Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Dr1f7

Scholar
Doubt that I'll be actually playing WoW, but can you go chronologically through the various expansions and do their respective content? Esp. with expansions like Cataclysm that radically altered some zones, I'm guessing that part of the prior content (i.e. some of the quests and what not) is no longer accessible at all?
chromie lets you play whichever xpac you want while leveling up in retail, but the cata world is used if you choose the azeroth timeline. if you want the old world you need to play classic

Vatnik Wumao
Doubt that I'll be actually playing WoW, but can you go chronologically through the various expansions and do their respective content? Esp. with expansions like Cataclysm that radically altered some zones, I'm guessing that part of the prior content (i.e. some of the quests and what not) is no longer accessible at all?
chromie lets you play whichever xpac you want while leveling up in retail
Can you still access that sort of content once you reach max level though? Would like to go through the expacs with a single character rather than with alts.

chromie lets you play whichever xpac you want while leveling up in retail
Can you still access that sort of content once you reach max level though? Would like to go through the expacs with a single character rather than with alts.

You can do all expacs on one character. Chromie Time just level scales past expansion mobs up to level 50 so that you can level a new character doing any expac. All expansion raids can be soloed up to BFA and Shadowlands. You used to be able to solo BFA raids before the prepatch, but the prepatch buffed BFA boss numbers. Also, some questlines have been removed, such as the MoP and WoD legendary questlines which told the second half of the expansion's story, or the War of Thorns questline, and one of the Anduin questlines in Shadowlands.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The royal court drama between the spiders got me intrigued. I wonder how they are going to lean on it as the story unfolds.
I like the setup so far. So far I'm Interested in seeing what they do with it during this and the next two expansions.

J1M

Arcane
What drama? Conflict is over, bug people don't have democracy.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There might be some type of spider rebels or some spider aristocrats not liking how she killed the queen.

J1M

Arcane
There might be some type of spider rebels or some spider aristocrats not liking how she killed the queen.
Yes, they need to justify playable bug people. The cinematic is the justification for why they are bipedal.

my Tufts of Yak Fur carried over

DYlugms.gif

I'm so happy

my Tufts of Yak Fur carried over

DYlugms.gif

I'm so happy
Does your character suffer from severe magical gas from your behind?

That's the Cherry Blossom Trail toy from MoP remix. I like having petals whirling around my character, though the green trail effect is quite odd when flying on a mount, and the Blossom Toy is on a 10 minute cooldown so you can't just macro to toggle it off every time you mount and then turn it back on when you use a ground ability.

Abesolus

Novice
when did tier lists and sweating became a part of the core gameplay? what happened to having fun and experiencing the expac in a organic way? fuck this game really. and dont get me started on morons that always ask for super high ilvl for basic content. the expac is not even out and someone's making 1 hour videos....
M7108nJ.jpg

Caim

Arcane
when did tier lists and sweating became a part of the core gameplay?
If you want to do dungeons and raids you need to play the correct race, class, specialization, build and gear, otherwise you will be turned away at the door. Because not playing optimally is wasting about 53 seconds on an hour+ run of an instance, which is completely unacceptable and you're basically stealing from people.

J1M

Arcane
when did tier lists and sweating became a part of the core gameplay? what happened to having fun and experiencing the expac in a organic way? fuck this game really. and dont get me started on morons that always ask for super high ilvl for basic content. the expac is not even out and someone's making 1 hour videos....
M7108nJ.jpg
Tier lists are popular because they are an improvement over the "numbered list" video format and you can consume a whole video at a glance by skipping ahead.

J1M

Arcane
If you want to do dungeons and raids you need to play the correct race, class, specialization, build and gear, otherwise you will be turned away at the door. Because not playing optimally is wasting about 53 seconds on an hour+ run of an instance, which is completely unacceptable and you're basically stealing from people.
Blame Blizzard's balance philosophy of toning down overpowered specs so they are the best by a smaller margin instead of being willing to push them to the middle of the pack.

Caim

Arcane
Blame Blizzard's balance philosophy of toning down overpowered specs so they are the best by a smaller margin instead of being willing to push them to the middle of the pack.
And the fact that if you don't have the objectively BIS gear you are considered to be a subhuman by other players, making all difficulties except the highest obsolete. Raiding has, what, four difficulties now?

Abesolus

Novice
And the fact that if you don't have the objectively BIS gear you are considered to be a subhuman by other players, making all difficulties except the highest obsolete. Raiding has, what, four difficulties now?
raids are gonna become obsolete since you can get HC raid gear from delves now. the onlty good thing about this expac is the purple chick, she kinda hot.... i need to stop liking evil women.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
God I hate that shit. It's been around since Vanilla. WoWtards are cancer... it's such a terrible community.

Caim

Arcane
raids are gonna become obsolete since you can get HC raid gear from delves now. the onlty good thing about this expac is the purple chick, she kinda hot.... i need to stop liking evil women.
Reminder that she's not a woman but rather a corpse being puppeteered by an eldritch being. So don't stick your dick in there.

God I hate that shit. It's been around since Vanilla. WoWtards are cancer... it's such a terrible community.
Ever since players have had access to enough data to calculate ahead what their endgame gear would be the race to this gear would be all that mattered. And what do they do when they get their gear? Well, some of them would just quit until the next patch.

What's possibly worse is the whole parsing culture going on. Instead of seeing how skilled you are at raid mechanics (which you often need to complete a fight), you are exclusively judged based on how much damage and heals you do. This rot has reached the point where if your numbers aren't high enough, or you don't engage with the third-party parsing websites, you are seen as dead weight regardless of your actual skill. This also means that players are rewarded for not engaging with the mechanics and will have DPS take unnecessary damage or not engage with the things that progress the fight just to parse better. This in turn has Blizzard increase the difficulty of the raids, which means that they become increasingly difficult to complete for those not part of the nolifer neckbeard sweatlord crowd. Mechanics now have to be executed perfectly or you end up with a wipe. This means that raiding becomes less attractive for the more casual players, who will drop the game because they can't expect to do all there is in an expansion, which leads to the ever-dwindling player numbers we have seen over the years.

Just Locus

Educated
the fact that according to Meltzen, WoW is going to continue with 10-20 years worth of expansions, is fucking frightening.
I genuinely wonder how long their engine is going to be running until they can no longer support it with content that's held together by super glue (the MTX shop will work fine though)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom