Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Gul'Dan in WC3 sort of struck out on his own and wasn't acting as an agent of the Legion when he went into the Tomb. This iteration is working under the Legion's auspices so I guess he can get safe conduct through the Tomb without getting torn to bits by the demons inside. With his crossing from Alternate world to Main world it's hilarious how they found a way to bring back characters from the dead... not that they needed such an elaborate guise for that: see, e.g., Illidan astonishing comeback.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
As far as I know, Gul'Dan has already been in The Tomb of Sargeras (it was shown in the retrospective in WC3). Why didn't he let the demons invade Azeroth back then?

Gul'dan went there in WC2. https://youtu.be/2gs-hjD5lHE?t=40s

In any case, despite being more powerful and learned than Gul'dan of the lolverse he was killed by the guardians within hours of entering, as explained in Warcraft 3

New Gul'dan being able to do what he does is about as hilarious in terms of lore as ten thousand year ol societies on islands that were risen only 20 years ago or so in game time by real Gul'dan.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"The goals is to remove PvP gear. There will be PvP ways to obtain gear, but the power in PvP will be about the gear you obtain and the PvP talents that you unlock."
thank christ
(you'll still get gear through pvp, but they will be like regular gear without resilience etc.)

"You will not loot weapons in Legion."
oops

"Relics are things you can socket into the artifact and are rewarded from completing major quest lines, dungeons, and raids. This way you still get weapon upgrades from the same sources, but keep the same weapon."
that's not very exciting tho is it

"The professions team for Legion is the largest that Blizzard has ever had for WoW and lots of new things are coming. The team heard the feedback about Warlords professions."
hmmmmm

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What? There wont be lootable weapons? So everyone's gonna be running around with the same artifact weapons? wtf

Revenant

Come to think of it, most people nowadays transmog their weapons anyway, so the progression is only felt through stats and not appearance in any case.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I am so excited to see what this expansion pack will do to warriors. I hope they continue the direction Warlords of Draenor took with them,

I am debating whether to get a SNES controller, NES controller or a Mega Drive controller... or maybe even an Atari controller.

Pfff! Someone never played arcane mage.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still don't get what's so cool about removal of pvp gear. Less motivation to do Arenas and BGs is actually a good thing?

Is this Blizzards last try of creating perfect BALANCE!!!! and getting the game into esports?

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
y6Elyed.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I still don't get what's so cool about removal of pvp gear. Less motivation to do Arenas and BGs is actually a good thing?

Is this Blizzards last try of creating perfect BALANCE!!!! and getting the game into esports?
it allows good players (e.g. me) to kill assholes without investing time in bullshit and swapping gear.
pvp'ers still have the incentive to grind for pvp skills and prestige (and other pvp rewards).

RE: no lootable weapons, only using the customizable legendary.
this will probably create more choice and variance than what exists today.

god damn I'm actually defending this shit

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a good pvper but enjoy getting gear upgrades. After all that's the whole point of WoW, getting you addicted to upgrading numbers. The grind for PvP skills and especially the idiotic CoD crap does not seem incredibly appealing.

Also imho in open PvP players should always hold an advantage over PvE players. Are the PvP skills such an advantage? We'll see.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm a good pvper but enjoy getting gear upgrades. After all that's the whole point of WoW, getting you addicted to upgrading numbers. The grind for PvP skills and especially the idiotic CoD crap does not seem incredibly appealing.

Also imho in open PvP players should always hold an advantage over PvE players. Are the PvP skills such an advantage? We'll see.
you will still grind gear.

there aren't any open pvp players because there is no open pvp. it died with arena and the introduction of resilience items.

I've never played any modern cod so I don't know what the cod crap is. is it the skill reset for higher prestige?

hivemind

I remember playing arena on a purely pvp private server and beating people who were an entire season of gear ahead.

felt rad as fuck

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
I still do open pvp, especially in Tanaan currently. I attack anything, even if they are in a group of three. Of course that means I'll gank some PvE players but I also often encounter players with PvP gear that give me a challenge. Arena just for the sake of arena is boring, as are battlegrounds - which are actually even worse.

And yeh it's the skill reset thing, it's a pointless grind for stuff you don't need - you just grind for the sake of grinding.

And the gear you grind for is supposed to have no real advantages or am I wrong here?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
you will still grind gear.

there aren't any open pvp players because there is no open pvp. it died with battlegrounds and the introduction of honor system

There, I fixed that to represent reality more accurately.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Some more gems from developer interviews:

Survival Hunters will be a melee class with pet going forward.
Oh man, that dude I ran into in one dungeon group back in 2005 who would melee shit with lacerate was a decade ahead of his time!

Disc Priests are going to be a much more offensive healer after another pass on Atonement which will make it more interactive.
Wish they would leave healers the fuck alone and stop pandering to the DPS masses. I play a healer to heal not to DPS and heal.

The team likes challenge modes and wants to try and make them more accessible...
Cool.

...they aren't guaranteed to be added to Legion.
+M

On rumors that Sylvanas might be a raid boss: "That's interesting".
:negative:

Karazhan is an important place.
Holy shit, it really is TBC 2.

The best bit of all...

The team still wants to release expansions faster.

Keep trying guys, maybe in 20 years you'll get to that fabled 'faster release schedule' you've been trying for since Wrath.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I still do open pvp, especially in Tanaan currently. I attack anything, even if they are in a group of three. Of course that means I'll gank some PvE players but I also often encounter players with PvP gear that give me a challenge. Arena just for the sake of arena is boring, as are battlegrounds - which are actually even worse.

And yeh it's the skill reset thing, it's a pointless grind for stuff you don't need - you just grind for the sake of grinding.

And the gear you grind for is supposed to have no real advantages or am I wrong here?
I am under the assumption that the gear you grind for is like regular gear. Kind of like classic Alterac Valley where you could grind for a decent 2h polearm (I played warrior back in the day).

What they mean by "no pvp gear" is that resilience (or whatever shitty arbitrary stats they use nowadays) goes away. Which is good because WoW pvp declined as hell when it was introduced.

This means more pvp participants. Faster queues, more ez targets, more distinction between what classes are good at pvp and which ones suck. For the last bit, the pvp "talents" are supposedly used as a counter-weight.

The only negative I see, which is not a negative for me personally, is that pvp-only people may have to join a raid once or twice to perhaps pick up a trinket or whatever, as was the case back in the day.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm getting the impression they still don't know what they want to achieve with this expansion (or what direction they want WOW to go in). I haven't really seen any specifics about content or features planned for the expac (which really needs to be out by Q2 2016), only a whole lot of "we're thinking about" and "not sure how we will".

So surv hunters are going to melee with a pet, BM hunters will be ranged with a pet, marksman hunters will be ranged without a pet... this means three sub-classes with potentially different skillsets. It may seem this would make things easier to balance (if BM/surv/MM use completely different abilities to do damage, you can tweak damage on any of those abilities without overpowering the other two specs), but then suddenly you have 3x the classes you need to keep an eye on. Oh, and in the end all 3 are still pure dps classes with no tank or heal option.

What exactly makes challenge modes hard to implement? A CM is just a heroic dungeon with bigger numbers and maybe some slightly different mechanics. The significant CM-specific features (timer, gear scaler, leaderboards, etc) have already been implemented and should not require any more work going forward.

edit: I bet the answer to the last question is "we don't want to invest any effort into making CM armor/weapon rewards this time around... we'd rather use the same resources to create 50 new WOWpokemons or whatever"

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What they mean by "no pvp gear" is that resilience (or whatever shitty arbitrary stats they use nowadays) goes away. Which is good because WoW pvp declined as hell when it was introduced.

Currently, non-pvp gear is levelled to item level 660 in battlegrounds/arenas, while PvP gear is 680 (green)/700(blue)/715(purple) respectively. PvP gear has lower base level in PvE, but gets levelled up the second you're fighting another player.

This means more pvp participants. Faster queues, more ez targets, more distinction between what classes are good at pvp and which ones suck. For the last bit, the pvp "talents" are supposedly used as a counter-weight.

Queues take seconds at the moment. Maybe ~30 sec on a slow night. It'll be even faster once they add in mercenaries, since all the alliance peeps can play humans vs humans battlegrounds. (Human makes up ~45% of dedicated PvP players according to worldofwargraphs. Everyone loves that extra trinket).

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah I guess queue times aren't really a factor going into it. I'm stuck in 2006 in my thinking.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
So surv hunters are going to melee with a pet, BM hunters will be ranged with a pet, marksman hunters will be ranged without a pet
A melee hunter with a pet? YES! Might come back just for this, haven't played since cataclysm.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Hey, screw you guy. I've always wanted to play a Rexxar-like hunter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom