Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Gothic series so culty?

Not.AI

Learned
Some people don't want fun games. They want bad games so long as they are low on jank.

Because they "play" with their brain turned off on autopilot. Follow the quest markers is the game they want.

What jank really breaks is connect the dots gameplay. In a fun game, jank doesn't break the game as much because the player mostly stands around and thinks before acting.

Fearlessjay

Novice
I loved both games on release. Don't think they've aged that well though. Gothic was pretty unique for it's time.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Gothic has barely aged at all gameplay wise, unless you're one of these cattlebrain retards who has a panic attack over tank controls and really the only aspect of which gothic feels unwieldly is fighting multiple opponents, which is actually due to how the targeting system works as opposed to the controls. Visually yes, gothic looks old, G1 in particular has awful geometry. G2 on the other hand, has aged very well, and looks great with a DX11 renderer. Actually, cast in modern lighting and draw distances, G2's world shows off how impressively dense it is, especially for the time.

Really, you'd be hard pressed to name better ARPGs than G2. I play the gothics a few times a year, usually getting further each time and having fun but ultimately getting distracted and dropping it. Not a mark against them, because by way of comparison, I try to replay morrowind every year after some cunt hoodwinks me with bullshit about how its akshully the greatest game ever, and every time, its fucking awful. Ugly as sin and boring, the ultimate LARPer game for people who might as well go read a book.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why don't you just try it and see for yourself? I tried Gothic in 2009 for the first time, and it just sucked me in right away. Great music, great atmosphere, great quests, gritty low-fantasy setting, and so on.

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
The rare kind of games that don't age and can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't a retard. No matter how many times i replayed G1-2 in 20+ years i still love them. Once you get over the 'jank' and weird controls you'll experience open world game unlike any other.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Im Pole and never heard about gothic up until i joined codex.
Tried it recently with all the systempack and community patches, and it still couldn't replace the shitty camera movement and inventory keybinding, so i had to drop it. It had aged badly, and such jank is unacceptable today at least for me. Why germans went for that retarded control scheme is truly a mystery, but i guess germans have to make everything unique and complicated, just like their tanks back in WW2.

Fargus

Arcane
My nephew who was a teenager at the time completed both games multiple times and then years later Archolos.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Im Pole and never heard about gothic up until i joined codex.
Tried it recently with all the systempack and community patches, and it still couldn't replace the shitty camera movement and inventory keybinding, so i had to drop it. It had aged badly, and such jank is unacceptable today at least for me. Why germans went for that retarded control scheme is truly a mystery, but i guess germans have to make everything unique and complicated, just like their tanks back in WW2.

this is why nobody likes you

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
NES controller has more buttons than G1 and 2 use keys.

41ODnwzURFL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Unwanted

†††

Patron
It had aged badly
You aged badly. Your quote is the result of atrophying your gamer skills with modern popamole so much that you cannot adapt to non-modern standard control schemes and modern responsiveness. The equivalent of virtual sedentariness. If a guy can't run anymore, he doesn't say running as an activity has aged badly. No, he aged badly.

Ladonna

Arcane
I couldn't find G1 and 2 for sale in Australia. I read about it on Underdogs, and managed to get two second hand games from Thailand via ebay. The boxes were all in Thai, but the manuals were in English, and the games played fine. It doesn't surprise me that they weren't big hits outside certain areas of the world, because they were so difficult to get hold of.

Anyway, great games.

Curratum

Gothic has always been a hideous game, was hideous back then, is hideous now, all the same. The second one is almost bearable, but then again, so is very gently smacking at your dick with a mallet - not something you'd ever want to do.

The German writing can bore you to a stupor, the controls are horrible beyond description and the graphics looked like ass even back in the day. Anyone who attempts to convince you otherwise is probably not entirely ok in the head.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's the best written German game I know, what's so boring about the writing?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's just an example. I'm saying that of course the writing isn't going to be that good or interesting in English. The localization was famously mediocre.

In German the game uses incredibly naturalistic German and was the first RPG to do so. It felt fresh. It was as if I were talking to real Germans.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some codexers are too retadred to even be able to manage pushing a few keys in somewhat less common order/combination. Honestly, I'm not even that surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom