Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why was shoutbox banned?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
just use twitter or something like it

That would probably be bothersome, also it'd be weird to start blogging it in the middle of a playthrough.

playing Wrathfinder

I like you Roguey. You shouldn't torture yourself like that, no matter what sins you may think you committed.

I'm writing a review and it started getting fun in chapter 2.

notes I left there that I may have wanted to refer to later are no longer accessible
ask your buddy shitbox bot

I thought it was deleted as well but I see it's still around https://rpgcodex.net/forums/chat/archive/ thanks

Codex Year of the Donut
So go ahead and post the proof.
hi, here's a user encouraging me to commit suicide(which is illegal)
I reported it and got told to stop posting by the admin that responded(guess which)
JEym8An.png

Imagine having enough money not to work your entire life and choosing to spent it fully schizoing, obsessing and relentlessly insulting women on an internet forum and thinking you get to call anyone anything. 50k posts in five years ffs. That's 30 posts a day, every day, without fail. For five fucking years. Go kill yourself already you pathetic waste of space.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I reported it and got told to stop posting by the admin that responded(guess which)
JEym8An.png

Imagine having enough money not to work your entire life and choosing to spent it fully schizoing, obsessing and relentlessly insulting women on an internet forum and thinking you get to call anyone anything. 50k posts in five years ffs. That's 30 posts a day, every day, without fail. For five fucking years. Go kill yourself already you pathetic waste of space.

No, I Retardo'd it. Shitpost all you want, but leave out comments about killing one's self.
kill yourself, faggot

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/members/sevensideddice.26156/#profile-post-70136

rusty_shackleford said:
I'll pay you $20 to kill yourself

I'm sorry I just can't take you seriously after reading most of your posts since 2018. You really have the most shit taste of anybody here. Sumdrunkguy has better taste than you and he doesn't own a computer. It's hilarious.

:killitwithfire:
then put me on ignore and promptly kill yourself

Banned rusty_shackleford for committing several illegals.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Untrue. Not many places allow discussing how ESRB rating is changing gaming and media from the ground up. Not many places allow true dissention since arguing is usually discouraged. Most forums nowadays enforce precisely what you want, the codex is (was?) the exception.
I'm talking about culture war BS, which is seeping into topics even outside of GD. Some of it gets removed, most doesn't.

I fail to see what an ESRB discussion about rating labels would have to do with people obsessing over some user because of what is (or isn't) between their legs or the first few posts under a game announcement asking just how "woke" a particular game is, since it features a female person or whatever, or a lengthy and entirely unnecessary discussion starting about a game that deviates from a classic male/female selection by offering another option, etc.
All those things are happening here very regularly, and all of them are being brought to us by the same people - no, I would definitely not miss them.

Most forums I know do not enforce what I want, they actually enforce the exact opposite - political BS is allowed, even desired and encouraged, but only if you agree with the administration. REeeeera or RPG.net would be prime examples of that.

This place, by sticking to the idea of "all sides allowed" has attracted pretty much only people trying to argue one side - not by its own fault, but because that side is banned in most other bigger gaming forums.
It's become a refuge for that kind of discussion and that kind of person.
Like now people being part of the staff that have nothing better to do than pseudo-doxing and harassing/shaming (or trying to) users for no reason other than they don't like em.

The point is the cut won't be as clean as you think. You must realize that your opinion, as legit as it may be, is contrary to the the spirit of this place? You call it a gaming forum, that's not wrong but denying this place history and notoriety is completely disingeneous. Some of the best posters here, those with an encyclopedic knoweledge of their favoured niche, are here precisely because of the loose moderation rules.
A loose moderation applied to not having to butter up your words and being allowed to sling some insults around and give devs an honest, unfiltered opinion is one thing - and totally fine, can make for way more amusing banter.

A loose moderation that just doesn't give a fuck, allows gaming topics to be endlessly derailed into culture war stuff just so a few people can virtue signal to their peers, allows personal vendettas to be had in public topics, etc.? Just pushes people away who want to discuss games without that kind of BS.

I don't give a rat's ass about the encyclopedic knowledge of assholes dragging their politics into everything.

You're sure the half remaining would be worth interacting with? Because I know a number of educated good posters that would simply leave.
I'm not sure, no.
But I do not see how it could be any worse than it is now.
Would definitely be worth the experiment to me.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JEym8An.png

No, I Retardo'd it. Shitpost all you want, but leave out comments about killing one's self.
kill yourself, faggot

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/members/sevensideddice.26156/#profile-post-70136

rusty_shackleford said:
I'll pay you $20 to kill yourself

I'm sorry I just can't take you seriously after reading most of your posts since 2018. You really have the most shit taste of anybody here. Sumdrunkguy has better taste than you and he doesn't own a computer. It's hilarious.

:killitwithfire:
then put me on ignore and promptly kill yourself

Banned rusty_shackleford for committing several illegals.
CIA agents in shambles -- what do they now do to kill time on a boring day at the office?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are enough places to vent on the net, no need to provide that functionality in a gaming forum.
Going by the results of this poll (500 votes), this is primarily a free speech forum and only secondarily a gaming forum.
And I'd be absolutely delighted to "lose" the 50% that come here only because their BS is tolerated, not because they are actually interested in talking games.
One could only imagine the improvements that would bring to this place.

When Reeeera split off from NeoGAF, it lost at least 50% of its users.
And now NeoGAF is a much better forum to post in.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
And I'd be absolutely delighted to "lose" the 50% that come here only because their BS is tolerated, not because they are actually interested in talking games.
If you dislike this place so much that you want to ban 50% of the users, might I suggest you go somewhere else?

Apparently this forum is not about what you want.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'm talking about culture war BS, which is seeping into topics even outside of GD. Some of it gets removed, most doesn't.

Ok but it wasn't the topic at hand. You're simply conflating the two issues.
I fail to see what an ESRB discussion about rating labels would have to do with people obsessing over some user because of what is (or isn't) between their legs or the first few posts under a game announcement asking just how "woke" a particular game is, since it features a female person or whatever, or a lengthy and entirely unnecessary discussion starting about a game that deviates from a classic male/female selection by offering another option, etc.
All those things are happening here very regularly, and all of them are being brought to us by the same people - no, I would definitely not miss them.

Most forums I know do not enforce what I want, they actually enforce the exact opposite - political BS is allowed, even desired and encouraged, but only if you agree with the administration. REeeeera or RPG.net would be prime examples of that.

This place, by sticking to the idea of "all sides allowed" has attracted pretty much only people trying to argue one side - not by its own fault, but because that side is banned in most other bigger gaming forums.
It's become a refuge for that kind of discussion and that kind of person.
Like now people being part of the staff that have nothing better to do than pseudo-doxing and harassing/shaming (or trying to) users for no reason other than they don't like em.

Again, your opinion relating said users is legit. It's your solution I disagree with. You call it culture war BS but the dividing line is quite blurry. It sounds like your ideal board would be one where you make the rules yourself, frankly speaking. Nothing wrong with that but def not the solution here imho. I respect you but I'd loathe that kind of intrusiveness in what is or isn't allowed.

A loose moderation applied to not having to butter up your words and being allowed to sling some insults around and give devs an honest, unfiltered opinion is one thing - and totally fine, can make for way more amusing banter.

A loose moderation that just doesn't give a fuck, allows gaming topics to be endlessly derailed into culture war stuff just so a few people can virtue signal to their peers, allows personal vendettas to be had in public topics, etc.? Just pushes people away who want to discuss games without that kind of BS.

But this is precisely the kind of culture that makes this place what it is. I understand what you mean and I don't disagree with the irksome derailed discussions, I just find easy to ignore the current level of white noise and wouldn't want solutions enforcing an artificial kind of balance.
Because I know such variables aren't as easily and cleanly manipulated as you think they are. Imagine the amount of legit and hateful trolling the place would receive. Best case scenario, it would take the admins months if not years to give the boards the kind of stability you argue for. Or do you think such a change wouldn't warrant hundreds or thousands of new alts to be created over months, just to stirr up the pot and troll?

I'm not sure, no.
But I do not see how it could be any worse than it is now.
Would definitely be worth the experiment to me.

The experiment would be a point of no return. Experiments are conducted in controlled environments. Some experiments simply cannot be done without challenging the very moral of a society.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is an interesting conversation but for once it doesn't have anything to do with what happened. These events had nothing to do with people being angry and political in gaming discussions or even in GD. This is pure unfiltered Shoutbox drama that went straight to Site Feedback.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you dislike this place so much that you want to ban 50% of the users, might I suggest you go somewhere else?

could say same thing about a certain current events. But i will digress on the irony.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You're barking up the wrong tree. Nobody would be discussing the kulturkrieg if leftists didn't make everything political.

Movies, games, books, cartoons, comics. Everything is politicized, everything is used for propaganda. If you want to blame someone, blame the people shoving politics into everything, not us for pointing it out.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Or, I just stick around and wait if it does or doesn't improve to my liking.
I'm a masochist like that.
Things like removing shoutbox give me that sliver of hope, you know.
Even if it is only temporary to piss people off :lol:

But this is precisely the kind of culture that makes this place what it is.
The first kind of looseness is, sure.
The second one is a relatively recent development, that came up as the culture wars in general heated up. It's not a blurry line at all.
And it can be curtailed quite well as other places show (rpgpub, for example, small as it is - or NeoGAF, though that seems to be taking a turn to allow political BS as well now).
It's really not that difficult to enact a "leave your politics at the door" rule - there's some moderator interpretation room, certainly, but most moderation rules have that.

Because I know such variables aren't as easily and cleanly manipulated as you think they are. Imagine the amount of legit and hateful trolling the place would receive. Best case scenario, it would take the admins months if not years to give the boards the kind of stability you argue for. Or do you think such a change wouldn't warrant hundreds or thousands of new alts to be created over months, just to stirr up the pot and troll?
Eh, the vast majority would just seek new shores. More than enough around from Twitter to smaller sites like geeksandgamers, boundingintocomics, etc.
You completely overestimate the dedication of some sad individual hiding behind online anonymity spouting their anger.

The current instability is only a result of not enacting more sensible rules in the first place.
Sure it'd take a while for things to settle, but I'm quite certain it would be more than worth it.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Nobody would be discussing the kulturkrieg if leftists didn't make everything political.

Movies, games, books, cartoons, comics. Everything is politicized, everything is used for propaganda. If you want to blame someone, blame the people shoving politics into everything, not us for pointing it out.
Thank you for the Q.E.D, mr horseshoe.
Not that it was really needed...

This is an interesting conversation but for once it doesn't have anything to do with what happened. These events had nothing to do with people being angry and political in gaming discussions or even in GD. This is pure unfiltered Shoutbox drama that went straight to Site Feedback.
I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with what happened.
The looseness about these things is what attracted the people who conjured up the drama in the first place.
Shoutbox just made it easier due to the nature of instant chat.

Dexter

Arcane
Oh dear, maybe the Turtle Zone will have to set up a discord.
Discord is for Trannies.
If those people decide to either get their shit together and do the culture war BS elsewhere or just leave, it'll be a boon to the forum.
There are enough places to vent on the net, no need to provide that functionality in a gaming forum.
Untrue. Not many places allow discussing how ESRB rating is changing gaming and media from the ground up. Not many places allow true dissention since arguing is usually discouraged. Most forums nowadays enforce precisely what you want, the codex is (was?) the exception. What places are left to vent, for those that consider modern gaming trends decline? Legit question, if you can provide some links.

As for the functionality of GD itself, most boards traditionally offered an OT section. You don't like you just ignore it. If those bad posters you refer to only post there, I fail to see how they distort your forum experience so much that you'd be fine throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
The only way you get back to "gaming discussion" is by making games about gaming again instead of ESG ratings, dIvErSiTy, RePrEsEnTaTiOn, gender/racial ideology and quotas or whatever else is on the minds of color-haired Woke developers in California. If these things are included in the game then they're going to be commented on, either by tongue-bathing the developers with praise like various "journalistic outlets" and Awards shows or by players noticing these things in the games and posting videos and content from said specific games with cringe Screenshots of weird changes from "All Gender" restroom signs, to race-swapped characters that suddenly mention their boyfriend/girlfriend a lot, to in-game graffiti where some developer expresses their political opinions and other Virtue Signalling. If developers deliberately include these themes into their games to make some sort of political point, then talking about them is talking about the games.

You got to just look at some of the highest profile releases of early 2023: Forspoken, Dead Space Remake and Hogwarts Legacy. 20% of the Steam threads regarding them are (or were) about the obvious topics, despite Steam forums being a lot more ban-happy nowadays and developers generally anal in trying to "keep them clean". Chans are full of Memes and Cringe, Twatter users are going to talk about it (especially now with a bit more freedom allowed) and YouTubers are going to make videos about it. Other gaming forums might want to shill for them because "representation" or ban discussing them outright because someone they don't like is tangentially involved in their production and "gaming journalism" might pick up the flag and try to rally around it. You're not going to get people to stop talking about said even if you go Full Stalin or Hitler, you might just get them to only be able to post the "approved" position. "There's this big elephant in the room, but don't look at it, point it out or talk about it." usually doesn't work, even if you have quasi-Totalitarian control over all means of communication and all the people outside wouldn't point, talk and laugh about it, let alone on some small gaming forum.

I kind of doubt that when "thesheeep" says he wants people to "talk about games" he actually means it either, especially since he is wont to at times participate in such discussions himself. He probably just wants it to ping-pong in the direction he deems politically acceptable. Like how NeoFAG ping-ponged from being the progressive asshole of gaming forums to people being able to mention the obvious again after self-purging their user-base of the People of Pronouns (and doing so regarding the above mentioned games), only the other way around. If he wanted games to not be derailed into discussions about broader political issues, then might I suggest he take it upon himself to lobby developers to stop injecting them into said games and bringing them up in every other interview?

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Remind yourself that you are currently simping for a reeeesetera deject that spend half of his day lauding the virtue of anarcho-communism, or how the current issue with blizzard is the misogynistic abuse of the female staff.
But both side bad, amirite.

The thing kept pushing culture wars issue , only to act outraged when being called out, and you're also trying to pretend the problem was with people noticing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom