Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

vibehunter

Learned
It's going to be nothing like the original. Not even the prospect of a better combat system is particularly enticing, as CDPR have never designed a good combat system to begin with.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh what a beautiful catastrophe is in the making...
It's actually way more hopeful, given some ex-CDPR devs are in charge.

It'd be a guaranteed catastrophe if CDPR themselves threw their international menagerie of trannies, vegans, and dangerhairs at this. Afaik it's OUTSIDE of CDPR where all the good potato devs are nowadays.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Oh what a beautiful catastrophe is in the making...
It's actually way more hopeful, given some ex-CDPR devs are in charge.

It'd be a guaranteed catastrophe if CDPR themselves threw their international menagerie of trannies, vegans, and dangerhairs at this. Afaik it's OUTSIDE of CDPR where all the good potato devs are nowadays.
Well, I shall have to grant you that there is *some* measure of hope. But this is the KKKodex. We don't mention such things. :rpgcodex:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
In truth it all depends on how far the remake goes. Keep the story and the quest structure intact. Keep the alchemy and inventory systems or I shall gut you. Keep the art for all the menus/panels or I shall double gut you. Keep all the sounds including the original music and voiceover or I shall gut you like a pig. Mess with the character models and environments and I guess the combat. And only that.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
This is probably more of a serious field test for UE5 than anything else. I imagine they don't want to fuck up the launch of TW4, cue this remake.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's surely no market for this? I mean, wtf.
Wut? This is as close to a slam dunk as you can get. Witcher 3 is widely regarded as one of the best PC games ever made, and this'll give everyone the opportunity to experience the game that started it all, sans jank, bad graphics and outdated sensibilities. I'd say it's a similar situation to the Demon's Souls remake.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My money is on this being a Fallout situation where most modern gamers think Fallout 3 was Fallout 1. I don't think many people give a fuck about W2, let alone W1. Then again, I reaaaly don't understand the phenomenon of W3 either, so who knows.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
im pretty sure anyone that had worked on witcher 1 have already left years ago.
It says "polish studio" and "veteran Witcher staff". Doesn't say which game. And the chance that the staff are veteran witchers themselves and not veteran developers, isn't a big one.

Gerrard

Arcane
W1 had:
-best music in the series
-best alchemy system
-interesting quest design, especially the chapter spanning investigation in Act 2
-amazing atmosphere
-best story in the series

And you can bet they'll fuck all these things up in the remake. Some characters will turn black or LGBT, quest markers will be everywhere, the act 2 investigation will be overly simplified. At the same time, they'll probably ignore the bad parts of the original, like poor itemization and annoying enemy design.
Poor itemization? You mean the best itemization? No carrying around 50 looted swords. Now it will be flooded with shit like W2&3 were.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In truth it all depends on how far the remake goes. Keep the story and the quest structure intact. Keep the alchemy and inventory systems or I shall gut you. Keep the art for all the menus/panels or I shall double gut you. Keep all the sounds including the original music and voiceover or I shall gut you like a pig. Mess with the character models and environments and I guess the combat. And only that.
Original music could be given a bigger budget, richer instrumentation and some extra tunes but only if the original composer is in charge.

Don't care about the UI that much but any change would most likely be for the worse - aka TW2 - so yeah, keep it the way it is.

Definitely get rid of the character models and the combat. I don't even think they could keep the combat if they wanted, it's all mouse-click based and this new shit will obviously be made for controllers too. Anyway, good riddance, it was an interesting concept but if they take W3EE combat as the inspiration and make it work even better I'd be happy.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
There's 0% chance that this will be better than utter garbage.

Curratum

I would play that. Witcheroo 1 was interesting, but the combat and controls and movement and pretty much everything except the story was terrible. Would enjoy it in a W3-format game, I think.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Updated Triss model has leaked:

cs9mrDC.jpg

vibehunter

Learned
My money is on this being a Fallout situation where most modern gamers think Fallout 3 was Fallout 1. I don't think many people give a fuck about W2, let alone W1. Then again, I reaaaly don't understand the phenomenon of W3 either, so who knows.
The typical Witcher 3 fanboy doesn't give a shit about the older games, but will probably play a remake if it's anything like 3 (which it likely will be).

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's surely no market for this? I mean, wtf.
there's all the console market who has played only TW3. Brand fidelity work, seeing how much gaymers just keep buying re-re-remakes

This is probably more of a serious field test for UE5 than anything else. I imagine they don't want to fuck up the launch of TW4, cue this remake.
that'd work if it was done by CDPR, which is not the case

Lizard

Learned
They already tried to remake Witcher 1 for consoles using another studio, iirc it almost killed the company. Maybe it will kill them for real this time. :-D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom