Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of warcraft: Shadowlands announced

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't follow this game for many years now but this just popped up in my reddit feed. Now I feel safe about the game's future!

https://nitter.net/Wowhead/status/1513611177259114500
GuGoGvt.png

nIwvDWa.png

The level of cognitive dissonance required to believe WoW isn't a dumpsterfire just so your political beliefs aren't shattered by reality must be off the charts.

abija

Prophet
It's not. Atm bliz is in "implement something from the large backlog of qol improvements that totally make sense but we just save for emergency" mode. So he thinks it's due to firing "toxic rockstar" devs.

I have no problem with the idea of having a diverse workforce, in fact I think that, provided you are hiring qualified individuals, it’s an undeniable boon for certain industries (e.g. law, non-profit fundraising, healthcare). I’m skeptical that game dev gets all that much benefit from it, but beyond that, hasn’t WoW been experiencing diminishing returns both critically and commercially for like 5 xpacs now? Insisting you’re focused on the right things in that context has some serious “we have always been at war with EastAsia” vibes.

Norfleet

If I wanted to "diversify" my staff in a male-dominated environment, I'd just ask some of them to volunteer to be women. I mean, what even is a woman? Problem solved.

Caim

Arcane
Blizzard should have more diversity in their staff so that they can get people who actually do their job instead of molesting their coworkers and stealing their milk.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's not just wow, all these MMO's have turned to shit. Look at the most popular MMORPG right now, FFXIV, they just updated the game to allow players to solo a bunch of dungeons and group content related to the main quest, with the intention of adding it to the rest of the game.

If you play MMO's as single player RPGs, then you might as well play the free to play ones like ESO or Old republic.

Cromwell

Arcane
they just updated the game to allow players to solo a bunch of dungeons and group content related to the main quest, with the intention of adding it to the rest of the game.

given that in these games nobody is talking to you anyways theres no difference if you do it with bots or "real people". Its pretty much the same as before.

It's not just wow, all these MMO's have turned to shit. Look at the most popular MMORPG right now, FFXIV, they just updated the game to allow players to solo a bunch of dungeons and group content related to the main quest, with the intention of adding it to the rest of the game.

If you play MMO's as single player RPGs, then you might as well play the free to play ones like ESO or Old republic.

The very nature of themepark MMOs is that they are effectively singleplayer games anyway. FFXIV adding trusts is the devs acknowledging how the game is actually played "do quests by yourself". People who want actual MMOs are playing games like Ultima Online or a SWG emulator.

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem with these games is that they label themselves MMOs. Nobody would care if they were simply labeled something like persistent cooperative RPGs or somesuch.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Back when fast travel meant you were riding a mount thirty minutes somewhere. Yeah I used to like MMO's.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Back when fast travel meant you were riding a mount thirty minutes somewhere. Yeah I used to like MMO's.

MMOs used to mean a huge simulated world that you could travel around and see a crazy epic journey of a scope that you didn't get in single player RPGs. Now it's more like a strapped in roller coaster that parades you past all the sites and spectacles while you either play by yourself or in a group where some dickhead yells about how your group sucks and you have to play politics over loot. Meanwhile, open world games have brought the huge worlds you could run around and see to offline games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom