Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Ninjerk

Arcane
So I've only ever taken a character to about 30-35 in Wow. Played vanilla, some BC, some Cataclysm. I've recently started a new character on a vanilla server. So I want to ask you veterans: just how anal/finnicky are raids in terms of requirements? I've read things about all the add ons people supposedly need, having the right gear, being the right spec, having optimal dps. My main thing in any RPG has always been dungeon crawling so I'm fine with just doing instances as a major goal (last major dungeon I remember doing before I quit was Uldaman. Was very satisfying btw), but I'm just curious about this raiding business. And are they even worth all the sperging?

EDIT: upon further research, seems like Uldaman was a much hated instance. Well, it was the best one that I had come across at that point, with good bosses and such. This was after group finder was in the game, so maybe things were different before that.
The level of understanding that people approach WoW with nowadays >>>>>>>> actual vanilla raiding back in 2005-2006 so raids on private servers are getting cleared with less than 40 people, not geared incredibly well, etc. I think the main bottleneck early on is FR on tanks. Just don't show up with an intentionally retarded build and leech gear and you should be fine.

J1M

Arcane
Yes, i think that's actually one of the better ideas they've come up in the last few years, as many people i know didn't bother with CMs because they didn't offer anything tangible (as tangible as a bunch of purple pixels can be), and many are not intersted in the mounts or t-mog sets at all. On the other hand, i have to agree with Zetor - if dungeons can be alternative to raids, then it should not be mandatory otherwise we'd have again "LFM /power 8 dungeon, require 720+ gear / curve/ etc. On yet another hand, it may stimulate people to play in guilds instead of being loners who have no social ties or obligations - a group of like-minded persons can progress in these dungeons together, without setting up ridiculous requirements so the content won't be wipeable, and have a blast together. Most of the raids, and blizzard seems to not know it, raid not for the progress (which is the thing that bothers 0.01% of the guilds in the world first race), but for fun and socializing together, and WoD basically ruined that feels.
The primary problem with challenge modes is the time limit. Speed runners are a small percentage of the population. If the content was like pre-nerf Heroic Hillsbrad (tough pulls, patrols that respawn, etc.) more people would be interested.

J1M

Arcane
Monk, at least, seemed to have a decent amount of thought put into it and produced a hybrid that could fill all three roles.
When I look at their skills and see that half of them are either a type of kick or a type of tea drinking I cannot see how you reached this conclusion. The class would have much greater appeal if it wasn't so heavily 'inspired' by pandaria/asian themes.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Legion actually delivers on the promise of putting challenging and interesting 5-man content into the game, it will extend the life of the game long enough for them to grow the balls required to give the holy trinity a new sibling.
Haven't they been promising that since Cataclysm?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When I look at their skills and see that half of them are either a type of kick or a type of tea drinking I cannot see how you reached this conclusion. The class would have much greater appeal if it wasn't so heavily 'inspired' by pandaria/asian themes.
That you dislike the thematic nature of the abilities doesn't mean it's poorly designed. Granted the Windwalkers aren't very distinct from Brewmasters but Mistweaver is a fairly interesting brand of healing. And Brewmaster is sufficiently different from Druids, Warriors, and Paladins. With Demon Hunters the developers have gotten so lazy they aren't going to bother beyond two specs. Not that I expect them to have a healing spec but it's hilarious how they don't even try to create a second DPS or tank spec.

As far as promises... any they make are hollow. They've been promising faster content delivery since Wrath. WoD was supposed to be it since they didn't bother with any content but amazingly they failed to deliver again. They gave some shit throwaway response at Blizzcon about how they failed to do it but... it doesn't matter. I don't fathom how they have the largest number of developers employed on this game yet manage to produce less in the same timespan. Probably has to do with their four hour work days.

TedNugent

Arcane
The time of the melee hunter has returned. All of those early Vanilla Survival spec guys were a decade ahead of their time!

Oh boy. There aren't enough melee classes.

Enh shaman, warrior, rogue, DK, Feral, Paladin, monk, now survival and Demon Hunter.

Totally retarded. How are people even going to find ranged DPS now. I wonder if they're still going to be 100% required for raid mechanics. Probably 80% of huntards are going to switch too.

Just a dumb move on their part. For anyone who hasn't played a melee class, finding a raid slot sucks. Good luck to those of you that play melee when everybody instaboosts their Demon Hunters to level 100.

abija

Prophet
Since start of WoW most dps specs are ranged, 3 of the 4 pure dps classes (the ones that cry their hearts out whenever they can't be first on meters) are ranged, encounters favored ranged.
You don't even know how encounters will be and already crying your poor melee heart out...

Also, in serious progression raiding you'll never play whatever the fuck you feel like it and for everything else it doesn't really matter.

TedNugent

Arcane
lg73DCH.jpg

735.gif
d3fail.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Totally retarded. How are people even going to find ranged DPS now. I wonder if they're still going to be 100% required for raid mechanics. Probably 80% of huntards are going to switch too

Hope they do. Nothing's more annoying in arena than a huntard with a dozen disengages and a pet that permaslows my DK :argh:

(Although odds are I'll get bored with DK in Legion. WTF were Blizz thinking when they decided to trivialize their core class mechanic?)

Israfael

Arcane
Although odds are I'll get bored with DK in Legion. WTF were Blizz thinking when they decided to trivialize their core class mechanic?)
They try to compete for LoL and Dota audience, although it should be clear for now that these players are not interested in long-term and "boring" MMO games, so they turned off the people who played WoW and didn't enjoy raids (like i do, admittedly) for nothing

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I guess on the bright side everyone will be back to 2h death knights. Only one type of rune means they'll likely regenerate faster (right now you can have 3 runes regenerating simultaneously). The main reason not to 2h in pvp is that obliterate spam leaves you short on the runes you need for utility. Less likely to happen now.

(in before blizz forces all frost DKs to DW)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:dead:

And blood will never be viable for pvp.
Now all we need is confirmation of the rumours that unholy will be ranged/pet centered around death coils and the rape will be complete.

Israfael

Arcane
Pretty sure it's not so, weapon will just change to 2 hander if needed. They said that TG and SMF are still a thing for Fury Warriors on blizzcon, although everything they say there is a subject to change

Revenant

I want to punch everyone running around with their inflatable Thunderfuries in the face. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give everyone an item with an even longer name to troll the chat with from now on... :negative:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
lol Inflatable? Wtf? Is it like a balloon or something?

I'm never sure whether to applaud weird in game items for allowing types of RP (like anyone RPs in MMOs these days) or to just boggle about the stupid bullshit people collect like a kid with a sticker book.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I want to punch everyone running around with their inflatable Thunderfuries in the face. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give everyone an item with an even longer name to troll the chat with from now on... :negative:
Better question is why are you even playing?

Revenant

I'm waiting for the new PvP season :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom