to create a strawman to keep arguing like the little princess you are. Get an argument that touches upon what I ACTUALLY SAID. God you people are so stupid.

Suck start a shotgun and do the world a favor. We can do with less mentally defective and low IQ individuals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom