Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
On of the leaks talked about the dragon race that works similar to Worgen mechanic, humanoid form and dragon form. Tough im skeptical of them bringing back the glory days of TBC or Legion.

Finally, at last. A dream long forgotten is rekindled.

tumblr_lm5hqd7KPy1qk6wp4o1_500.png
HE IS HAVING AN ORGASM!

I unironically think WoW (MoP era and onward) is one of the best looking games ever made, particularly the environments.

Even the the pre-MoP era zones still hold up due to the art direction, particularly Outland (don't have many screenshots of it, sadly):

That being said, it is rather sad that the actual zone design went bad after MoP. The zones started becoming claustrophobically packed together, with hardly any vast open spaces to roam. You can't walk 5 feet without aggroing a mob, getting yanked off your mount, and having to fight. There also aren't lots of fluff areas that exist just to make the world feel alive. There are no secret areas anymore like the kite village in Pandaria or the cave on Timeless Isle. There are fewer places now and they are all packed with content, which makes the world feel gamey.

My other complaint is that the character models were eventually Disneyfied over time. For example, Tauren went from looking like inhuman beastmen who would mess you up, to looking a little bit like furry art you would see on tumblr or deviantart.

J1M

Arcane
Is this the expansion where they finally eliminate the faction barrier? Would unironically resub for a month if I could RP with the other half of the players beyond emoting without needing to use a 3rd party thing.
It will be removed for instanced content. The rest is probably a tech limitation.

lol at Blizzard pretending to be listening to feedback.

It'd be cool if the stone guys moved jankily like that ingame.

+1 for the most original WoW logo.

The cinematic was not good at conveying the story. Even I didn't know what was going on.

Only four questing zones? The content cuts are going to be standard going forward?

Draconians from Dragonlance are being added.

LotRO Beorning style unique race/class. Hm.

They're talking about a UI revamp but it doesn't look better than what my minimalist bartender setup I had since WoD.

Guild Wars 2's amazing momentum based mount system is being added? With mastery training from GW2 as well? Wow

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I'd say that my disappointment is immeasurable but I was already expecting it to be garbage. Everything about this either screams decline or something that they did in order to please fans. The new race looks like an abomination, the ui rework is horrible and the new "features" are meh.
I looked on plebbit to see their reactions and the top post was a meme about not preordering, which made me think that there's maybe something redeemable there. But than all the comments were how they're going to do it anyway because everyone there is hopelessly addicted to this piece of garbage.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

I liked the cinematic at least, although I seem in the minority looking around, hah.

I feel it was one of their least impactful cinematics. Maybe its because my interest has waned over the years. What did you find enjoyable about the cinematic?

Myobi

Liturgist
iu

World of Warcraft: uwu flight, extra dragon riding, with dynamic yiffing.

... on the bright side, woot wotlk!

Keshik

Arcane
I feel it was one of their least impactful cinematics. Maybe its because my interest has waned over the years. What did you find enjoyable about the cinematic?

Yeah, it was a bit low-key as it just seem to set up the isles as a new area for us to explore, adventure in, whatever - I guess it's sort of like MoP's. Still wasn't terrible, maybe I lowered my expectations too far, heh.

The work orders mechanic for professions is interesting, Trade chat really will end up dying more than it has on my server as a result. One bright side, no mention of borrowed power yet.

ADL

Prophet
They had me until they raised the level cap. What was the goddamn point of the level squish if they're just gonna raise the cap again? Ten years from now they'll be back at 120 and have to do it all over again. It's so fucking stupid.

I appreciate that they're borrowing Guild Wars 2's mount systems but how about borrowing the horizontal progression that kept the base game plus three expansions viable at the same level since day one?

J1M

Arcane
All dragons all the time! :smug:

Play as a dragon race and a dragon class that rides a dragon on the dragon isles to help the dragons defeat the evil dragon! Pre-order now.

Last edited:
Also, no word on the music improving. The music peaked during MoP and WoD with Russell Brower and Jeremy Soule composing. Almost the entire soundtrack was a banger. Now they're gone and WoW's music is shit. You can cherrypick a handful of tracks but it's overall forgettable. WoW's music used to be a huge part of my enjoyment of the game and the lack of good music harms my interest in playing.

Probably tied with Shadowlands as the least interesting cinematic, with the only caveat being that it isn't infuriating like Shadowland's lorebreaking cinematic was. I remember when Sylvanas ran away from the Lich King in terror in the Halls of Reflection. There is only one way that fight should have ended.

uIMNNMa.jpg

J1M

Arcane
They had me until they raised the level cap. What was the goddamn point of the level squish if they're just gonna raise the cap again? Ten years from now they'll be back at 120 and have to do it all over again. It's so fucking stupid.

I appreciate that they're borrowing Guild Wars 2's mount systems but how about borrowing the horizontal progression that kept the base game plus three expansions viable at the same level since day one?
They don't have enough confidence in their endgame content. They want the money from the segment of the playerbase that just buys the box and views the level cap as their goal.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

They don't have enough confidence in their endgame content. They want the money from the segment of the playerbase that just buys the box and views the level cap as their goal.
They should make it so levels from 1 to 10 you do the tutorial, from 10 to 50 you can do any module you want, and from 50 to 60 you have to do the latest module. Then when an additional module is released, the previous one is rotated to the 10-50 bracket.

J1M

Arcane
Also, no word on the music improving. The music peaked during MoP and WoD with Russell Brower and Jeremy Soule composing. Almost the entire soundtrack was a banger. Now they're gone and WoW's music is shit. You can cherrypick a handful of tracks but it's overall forgettable. WoW's music used to be a huge part of my enjoyment of the game and the lack of good music harms my interest in playing.

Probably tied with Shadowlands as the least interesting cinematic, with the only caveat being that it isn't infuriating like Shadowland's lorebreaking cinematic was. I remember when Sylvanas ran away from the Lich King in terror in the Halls of Reflection. There is only one way that fight should have ended.

uIMNNMa.jpg
Correct. They started outsourcing the music. Recent cinematic sounded like someone just copied the Avengers soundtrack.

Nathir

Liturgist
This looks lame. I can't believe there are still people hyped for Blizzard product.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The Hud is finally becoming customizable. And the talents are getting revamped. Here is the dedicated team bringing you these important changes. Time-stamped for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Hud is finally becoming customizable. And the talents are getting revamped. Here is the dedicated team bringing you these important changes. Time-stamped for your viewing pleasure.

Rajesh from accounting snuck in there. And his boobs seem to be creeping everyone else out.

Oh well, since diversity = quality, this should be the best expack yet. It'll only get better once they phase those leftover white guys out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom