Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Why I fell out of love with KOTOR

Maxie

I liked kotor back in the day when I was learning English by playing it over and over again
Now that I know what the fuck is kotor about I don't like it that much

Shadenuat

Arcane
Stop excusing KOTOR2 for terrible gameplay, it's literally Curst Prisons stacked on top of each other which happen to have Kreia locked inside somewhere. Anyone who dares must be made to backtrack through Nar Shadda and 500 doors with enemies and awful JRPG cutscenes and plotjumps and trays academy again, until redemption.
If Obsidian were so great, then they would improve KOTOR1 (a competently crafted piece of fanservice for whatever its worth) in both writing and gameplay.

Absinthe

Arcane
Some people do consider KotOR 2 a flawed masterpiece though.

Screw you. It's just a masterpiece. Yeah, it has some flaws, but they don't matter that much.

Everything has some flaws. But if the flaws are minor they don't deserve to be put in a condensed 2 world description.
The combat in KotOR 2 is complete and utter shit. The QoL complaints in this thread apply to KotOR 2 also. It's also missing huge swathes of content, and even with the Restored Content Mod doing great work to try to redeem what they can, there's a lot of shit that just went unfinished because Obsidian never got around to making it in the first place. If you can't handle the fact that a game like that would be called "flawed", something is wrong with you.

Is it the worst cRPG of all time? Not even close.
Is it the worst thing that happened to cRPGs? Yeah... probably.
KOTOR marks the beginning of consolized nuBioware and "cinematic approach" in cRPGs. Horrible poison that pollutes our niche of gaming to this day.
KOTOR is a game where the decline runs strong. It is something of the old Bioware, but it was fueled by consoles. It corrupts all that it touches - drowns it in the power of the cinematic popamole.
KotOR didn't set that trend. It was following a trend that RPG developers were already heading towards. Your post reeks of melodramatic bullshit, honestly.

Absinthe

Arcane
[UCHIHA]XxDarkSasuke420xX, why the fuck did you quote that massive wall of text in its entirety when you weren't even going to respond to any of it anyway? Also, your nick is gay. Reads exactly like the kind of shit 13-year-olds used as their handle on AOL Instant Messenger 20 years ago.

EDIT: Those posts have been retardo'd to here.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
To think some mod (Infinitron ?) probably read the entire post before approving it to be posted from a new account :?

I approved it. And why not?

- This is this poster's very first post here, and he (or she) clearly put a lot of effort into it
- It is long, informed, and thorough
- It is rather entertaining to read, albeit quite a chore due to its length
- It is well-written, free of glaring grammatical errors, and well-organized
- It does not contain any offensive or objectionable content

Who are we to censor? Who are we to pick-and-choose what posters and which of their posts -- ones made in earnest with a sincere message to convey, that is -- belong in GRPG and which do not?

Just because this is the singly most bizarre and disturbing initial post that I've read from a brand-new poster in a long, long time, that doesn't mean I'm not going to approve it. On the contrary, whether you like it or not, this is exactly the kind of content that makes RPG Codex what it is.

To the op, I say, bravo.

Absinthe

Arcane
Yeah Crispy is in the right here, but I want to point out that if a poster's name is "Mr. Pickles", he discusses wanting a gf, and has spent time in the army, it's probably a safe call to say that he's a man. I mean, I guess it could be a lesbian using her pet's name as an account name, but that just seems unlikely.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah Crispy is in the right here, but I want to point out that if a poster's name is "Mr. Pickles", he discusses wanting a gf, and has spent time in the army, it's probably a safe call to say that he's a man. I mean, I guess it could be a lesbian using her pet's name as an account name, but that just seems unlikely.
Assuming someone's gender will be a hate crime soon, so we might as well start practicing right now. Please avoid tarnishing this site's reputation.

Absinthe

Arcane
Nah, not everyone is out to have others agree with them or switch to their way of thinking, especially on the codex.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Could be the cat too, those are devious fuckers. Typing isn't beyond their cunning.
19111317991-MrPicklesS02_1appHeader_b81a17.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I, too, recently replayed kotor. I hadn't played the game since its initial release so it's been a while. The game was a lot worse than I remembered. Almost infantile, especially the dark side conversation options, and the less said about combat and game balance/difficulty the better. It was buggy as shit too. Wasn't really worth the replay, though I did like the hub world design and wish more games opted for that instead of open world.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, it annoys me that some people try to act edgy as an attempt to "fit in" on the codex.
You're the only guy here who responded to OP seriously, so I reckon you're the minority here. And posters in this thread are generally oldfags, so "The Spirit of The Place", I guess?

If you go digging in the old threads, before buttons existed on the codex, you see that the conversation was centered much more around game discussion instead of edgelordism.
Idk when it changed, since I am surprisingly not an alt, but the discussion culture used to be better. Part of what drew me here is digging through old threads. Better posts and the only buttons around are brofists retroactively given from JCDs scripts.

Absinthe

Arcane
If you go digging in the old threads, before buttons existed on the codex, you see that the conversation was centered much more around game discussion instead of edgelordism. Idk when it changed, since I am surprisingly not an alt, but the discussion culture used to be better. Part of what drew me here is digging through old threads. Better posts and the only buttons around are brofists retroactively given from JCDs scripts.
While there are a few too many retards on the Codex nowadays who seriously give a fuck about ratings, the bigger problem has more to do with megathreads than anything else. Most megathreads tend to become their own subcommunities which don't handle criticism of their game too well. You tend to get much better quality discussion if you start new threads on interesting questions rather than post into a thread that's gone for over 80 pages. There's no rule on the Codex that you have to post into megathreads. There's also no rule that you can't post into one of those old threads you found so interesting and continue where it left off.

Part of the rise of edgelordism comes from new members stemming from social media websites like Facebook and Reddit where people devote too much effort to trying to "fit in" with whatever they perceive to be the subculture or places like 4chan where the average retard is used to treating forum engagement as an extended edgy LARP to fit in, really. When it comes to people giving too much of a fuck about ratings, the biggest problems are people trying to funny farm with their edgy posts and the occasional idiot who thinks arguments are won or lost by the amount of positive and negative ratings the posts in the argument receive.

Pegultagol

Erudite
If there was ever going to be a remaster of a Bioware RPG, it should be this, along with the director's cut of KOTOR2, instead of Mass Effect.

Risewild

Arbiter
One thing I've learned from being a lifelong video game enthusiast is people don't want to entertain the idea that something they love isn't actually all that great. To be fair nobody wants to watch their sacred cow get torn down.
I am the exact opposite of this. The more I like something, the more I tear it down. Because when I love something, I see the problems in it, and it annoys me that those problems are there. And how much better whatever I like would be without that stuff there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Stop excusing KOTOR2 for terrible gameplay, it's literally Curst Prisons stacked on top of each other which happen to have Kreia locked inside somewhere. Anyone who dares must be made to backtrack through Nar Shadda and 500 doors with enemies and awful JRPG cutscenes and plotjumps and trays academy again, until redemption.
If Obsidian were so great, then they would improve KOTOR1 (a competently crafted piece of fanservice for whatever its worth) in both writing and gameplay.

The orgasms people have over KotOR 2 just because Kreia is a conservative and the wound in the force idea is cool annoys the hell out of me. Everything else about that game is painfully average or worse. I just recently replayed it too, with the restored content and blah blah blah. The storytelling is still choppy as hell, and the game still suffers from KotOR's shitty Xbox design. I get that there's some great writing in it, I do, but it just doesn't make up for everything else.

Bioware's game has the same shitty Xbox design, but it at least feels finished.

Mr. Pickles

Literate
I've been lurking in my thread and others for a few weeks now just to get a feel for this place. I definitely expected the TL;DR responses but I didn't really expect all the rest. Is it normal here for people to go on weird basically off topic shitflinging duels? Or to just completely ignore what's in the OP and drop your own opinion about the topic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom