Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
With a level up mod that took the min-maxing out of the level up stats it was very enjoyable to just play through using the skills I wanted to use and experiencing natural feeling power growth. And it's just so much fun playing as a mage, stacking weakness to destruction until a single drain health 100 spell would drop them. Just seeing enemies collapse and drop dead was extremely satisfying, I highly recommend trying it.
This is one of my biggest frustrations with Bethesda games, they would be massively better if it just had a Paladin, Mage, and Thief class. Balance all three to play in exciting ways. Paladin leaping in and smashing stuff with the shield that stuns in an area and then you shoot holy light and healing pulses and whatever. Dragons Dogma. Then do the same with the Mage and the Thief. You shouldn't be stealthing around and 1 shotting stuff, that's dumb as shit. It should be like a stealth game where you have to avoid things that can spot you etc. And your first attack from stealth should give you a critical hit or whatever but it shouldn't just instantly kill most enemies. It should be more like Arkham games where the first attack you want to kill a guy because there are 8 others that are going to pile onto you.

tldr- They make ok worlds with ok quests, if it had fun combat I would be a big fan. But the way they do it ruins the whole thing for me.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Let me tell you why I hate Oblivion so much.

I was really hyped for this shit you know ? Avid fan of Morrowind, back in 2006 it was all the rage, playing, modding, so much to do in a single game, so alien the experience, you can find all the design issues and bugs you want (so many PC freezes, I was so patient at the time) it still was a world apart. Then Oblivion was announced. And it looked great. So yeah, I was over the roof in expectations, so was everybody in our online community at the time.
Then it came out and I bought it, maybe the closest to a Day One Buy I ever did. And I was confident I was in for a blast. Here is what I got :
- Character creation was terrible. I had to play with the sliders for a while simply to have a character that wouldn't look like complete shit.
- ok, got out of the sewers and oh wow, it is all so beautiful.
- UI sucks.
- I can ride horses, yeah !
- A brand new world to explore !
- Those new dungeons with traps are great !
- ok, the main quest sucks.
- Wow, Oblivion sucks, and looks like shit. Terrible design overall. Knockoff Mordor. Where are my twisted Vvardenfell ruins ? And I am expected to go there several times, doing the same shit ?
- In fact, all the places look the same. Forests everywhere. Made by someone who hasn't been in a forest for year and doesn't know there is no grass below trees.
- All dungeons are the same. No surprises.
- Why all bandits are now having complete glass or daedric armor ? They were in rags one week ago. What the shit ?

Then I clearly remember one day walking along a river. I looked at the road going far in the distance, and lo and behold I saw four or five creatures, each one evenly spaced along the road, simply waiting for me to come and fight them. It was too much. It was personal, my intelligence and dignity were being insulted. This was a theme park, not a fantasy world. No room for curiosity. No room for experimentation. Only blandness, shitty textures, and no soul, nowhere. Took me two weeks to get there and never went back. And whenever I got the urge to try again I only had to think about Oblivion's gates, the all so similar dungeons and the overall crap graphics (that did not age well) to step back and fire back Morrowind (actually I think I started playing the very early builds of Mount and Blade at the time).

RapineDel

Augur
Oblivion was literally designed as a "My First RPG" title after the success of Morrowind on Xbox.

Morrowind is innovative but it hasn't aged that well. The lore/atmosphere is great, but the actual world content is extremely bare bones. It's extremely poor when compared to Gothic which doesn't aim for the big world, but is much more interesting to explore.

Bethesda's biggest problem is the adding of the quest compass made it clear that their games are completely one note. It's an addicting gameplay loop where you just jump from dungeon to dungeon, clear out generic loot and rinse and repeat. The RPG elements of both their ES and Fallout games just disguise the fact their games are a longer version of modern Far Cry.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
1) Story is dumb, amateur hour compared to Morrowind. The lore was ridiculous, generic, European fantasy setting garbage. Now, I love European fantasy settings but this one was clearly phoned-in. They needed to hire an actual fantasy author to help them figure this shit out, or at least a TSR/RPG campaign writer.
2) Stupid gameplay decisions that make no sense, like being able to become the champion of the arena in 20 minutes.
3) Level scaling.
4) Truly idiotic decisions that seem like they were implemented by a handicapped six year old child. For example, the stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid conversation mini-game. Fucking stupid. I'm going to insult you then persuade you then threaten you and somehow, if I do these things in the right order, you will give me a deal on some cabbages. Didn't anyone sit down and talk to Todd about how absolutely fucking stupid this concept is?
5) Instant fast travel. Completely ruined the game. Morrowind had it correct, and it has not changed. Limited fast travel, tied into actual game mechanics, is the best way to do this.
6) Their obsession with using celebrity voice actors made the voice acting worse, not better. In the early 2000s, the dialog/voice directors at Bethesda were clearly not capable of competently directing a guy like Patrick Stewart. He was out of their league, and it showed. The voice acting in Deus Ex, with its horrible Asian accents and Joe Friday main character, are better than this because the voice actors are not above their material. Having Patrick Stewart recite Oblivion's terrible dialog is like having Ian McShane do a commercial for herpes medication.
7) Dumbed-down skill tree. Why?

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
lol hating on oblivion is like making a serious critique of "the room" or "samurai cop" shit's so bad it's good. Yes, everyone knows it's bad, yes you're wasting energy making serious posts about this game and you look like a moron.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
If you're not on the Codex to nitpick RPGs -- an endeavor which every person on here agrees is a terrific waste of time -- then why bother crop dusting your smugfarts across the thread in such a sneering manner? I'm sure you're interested in all manner of things that Codex posters would find both "lame" and, I daresay, "gay." Should we swing by your local LARP session and tell you that your furry wizard costume looks like total shit? Or would you rather we left you alone in the church basement, to enjoy your diversions with the rest of your fellow losers?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I do talk about Bethesda games because I actually like them, like no joke. I enjoy playing that shit, especially with mods. Thing is, these games are flawed as fuck. They deserve to be criticised. So one day Bethesda will stop making the same mistakes (Very unlikely, although there now under Microsoft so who knows) and maybe to help some other devs to not fail in the same places.

Funposter

Arcane
lol hating on oblivion is like making a serious critique of "the room" or "samurai cop" shit's so bad it's good. Yes, everyone knows it's bad, yes you're wasting energy making serious posts about this game and you look like a moron.
"Everyone knows it's bad" isn't really correct though. It's most well-known in the public consciousness now as "the funny radiant AI game", and as a hallmark of late millennial nostalgia, but at the time of release it was incredibly well-received and hailed by mainstream outlets as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It's one of the games which is directly responsible for the direction that the genre took for nearly a decade before the rise of Kickstarter allowed for the release of more traditional CRPGs again. That people still discuss it to death and with such venom on this forum is proof of how disastrous it was for fans of genuine CRPGs.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
"Everyone knows it's bad" isn't really correct though. It's most well-known in the public consciousness now as "the funny radiant AI game", and as a hallmark of late millennial nostalgia, but at the time of release it was incredibly well-received and hailed by mainstream outlets as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It's one of the games which is directly responsible for the direction that the genre took for nearly a decade before the rise of Kickstarter allowed for the release of more traditional CRPGs again. That people still discuss it to death and with such venom on this forum is proof of how disastrous it was for fans of genuine CRPGs.

Oh it wasn't well received when it first launched. I remember that it got really bad review scores due to the sheer amount of bugs and broken things. Only after Bugthesda modders came in and fixed it did the game start getting positive reviews.

People discuss Oblivion like they do McDonalds. Neither are quality and yet they were the most consumed products on earth. Quantity is not quality and never has been.

Funposter

Arcane
Oh it wasn't well received when it first launched. I remember that it got really bad review scores due to the sheer amount of bugs and broken things. Only after Bugthesda modders came in and fixed it did the game start getting positive reviews.

qUVdI38.png

wSkWRmF.png

Step outside of your bubble. It was an enormous commercial and critical success that put Bethesda on the map with console gamers. Microsoft pushed the game very heavily because they needed something to sell the Xbox 360 for the two years in between the Nov 2005 launch and the release of Halo 3 in Sep 2007. What the hell sort of revisionist history is this, where we pretend that Oblivion wasn't well-received by mainstream gaming outlets in March of 2006?

Poseidon00

Arcane
I remember Oblivion being talked about as the Greatest Thing Ever by players and the gaming press alike, yeah.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

qUVdI38.png

wSkWRmF.png

Step outside of your bubble. It was an enormous commercial and critical success that put Bethesda on the map with console gamers. Microsoft pushed the game very heavily because they needed something to sell the Xbox 360 for the two years in between the Nov 2005 launch and the release of Halo 3 in Sep 2007. What the hell sort of revisionist history is this, where we pretend that Oblivion wasn't well-received by mainstream gaming outlets in March of 2006?

Yes, I'm so wrong about it that you cited paid journalist shills and a review conglomeration that is paid to suppress bad reviews.

Here's an actual review.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/03/25/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion

Unfortunately, the graphics aren't without their faults. Though you can see extremely far into the distance, far off hills will be blanketed in low resolution textures that otherwise mar a beautiful scene. Loading times may also be a bother. Not the loading times when entering doors or fast traveling around the world, those are entirely manageable. It's the loading that occurs when traveling across the land that will cause the Xbox 360 version to stutter, as well as any mid to lower end PC. The game needs to load in grass and environmental objects at regular intervals, and the ensuing pause in the action may turn some off. There's also a very visible amount of pop-in, as grass, rocks and even houses appear at the edges of your vision.

This loading setup was obviously implemented to keep framerates manageable. For the most part, it's excusable considering the stunning graphical heights Oblivion is able to reach in other places. Still, the loading stutter may bother you and the framerate as well. While the game runs at a steady clip in dungeons and indoors, you'll notice a performance hit when traveling quickly through outdoor areas and in crowded towns. These framerate drops don't so much affect the gameplay, but remain an annoyance as it takes you out of the experience. On high end PCs these framerate and loading issues are diminished, but most PC and all Xbox 360 gamers will have to put up with them to enjoy the otherwise visual delight that is The Elder Scrolls IV.

With a game this gigantic, you're going to have to expect some bugs. Morrowind had quite a few, some relatively serious, specifically with the Xbox version's "fall through the world" bug. Thankfully, Oblivion has so far proven to be a more stable product. That being said, if you play this game, you'll likely encounter crashes. Bugs include the PC version crashing to desktop and freezes during loading screens on the Xbox 360. When we first popped in our Oblivion disc it has absolutely painful loading times, but they went away the second time we fired the game up and haven't returned since. Other bugs include monsters and NPCs disappearing, clipping through walls, and strange sound glitches. Do the bugs make the game unplayable? Absolutely not. Sure, they're annoying, but they don't break the game. The sheer amount of content and breadth of gameplay options that went into this title outweighs any minor gripes that can be made about errors that crop up here and there.

I was there dude and saw it first hand.

Funposter

Arcane
Yes, I'm so wrong about it that you cited paid journalist shills and a review conglomeration that is paid to suppress bad reviews.

Here's an actual review.

Unfortunately, the graphics aren't without their faults. Though you can see extremely far into the distance, far off hills will be blanketed in low resolution textures that otherwise mar a beautiful scene. Loading times may also be a bother. Not the loading times when entering doors or fast traveling around the world, those are entirely manageable. It's the loading that occurs when traveling across the land that will cause the Xbox 360 version to stutter, as well as any mid to lower end PC. The game needs to load in grass and environmental objects at regular intervals, and the ensuing pause in the action may turn some off. There's also a very visible amount of pop-in, as grass, rocks and even houses appear at the edges of your vision.

This loading setup was obviously implemented to keep framerates manageable. For the most part, it's excusable considering the stunning graphical heights Oblivion is able to reach in other places. Still, the loading stutter may bother you and the framerate as well. While the game runs at a steady clip in dungeons and indoors, you'll notice a performance hit when traveling quickly through outdoor areas and in crowded towns. These framerate drops don't so much affect the gameplay, but remain an annoyance as it takes you out of the experience. On high end PCs these framerate and loading issues are diminished, but most PC and all Xbox 360 gamers will have to put up with them to enjoy the otherwise visual delight that is The Elder Scrolls IV.

With a game this gigantic, you're going to have to expect some bugs. Morrowind had quite a few, some relatively serious, specifically with the Xbox version's "fall through the world" bug. Thankfully, Oblivion has so far proven to be a more stable product. That being said, if you play this game, you'll likely encounter crashes. Bugs include the PC version crashing to desktop and freezes during loading screens on the Xbox 360. When we first popped in our Oblivion disc it has absolutely painful loading times, but they went away the second time we fired the game up and haven't returned since. Other bugs include monsters and NPCs disappearing, clipping through walls, and strange sound glitches. Do the bugs make the game unplayable? Absolutely not. Sure, they're annoying, but they don't break the game. The sheer amount of content and breadth of gameplay options that went into this title outweighs any minor gripes that can be made about errors that crop up here and there.

"I've done enough blabbering and hairsplitting. Is the Elder Scrolls IV worth a purchase? Definitely. If you checked the Xbox 360 page, you'll notice it got the same score as this version. If you're an RPG fan, it's an incredible experience."

"Despite any criticisms, Oblivion remains a thoroughly enjoyable, user-friendly, gorgeous experience with enough content to keep you returning time and time again."

What a scathing indictment of Bethesda and their product! You fucking retard.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Here's an actual review.

"I've done enough blabbering and hairsplitting. Is the Elder Scrolls IV worth a purchase? Definitely. If you checked the Xbox 360 page, you'll notice it got the same score as this version. If you're an RPG fan, it's an incredible experience."

"Despite any criticisms, Oblivion remains a thoroughly enjoyable, user-friendly, gorgeous experience with enough content to keep you returning time and time again."

What a scathing indictment of Bethesda and their product! You fucking retard.

Paid journalism and it's been a problem from the beginning. I noticed you ignored the bugs that were mentioned etc. Hey you like shit and more power to ya.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Paid journalism and it's been a problem from the beginning. I noticed you ignored the bugs that were mentioned etc. Hey you like shit and more power to ya.

Games journalism was always marketing but I do miss the times when you would actually see games get scores of 1 or 2 and become memes for awhile.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Games journalism was always marketing but I do miss the times when you would actually see games get scores of 1 or 2 and become memes for awhile.

I remember the early magazines of the 1980s and you got legit scores. It wasn't until the 1990s that access urinalism took off. That's why you never really saw terrible scores for obviously terrible games. Compare the IGN Oblivion review to Gamespot's Daggerfall.

Although Daggerfall does sport an absorbing storyline (several, in fact), it's the potential for adventure outside of the standard plot that is so exciting. No longer forced to play the way The Man wants, we are now free to ignore the pleadings of the princess, wander off, and get involved in other complex tales that change and evolve in response to our actions! Here lies the greatest strength and weakness of Daggerfall. Those who are looking for an adventure that follows a straight path, that they can sit down and solve, are bound to be terrified (and annoyed) by the entropic nature of this game. Since, as in the real world, events take place at certain times and in certain places, it's also very easy for players to stray accidentally from the beaten path, just because they decided to stop for a bite to eat. It's also easy to get wrapped up in struggles between the game's various guilds without even meaning to. If you join a guild, you instantly make several new friends and even more enemies, and open up new adventure opportunities. The sheer size of this product is staggering, and even the most open-minded player is certain to be overwhelmed at times by the thousands of people to talk to, the scores of weapons and spells to keep up with, the hundreds of books to read, and the vast amount of landscape to cover in the game. To play Daggerfall successfully requires one of two mind-sets: to remain ever-vigilant, taking notes and going exactly when and where you're told; or to relax and let life take you where it will.

Daggerfall is not without its problems. By creating such a large world, Bethesda must have made it impossible for play testers to even scratch the surface of the play possibilities. Players who are determined to push the envelope - crawling, jumping, and swimming into every crevice of the landscape - are sure to find themselves stuck between two polygons with no way to continue except for suicide. Along these same lines is the game's tendency to crash occasionally for what seems to be no reason at all. Patches are bound to be forthcoming, but for now my recommendation is to save early and save often.

For those willing to exercise a little patience with its quirks, Daggerfall will deliver some of the most entertaining and absorbing adventures available. Those who are even the slightest bit put off by subtle storylines or RPG statistics, however, will probably find the game totally unbearable. The bottom line is this: RPGs have always attracted a fanatical core group, and this title was designed with those hard-core gamers in mind. For the rest of you, play another round of Quake and leave the adventuring to the pros.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/daggerfall-review/1900-2538495/

That's honesty right there. Daggerfall got bad reviews as well due to some bugs that could make the game unplayable or just kill your progression through the game.

Funposter

Arcane

When did I say that I liked the game? I said that mainstream journalists and consumers liked it. It's called reading comprehension, you spastic. A review mentioning bugs does not take away from the final verdict being "go buy this game!", nor does it support your initial assertion that "it wasn't well received when it first launched. I remember that it got really bad review scores due to the sheer amount of bugs and broken things. Only after Bugthesda modders came in and fixed it did the game start getting positive reviews." You haven't provided an example of a "bad review score", or an example of "the game [starting to get] positive reviews" after "modders came in and fixed it."

Face the facts: it was immensely popular at release. It was all anybody was talking about on gaming forums for months after launch. It put Bethesda on the map with console gamers and was so successful that they have never needed another company to publish one of their games again. There's a reason you don't see the 2K logo when you boot up Fallout 3 or Skyrim. This is not an endorsement of Oblivion or me saying that I like the game. It's simply the reality of the situation. People liked it. You're either willfully ignorant or stupid if you can't recognise that. People like lots of shitty things, that's the way the world works.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

When did I say that I liked the game? I said that mainstream journalists and consumers liked it. It's called reading comprehension, you spastic. A review mentioning bugs does not take away from the final verdict being "go buy this game!", nor does it support your initial assertion that "it wasn't well received when it first launched. I remember that it got really bad review scores due to the sheer amount of bugs and broken things. Only after Bugthesda modders came in and fixed it did the game start getting positive reviews." You haven't provided an example of a "bad review score", or an example of "the game [starting to get] positive reviews" after "modders came in and fixed it."

Face the facts: it was immensely popular at release. It was all anybody was talking about on gaming forums for months after launch. It put Bethesda on the map with console gamers and was so successful that they have never needed another company to publish one of their games again. There's a reason you don't see the 2K logo when you boot up Fallout 3 or Skyrim. This is not an endorsement of Oblivion or me saying that I like the game. It's simply the reality of the situation. People liked it. You're either willfully ignorant or stupid if you can't recognise that. People like lots of shitty things, that's the way the world works.

Face the facts that it wasn't. Were you alive at the time Zoomer? But hey I can quote shit sources, but I refuse to do so. Again you are citing the quantity is quality argument.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I personally remember being blown away by the graphics and only seeing the "potato heads" years after release after better tech showed what was possible and basically seeing it as the pinnacle of rpgs for a while. Even though I grew up on more traditional stuff that I vastly prefer to this day.

Funposter

Arcane

Face the facts that it wasn't. Were you alive at the time Zoomer? But hey I can quote shit sources, but I refuse to do so. Again you are citing the quantity is quality argument.

You can't quote sources because the nearest thing to a negative review from a mainstream source was the one posted on this website. This isn't an example of "quantity is quality" because I'm not arguing that the game is good. I am, however, arguing that high sales figures and overwhelmingly positive critic and user reviews are proof that it was liked by a vast majority of people. You are again confusing an objective statement with my opinion, and are once again refusing to step outside of your bubble. I was alive at the time. I got the game for my 13th birthday, as did hundreds of thousands of other teenagers who owned Xbox 360s. This is such a ridiculous argument to even be having. Who the fuck lives in a world where Oblivion wasn't popular? It was an immense success.

Edit: I'll hide these in a spoiler tag, but some comparisons from Google Trends between Oblivion and Gears of Wars, Grand Theft Auto IV (difficult to find the best search term, admittedly) and Halo 3.

Ock3THq.png

wQvI16Y.png

sb82r94.png

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
The voice acting in Deus Ex, with its horrible Asian accents and Joe Friday main character, are better than this because the voice actors are not above their material.

Just a reminder for people: The worst voices in Deus Ex are the ones they hired actors for while the internally sourced voices were all fine. Alex Jacobson in the top five most voiced lines in the game, yet nobody has an issue with his voice was done by Ion Storm's Richard Gaubert (who is now reduced to doing reboot God of War).

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

You can't quote sources because the nearest thing to a negative review from a mainstream source was the one posted on this website. This isn't an example of "quantity is quality" because I'm not arguing that the game is good. I am, however, arguing that high sales figures and overwhelmingly positive critic and user reviews are proof that it was liked by a vast majority of people. You are again confusing an objective statement with my opinion, and are once again refusing to step outside of your bubble. I was alive at the time. I got the game for my 13th birthday, as did hundreds of thousands of other teenagers who owned Xbox 360s. This is such a ridiculous argument to even be having. Who the fuck lives in a world where Oblivion wasn't popular? It was an immense success.

I did cite a source that said what I did. It wasn't received well due to the bugs or did you miss that part? Oh you glossed right over it because it didn't suit your narrative. Now this my last reply to you princess on this subject.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom