1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls Will the Elder Scrolls 6 have more depth than Morrowind

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by the mole, May 8, 2020.

?

Can it get worse

1. No

28 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Yes

177 vote(s)
    80.5%
  3. No but it wont get much better

15 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Avarize Savant

Avarize
    So when Skyrim made a gazillion dollars more than its predecessors, it happened because Todd was stupid? How does Hanlon's razor apply to Broad appeal vs stupidity anyway? Do you think appealing to a larger audience on purpose is malicious?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    You claim Todd made the games dumb on purpose and not because he actually thinks his dumb ideas are cool. You're an idiot, and you would figure that out if you ever watched/read any interview with him and listened to the things he says.
    End of discussion.

If it dumbs the game down? Yes, it is malicious to me as a player who doesn't go around LARPing a town guard.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. sys0nar Educated

sys0nar
    If you could choose between:

Millions of dollars to make a mainstream appealing RPG
    or
    Make a true RPG and go out of buisness

We all know what you'd pick.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Avarize Savant

Avarize
    I think Todd makes games to make money and as such makes games with the broadest possible appeal and he has succeeded in that. And you honestly think he makes dumb games cause he's dumb? Sounds like projection.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Assisted Living Godzilla Liturgist

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Skyrim sold like Skyrim did because they were coming off Fallout 3, (which itself was a massively bigger success than what they previously did) and they actually put some money into marketing...Skyrim was one of the few video games to actually get primetime network tv spots. They could have made that game a RPG, had combat that wasn't shit, (or at least as shit, I'm not sure they're capable of making entirely non-shitty combat) made locations like Morrowind, and generally not have everything so dumbed down and it would've sold just as well.

Most of what seems like Bethesda's broad appeal moves in Skyrim, Fallout 4, and then later in Fallout 76 seem to be things their audience also don't really like, even if they do still more or less like what a Bethesda game allows them to do.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Avarize Savant

Avarize
    Dumbing your game down does have diminishing returns and Bethesda has probably passed that point.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MWaser Arbiter

MWaser
    Skyrim does hit that sweetspot for autistic grindy sandbox, that's for sure. It's got that basic gameplay loop of explore->level up->loot->craft->sell to level up all skills and gain direct xp levels from (in a simplified mechanic even compared to the previous TES games), while developing a stable exponential power progression if you make use of smithing+enchanting, and offering all those radiant quests to not let you run short of dungeons. For people who don't look past the greater picture of it, it will be successful attention catcher, working off the same basic psychology as the majority of the most famous mobile games.

"simplifying it for broad appeal" is cutting it short - Skyrim is in many ways deliberately planned to be the way it is, with changes that differ significantly from simple dumbing down. The end results do end up mostly showing off the simplification, sure, but it's not fair to only lay it down to the generic argument of "it's simpler, therefore it's more popular". It's a fallacious interpretation of the Lowest Common Denominator appeal. If Skyrim was already sufficiently simple to broadly hit the target audience of people who like "games where you fight things with swords and magic", dumbing it down further will just reduce the amount of possible things for people to spend time in, therefore be less interesting and shorter-lived.

^ Top  
  8. Funposter Liturgist

Funposter
    Which is what happened with Fallout 4, which sold around 1/3-1/2 of walk Skyrim did.

^ Top  
  9. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Of course it will have more depth. See that ditch over there? You can drown yourself in it. It's filled with nerd tears by the way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. deama Liturgist

deama
    I heard that elder scrolls 6 is gonna be todd's magnum opus, and he's planning on retiring after making it.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Darkwind Learned

Darkwind
    "Forget it Jake, it's the Codex..."

:shitandpiss:

^ Top  
  12. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
  13. CaffeineConquistador Learned

CaffeineConquistador
    You’re getting shittier and shittier games, what do you think?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Avarize Savant

Avarize
    Ignoring your original audience is not malice, indifference at most.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MWaser Arbiter

MWaser
    I suggest you look up the definition of "malice".

^ Top  
  16. Xelocix Educated

Xelocix
    Modern Bethesda couldn't make a game with more depth than tic-tac-toe if they tried.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Agame Arcane Patron

Agame
    Insert Title Here
    The question is how low does the bar go.

We all think Skyrim is bad but where does it end? Will Elder Scrolls 10 be Candy Crush with mudcrabs?

• incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Alexander DeLarge Arbiter

Alexander DeLarge
    I hear this argument all the time but I genuinely do not believe that an Elder Scrolls game with a reactive world filled with meaningful choices would ultimately be any less successful than Skyrim. What does a mechanic like spellcrafting and an optional journal so I'm not forced to follow the quest arrow take away from casuals?

Every time this sort of thing is discussed, I think about dreamboy and how much better these games would be with elements that take absolutely fucking nothing away from the casuals they're supposedly dumbing down these games for. It'd still be dumbed down shit but at least you'd have a decent foundation to build upon for modding purposes.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Krivol Liturgist

Krivol
    Less successful - maybe not. More expensive - yes!

AAA developers usually are sticking with templates. Why risk and spend a lot of money and effort on something deep, if what people want is runnig hills with naked sword.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    You are too generous.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Hahahaha people think that Bethesda will just let people mod ESO 6

^ Top  
  22. Avarize Savant

Avarize
    Retards will still be buying TES 6 cosmetics made by modders ten years after release. Endless user generated DLC and microtransactions.

^ Top  
  23. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    lmao 10 years in making and still no official announcement.
    this will be shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    I’m 100% confident someone in a Bethesda board meeting has already suggested they drop the Elder Scrolls name entirely and just call the next game Skyrim 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.