Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I'm not watching all this crap. What the hell is this game even about anymore? I watched the cinematic trailer and was more wtf than anything. Like instead of killing eachother like the roots of the game, now we summon the rainbow dragons and hugbox it up?

J1M

Arcane
So I'm not watching all this crap. What the hell is this game even about anymore? I watched the cinematic trailer and was more wtf than anything. Like instead of killing eachother like the roots of the game, now we summon the rainbow dragons and hugbox it up?
They advertise the story because they are terrified to change the gameplay activities.

Island expeditions, warfronts, torghast: all interesting ideas that were killed by terrible execution. (Primarily by making it mandatory to repeat them each week for player power.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Watching the cinematic you can't even tell if it's Warcraft related until right at the end when the dragons show up. Even then it could just be generic AD&D.

El Presidente

Arcane
I'm not sure who needs to be told this, but if you're still playing WoW in 2022 please attend professional addiction counseling.

iRGbZXY.jpg

I uh, I swear I just wanna check something then logout.

Help me brother :negative:

at0A5hn.jpg

Warcraft used to be a gritty series made by ripped metalheads about bloodthirsty savages conquering civilizations and the survivors swearing oaths of vengeance.

aYsoppy.png

Now that emasculated men and diversity hires are in charges, it's turned into a story about how you should forgive people who commit genocide on your race every 4 years. :)

Real talk: the dragon expansion is Blizzard scrapping the bottom of the barrel. In 2016, Blizzard had a dozen different expansion concepts they could have utilized.

• An underground expansion about cleansing Gnomergan, visiting Nerubian kingdoms, trawling through the dead old god Y'shaarj's dried up guts, meeting the Titan Azeroth herself, etc.
  • A South Seas expansion about visiting the Goblin capital of Undermine, sailing to Kul'tiras and Zandalar
  • A Rise of Azshara expansion about fighting the Naga and dealing with the elemental plane of Water (a subplot from Cata that ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved).
  • An expansion about going to Argus and liberating it and defeating the Burning Legion.
  • An Emerald Dream expansion about fighting the Emerald Nightmare.
  • An expansion about fighting the old gods.

But starting with Legion, Blizzard decided to throw away decades worth of expansion material in just 4 years. The very first raid of Legion is about defeating the Emerald Nightmare. Expansion material gone! Then the planet of Argus... was thrown away in a patch zone. Also, all of the Qiraji (Nerubians, Mantid, etc) are retconned into being dead, so there goes that (unless a new Qiraji kingdom we had never heard about is retconned in). And then you had Battle for Azeroth, which was sold as a Horde vs Alliance expansion... which also featured the players going to Kul'Tiras and Zandalar (which were just three zones each), and then Azshara was defeated in a patch, and then N'zoth was defeated in a patch.

They blew through 4 expansion concepts in just two years. That just left the Shadowlands as literally the only plotline left. Recent revelations suggest that the current lead writer, Steve Danuser (or Alex Afrasabi, I can't remember which), rushed through all of those plotlines that players had been invested in and anticipating for years/decades so he could get to his Shadowlands. Nobody liked it, and the backlash to the storyline was so bad that Blizzard has been delisting their videos (which is pretty funny when you then read interviews where the devs insist that their story is so great and that players want to see what happens next). Given how egotistical these people are on their twitter accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if this was done out of spite.

3Pz438i.png

So Blizzard threw away all of their expansion material, but they can't shut down WoW because WoW and Hearthstone are literally the only games keeping Blizzard afloat. All of their other games were one time purchases (D1 remaster, D2 remaster, SC1 remaster, WC3 remaster), are either in maintenance mode (SC2, D3, HotS, OW1) or in development hell (D4, OW2, that new game they announced a few months back). So corporate mandates that WoW get a new expansion.

The Dragon Isles is an obscure name only hardcore WoW fans knew about. It was a concept for a vanilla zone that never made it into production (because they had more than enough zones and didn't need to spend time making more). The only concept art of it came from the 2005 WoW artbook. The name started popping up in recent years because there was literally no other expansion material left.

0k7whUn.jpg

Page 140-141 of the Art of World of Warcraft (2005)

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane

So this is what download speeds in the first world are like.

Now that emasculated men and diversity hires are in charges, it's turned into a story about how you should forgive people who commit genocide on your race every 4 years.

I dunno, the Horde and Alliance always banded together to fight a threat since I guess TBC or so, and that was when Metzen et al. were still around, and generally repeatedly tried to soften the Horde. Maybe it was just due to them getting older, having kids, etc. I recall Metzen saying that about Starcraft's writing, heh.

You're very right about them wasting expansion worthy material like the Emerad Dream and Nazjatar (good music in that zone at least).

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
I think its very telling that a thread on a site named RPG codex about an upcoming WoW expansion has barely 3 pages and most of it is not even about the expansion but more about Blizzard and their incompetence.
At this point it would be best for the game to die and custom servers to take over. The tools and the community are there, all that is in the way is the existence of the official game.

J1M

Arcane
That whole roundtable talk was one big jerk-off festival showing how Blizzard has hired tons of women and have a tranny on board.

A lot of breast milk to be stolen in those fridges that's for sure. lights cigarette

Edit: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/transphobia-in-the-wow-community/1223319 hehehehehahahaha
Please stop spreading fake news. There were at least two or three trans devs featured alongside the gay men and many overweight women representing body positivity.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Amazing how trans people feel like they are the opposite gender in body and yet here we have this nigga growing facial hair. Guess he identified as the bearded lady in a circus freakshow his whole life, ackackackackack.

GreyViper

Prophet
Its kind of obvious, they are bleeding money and want their player base back. Ill be honest never got or played the Shadowlands Xpac, I mean you will get it for free now anyway when new Xpac drops.
Back to expansion, notice, how no one mentions the sword that's still stuck there in Silithus. Going by the rumors, spirit of Azeroth will be she, not sure if she will become elf or dragon hybrid, but basically, her story will be running on the side with dragon aspect one. Gods know if this is set up for the Void lords expansions that is rumored to follow this.
From what I saw, draconian nice, always been fan of Dragonlance, if they are actually fun to play remains to be seen. Zones looked good, I guess they want to go back to Vanilla Mulgore/Northrend type starting zone which I approve.
But they seriously need to address repp grind, hui I will re-grind the same rep with all alts other games have shown this can be avoided so they get their one month of worth of blud gelt and off to play other stuff.
BUT sine this is Blizzard IM SURE THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO FUCK THINGS UP, have faith.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
An underwhelming announcement for sure.
Some cool features but the lack of meaningful content is alarming.

El Presidente

Arcane
It's truly pointless, less than 24h after redownloading and I already deleted the game again, I can't relate to WoW anymore even when I shutdown my brain as best as I can and force myself into some "ahh, back to the old days when things were simpler in my life" mindset. Played a 5-man dun, really unfun, everyone was in a hurry to complete it as fast as humanly possible in a really retarded way, like I don't mind taking obvious shortcuts such as jumping all the way down in Gnomeregan or not wanting to waste time in a run but that was just pathetic, those people don't enjoy playing the game, they just want to finish their tasks fast, they're really trapped in the game like zombie crack addicts as everyone else was already saying itt.

Trade chat in my server was very pessimistic about Dragonflight by the way.

So this is what download speeds in the first world are like.
How depressed are you gonna get if I tell you I'm in Rio and I pay 20 dollars for the internet :lol: I mean, at least something in this place doesn't suck.

Keshik

Arcane
Played a 5-man dun, really unfun, everyone was in a hurry to complete it as fast as humanly possible in a really retarded way, like I don't mind taking obvious shortcuts such as jumping all the way down in Gnomeregan or not wanting to waste time in a run but that was just pathetic, those people don't enjoy playing the game, they just want to finish their tasks fast, they're really trapped in the game like zombie crack addicts as everyone else was already saying itt.

Maybe it is just me slowing down, but seems more people obsessed with playing "optimally", whether it is class choice, spec and or talents or even stuff about how you even do the dungeons, than when I played heavily. Or maybe just said people bitching more than I remember.

How depressed are you gonna get if I tell you I'm in Rio and I pay 20 dollars for the internet

tumblr_mwltt3EM8V1t0i9qbo1_400.gifv

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It's truly pointless, less than 24h after redownloading and I already deleted the game again, I can't relate to WoW anymore even when I shutdown my brain as best as I can and force myself into some "ahh, back to the old days when things were simpler in my life" mindset. Played a 5-man dun, really unfun, everyone was in a hurry to complete it as fast as humanly possible in a really retarded way, like I don't mind taking obvious shortcuts such as jumping all the way down in Gnomeregan or not wanting to waste time in a run but that was just pathetic, those people don't enjoy playing the game, they just want to finish their tasks fast, they're really trapped in the game like zombie crack addicts as everyone else was already saying itt.

The only way around running dungeons like that is to go with friends. The game caters to mythic+ spaz players who have no sense of exploration or adventure. Even when a new exapansion drops, the random dungeon groups for the new dungeons are still just trying to speedrun through everything. Mike Ybarra the dude running Blizzard, streams mythic+.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom