Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware WOTC restricting content creation in new OGL - Paizo launches competing OGL - lol cancelled

Bara

Arcane
Please continue I'm curious to see how far you go with this.

Is your need to be right when your so wrong so great that you resort to such childishness?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm so wrong since I can't use actual laws, cases, etc... but you really should take my word for it that you're wrong.

I'm waiting for the retard to produce any facts in this discussion. When you can grow up and prove me wrong bottom let me know. Until then you are the one that is in the wrong and I'm right.

Otherwise, run along and play with the other children that are still in preschool.

Bara

Arcane
Dixon just rub those brain cells together will you?

Yes Crawford from Stars/Worlds Without Number agrees with you game mechanics arn't copy rightable.

The fear of a lawsuit however is enough to throw the baby out with the bath water with so many different publishers.

There a benefit for using the same names across the same systems if your building something compatible instead of something completely new and having to restate everything.. I remember hearing the maker of ACKS was thinking of renaming Hit Die to "Hardiness Dice" or other stupid names in order to protect himself.

Matt Finch was planning to drop all of the spells with Prismatic in them because he believed they were under copyright. Not just rename them but outright drop them.

Actually publishers like Jeffrey I already posted in here how he felt about the whole thing.

If Wizards of the Coast can sue and they get a whiff of whatever your working on they're going to do it and sure the law backs you but folks don't want to have to pay for lawyers. This would not get thrown out of court it would absolute go to trial.

Older hands in the know hard disagree with you.

This isn't about you or your own project but actual publishers and creators feeling safe to continue as they always have without doing changes that could diminish their products in some way.

So continue to mouth of like the self important fool you are. I'm getting a kick out of it so far.

Legitimate question for James Dixon: how substantial does a change to a copyrighted expression of the rules need to be to qualify as a distinct work? To change the example a bit, can you take a copyrighted novel, change the names of the characters while retaining the rest of the text, and have a legally distinct work that does not violate copyright? My guess is not.

So in the case of game rules, how complete does a rewrite have to be to be legally safe?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Yes Crawford from Stars/Worlds Without Number agrees with you game mechanics arn't copy rightable.

See I told you.

The fear of a lawsuit however is enough to throw the baby out with the bath water with so many different publishers.

Again you have to have standing in order to file a lawsuit. Since they don't you can file a motion to the judge asking for a declaratory judgment that sticks your legal bill with Wizards.

There a benefit for using the same names across the same systems if your building something compatible instead of something completely new and having to restate everything..

Names can't be copyrighted. I already shown that from the US Copyright Office's own ruling. You can only trademark a name, but it has to have a unique piece of art attached to it for brand recognition. This is why there are at least 4 different Beholders trademarked with the US Trademark Office. None of them are registered to Wizards of the Coast. Feel free to look it up in the USPTO Online Database.

I remember hearing the maker of ACKS was thinking of renaming Hit Die to "Hardiness Dice" or other stupid names in order to protect himself.

He's a moron since you can't copyright names.

Matt Finch was planning to drop all of the spells with Prismatic in them because he believed they were under copyright. Not just rename them but outright drop them.

Again names are not copyrightable, so he's another retard.

If Wizards of the Coast can sue

And you can file a motion of declaratory judgment that sticks Wizards with your legal bills for misusing the courts on something they lack standing in.

Older hands are a bunch of fucking retards since they don't even follow the law.

So continue to mouth of like the self important fool you are.

You mean like you are right? I have yet to see you cite court cases or even the US Copyright Office. They must be wrong because you declare them to be wrong. Go ahead mouthbreather and keep spewing your ignorance. I'm laughing at you.

how substantial does a change to a copyrighted expression of the rules need to be to qualify as a distinct work?

For game mechanics, a simple rewrite is enough along with how you present the information i.e. trade dress.

To change the example a bit, can you take a copyrighted novel, change the names of the characters while retaining the rest of the text, and have a legally distinct work that does not violate copyright? My guess is not.

A novel is protected by copyright for being a unique expression of an idea. However, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own version of that idea. That said your question is based on an invalid comparison logical fallacy.

So in the case of game rules, how complete does a rewrite have to be to be legally safe?

I would rewrite it all if you are wanting to do your own core books. If you're writing adventures or other supplements you don't even bother rewriting the rules. All you have to do is write your stuff to use those rules and that makes your customers still having to buy the core rules that you're writing for. Just stay away from their copyrighted IP like settings.

axedice

Cipher
It is one thing to know the law, and another to not trust it to be bent against the small guy in favor of major corporations. Then you have the cost of upfront legal fees even in a 100% win situation, which is a completely different beast for small business owners. So you are wrong and we are right, just keep building your blanket fort about legality.

:kingcomrade:

Bara

Arcane

See I told you.
Yep which is why for his own community at their request he's making a stretch goal to put Without Number under creative commons. So wow look at that people want go have assurances they won't be sued even if they don't need it.

Again you have to have standing in order to file a lawsuit. Since they don't you can file a motion to the judge asking for a declaratory judgment that sticks your legal bill with Wizards.
You assume you'll get a judge that agree with you in the first place. The legal system isn't a perfect machine and shit takes time and lawyers cost moeny.

There a benefit for using the same names across the same systems if your building something compatible instead of something completely new and having to restate everything..

Names can't be copyrighted. I already shown that from the US Copyright Office's own ruling. You can only trademark a name, but it has to have a unique piece of art attached to it for brand recognition. This is why there are at least 4 different Beholders trademarked with the US Trademark Office. None of them are registered to Wizards of the Coast. Feel free to look it up in the USPTO Online Datmoney.
Yes they can't but the point is the paranoia and fear that was running rampant and throwing out the baby with the bath water. With fears of "if I use too many of the same names and sources it'll give wotc a case.

I remember hearing the maker of ACKS was thinking of renaming Hit Die to "Hardiness Dice" or other stupid names in order to protect himself.

He's a moron since you can't copyright names.
He's been in the longer than you and is a lawyer. And even if wrong it goes back to the original point of if nothing else it gets people to stop being afraid.

Again names are not copyrightable, so he's another retard.
Your really a thick head ain't yeah.

If Wizards of the Coast can sue

And you can file a motion of declaratory judgment that sticks Wizards with your legal bills for misusing the courts on something they lack standing in.
IF you get a judge to agree. And only if whose going to pay your lawyer in the mean time even if you get it.

Older hands are a bunch of fucking retards since they don't even follow the law.
Dog your really invested in being a fool.

So continue to mouth of like the self important fool you are.

You mean like you are right? I have yet to see you cite court cases or even the US Copyright Office. They must be wrong because you declare them to be wrong. Go ahead mouthbreather and keep spewing your ignorance. I'm laughing at you.
Dixon you can quote the law all you want but the fact is lawyers and representation costs money and if you can't realize that your living a fantasy world.

Not everyone has the fees for a lawyer especially if the matter drags on you may win the case bur you have no idea how a judge may rule nor the amount of time and length a lawyer needs to spend to get there.

And unless you get a bleeding heart of a lawyer because their not going to work for free inthe mean time and if your going to represent youself good fucking luck.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
creative commons

You can't license something you don't own. That's the law retard.

lawyers cost moeny.

Declaratory judgment makes them pay for your lawyer. It's a tool under the US Copyright law to stop copyright trolls from doing illegal lawsuit.

but the point is the paranoia and fear that was running rampant and throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Which the US Copyright law puts companies like Wizards in their place in frivolous lawsuits. There is the matter of actual court sanctions that start at several thousand dollar fines to actual disbarment and revocation of the lawyer's license for knowingly violating the law and bringing forth suits that have no merit. The only one that is spewing FUD is you retard. OH MY GODS WIZARDS CAN SUE YOU FOR HIT POINTS!!!!!1219I09UJDS908IOFHNSOIDSJO

He's been in the longer than you and is a lawyer.

I've been a writer for well over 40 years. You don't need to be a lawyer to understand what the law says. He's a retard because he doesn't know what the law says. That makes him a shitty lawyer.

I'm really retarded.

Why yes you are. Nice of you to admit it that you're a complete and utter retard that has everyone laughing at you. To date you've presented nothing to counter what I've said. Nothiing.

IF you get a judge to agree. And only if whose going to pay your lawyer in the mean time even if you get it.

No, it's one of those things that is part of the US Copyright law that prohibits big companies for suing people without standing. You know that thing we call law that you are utterly ignorant of.

I'm really a fool because I can't read. I never passed first grade.

Yes, we all know that you are.

Dixon you can quote the law all you want but the fact is lawyers and representation costs money and if you can't realize that your living a fantasy world.

Yes it does. That's why the US Copyright law has a provision to stick your legal bills onto the company that is abusing the court system. You really do live in a fantasy world.

The bar you have to meet retard is to defeat what the actual law says on top of over 100 years of court cases that say that I'm right. I'll be waiting for you actually post something that has merit. Until then fuck off.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It is one thing to know the law, and another to not trust it to be bent against the small guy in favor of major corporations. Then you have the cost of upfront legal fees even in a 100% win situation, which is a completely different beast for small business owners. So you are wrong and we are right, just keep building your blanket fort about legality.

Oh look another fucking retard that doesn't know their rights. I'm not wrong asshole because as I told the other retard there is part of the US Copyright law that forces people and companies that are trolls to pay your legal fees. All it takes is to file a motion with the court outlining why their lawsuit is without standing. Wow that was so fucking hard. Do you need your fainting couch and pearls miss?

Bara

Arcane
Dixon actual publishers who know about the law and spent their lives in the industry definitely know better than you a fellow nobody just raging on the rpg codex.

You keep ignoring the fact the yes they pay if they loose BUT who pays your lawyer in the mean time or are you conveniently keep ignoring that fact?

And Dixon get it through your fucking head already I agree mechanic's arnt copyrightable. My arguments are no one wants to have to get involved with the corts.

If you want to lead on this please by all means release whatever your doing and mail it directly to wotc if your so assured in your case being dismissed so easily.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Dixon actual publishers who know about the law and spent their lives in the industry definitely know better than you a fellow nobody just raging on the rpg codex.

I know the actual law and I posted it. What's the matter can't you read? The only person raging here is you.

You keep ignoring the fact the yes they pay if they loose BUT who pays your lawyer in the mean time or are you conveniently keep ignoring that fact?

I never ignored that fact. You ignored my post where I said you crowdfund it. Oh damn you missed that didn't you?

And Dixon get it through your fucking head already I agree mechanic's arnt copyrightable. My arguments are no one wants to have to get involved with the corts.

You argument is retarded as much as your knowledge of the law. By the way you misspelled aren't and courts you retard that can't use built in browser spellcheck.

If you want to lead on this please by all means release whatever your doing and mail it directly to wotc if your so assured in your case being dismissed so easily.

I don't have to lead the way since there are already thousands of RPGs on the market that have the same mechanics, stats, dice, etc... as what Wizards published and all without the OGL. It's been that way since the D&D White Box got released you dumb fuck. What? You think that history only started in 2000 when Wizards bought TSR?

I don't fear Wizards, but go ahead and piss your pants like the child you are. OMG I HAVE ARMOR CLASS, HIT POINTS, CLASSES, LEVELS, EXPERIENCE POINTS, DUNGEONS, DRAGONS!!111ONE WIZARDS IS GONNA SUE ME1111ONE!!

Yes, I'm making fun of you for being such an ignorant little girl.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Depending on crowdfunding :lol:. Unless your a darling in the scene your not going to keep up with costs.

Even more so with most people going "bro why didn't you just use the CC or OGL, it's your own dumbass fault." Wether their right or wrong it doesn't matter your not going to convince people especially with the way your going about it right now.

You keep depending on Variables or Gaurentees and if you keep shouting that people shouldnt use the OGL or CCs and everyone else is dumb for not following you then prove your point by leading ortherwise your just a coward.

The history of these kinds of lawsuits predate wotc. Everyone knows about They Sue Regurly at this point.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It's depending upon crowdfunding :lol:. Unless you're a darling in the scene you're not going to keep up with costs.

I doubt it since the sheer amount of outrage right now at Wizards it would be easy to get people to help pay the costs.

It's even more so with most people going, "Bro why didn't you just use the CC or OGL? It's your own dumbass fault." Whether they're right or wrong it doesn't matter. You're not going to convince people especially with the way you're going about it right now.

I don't have to convince morons that bend over and get fucked by a mega corp. like you do. You don't need a license to use public domain stuff like game mechanics.

You keep depending on variables or Guarantees. If you keep shouting that people shouldn't use the OGL or CCs and that everyone else is dumb for not following you then prove your point by leading otherwise you're just a coward.

I don't have to prove anything since I have the law on my side. You have to prove me wrong.

I fixed all your grammatical and spelling errors. You're most welcome.

Since you're a fucking retard that can't actually defeat a single point I made you are now on the retard list. Enjoy your stay. Now fuck off loser.

Bara

Arcane
The sheer outraged people only cared for OGL and CC if you get sued and you didn't use either they're not going to care.

You really ignorant on the pulse of the scene.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
if you get sued

That's a big if which you are so certain it will happen and won't.

Who the fuck cares about the scene. Only retards like you do. OMG WIZARDS ARE GOING TO SUE YOU FOR HAVING ATTACK ROLLS, SAVING THROWS, COMBAT MECHANICS, ELVES, OHWI[OIahsfnoFIHJSDNOI[;GJH[OGDIJMFOLK;' S'D J;M; FOK;LJNZFV;M

My last reply to you.

Bara

Arcane
if you get sued

That's a big if which you are so certain it will happen and won't.
The fear of a lawsuit is enough to chill the scene for so many publishers and creators that if matters

Who the fuck cares about the scene. Only retards like you do. OMG WIZARDS ARE GOING TO SUE YOU FOR HAVING ATTACK ROLLS, SAVING THROWS, COMBAT MECHANICS, ELVES, OHWI[OIahsfnoFIHJSDNOI[;GJH[OGDIJMFOLK;' S'D J;M; FOK;LJNZFV;M

My last reply to you.
Your talking about the community will defend some one by crowdfunding a lawsuit and in another post you saying they don't matter.

If that's your last fine but the rage you shown tonight I doubt you won't get fumed up again :lol:

J1M

Arcane
Dixon ultimately its not a matter of if your right and wrong.

It's a matter if you can afford a lawsuit or not. And yeah they probably don't care about you or other small publishers but some don't want to take that chance.

But your thick head really can't seem to comprehend that.

Why would anyone waste their time with 4e?

I don't know man, but it's got its fans still surprisingly. Found that video of some guy talking about "4er"

I also stand corrected as looking for that video it appears that some have started a 4e retroclone using the ogl.

4e has a number of good ideas. It also would have translated well to a tactics game on the computer and it is a shame that we never saw one.

I am sure some people have valid criticism of 4e, but the majority of people slagging it online never actually played it or are ignorant of entire chapters of the player's handbook that address their concerns.

Alex

Arcane
Dixon ultimately its not a matter of if your right and wrong.

It's a matter if you can afford a lawsuit or not. And yeah they probably don't care about you or other small publishers but some don't want to take that chance.

But your thick head really can't seem to comprehend that.

I don't know man, but it's got its fans still surprisingly. Found that video of some guy talking about "4er"

I also stand corrected as looking for that video it appears that some have started a 4e retroclone using the ogl.

4e has a number of good ideas. It also would have translated well to a tactics game on the computer and it is a shame that we never saw one.

I am sure some people have valid criticism of 4e, but the majority of people slagging it online never actually played it or are ignorant of entire chapters of the player's handbook that address their concerns.

Well, of course. I mean, why would you spend your time reading a book that threw verisimilitude out of the window? Having "per day" "per encounter" and whatnot skills like it did is such a decline from 2e I really don't see the point in even giving it a chance.

Codex Year of the Donut
What I hate most about 4E was the conclusion of turning D&D into a cartoon in official art that started with 3E.
This is what greets you when you open the PHB:
Selection-097.jpg

c'mon man, this isn't just an official product, this is your fucking main product

Selection-098.jpg

Bara

Arcane
4e art is a decline that continues to a lot of 5e stuff

636271789409776659.png

Like look at Takhisis she looks like a cross between Rita Repulsa and Goldar now in 5e

002-00-002.takhisis.webp

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I ran 4E for years, my most successful campaign, despite not wanting to run D&D after running 2e and 3e for more than a decade.

It has a lot of advantages over previous editions, despite its flaws. Can't be arsed to write up an explanation, but here's a post of mine on this.

WhiteShark

Learned
Ismaul I too ran 4e for a while and had a lot of fun with it. I think your analysis is on point as far as strengths go. No other edition of D&D tops it as far as tactical combat goes and it was really easy to come up with interesting combat scenarios. I still sometimes think about breaking out 4e just to use as a tactics game.

At the same time, I can't take it seriously as an RPG anymore. This post on the Alexandrian about dissociated mechanics sums it up better than I can, though having played it for years, I'm sure you already get the idea. A hack or rewrite to fix that fundamental disconnect would elevate 4e to top tier status.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom