Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware WOTC restricting content creation in new OGL - Paizo launches competing OGL - lol cancelled

Norfleet

I've been talking about the fluff this whole time. If I wrote a novel about evil drow elves with black skin and white hair, who live underground, worship spiders and demons, practice slavery, organize in a matriarchy, and dress in BDSM fetish wear, then I'm definitely gonna be worried if that opens me to litigation by Hasbro, just as if I wrote about vulcans or klingons.
Except you won't, because people already do this. You would have to steal much more specific details, like specific names, that aren't "drow", because that's folkloric. So Wizards could sue you over Menzoberranzan, but not "drow" as BDSM elves.

Norfleet

Anyway, on the first meaning, which is based on how it is used in the kitchen, it isn't usually a fruit since it is not very sweet, nor very harmonious with this kind of flavour. This isn't absolute, though; you can make sweet jam out of tomatoes, for instance. But at least in most western cooking, tomatoes are used differently than fruits.
A tomato is absolutely a fruit. I eat it like it's a fruit: I stuff it in my mouth and eat it. This is in direct contrast to a "vegetable", which I do not eat because it gives me gas at best and indigestion at worst if eaten in more than token quantities. In contrast, I can eat all the tomatoes I want. This bespeaks of their decidedly fruitiferous properties. They're made of fruit rather than cellulose fiber.

I have no idea why you would cook a tomato. A tomato is a fruit. You can eat it as-is. Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Hagashager

Educated
Oubliettes and Otyughs.

$30 USD a month? That's fucking bananas. Even if you're super into D&D that's crazy. I suppose it might work if a group only requires one sub and split it, but I don't know how the hell you're getting people into the hobby with that sort of thing. At best, you're just milking the shit out of your die hard fans who have the cash to burn.

I love the smell of corporate greed in the morning.
"what if we just charged... infinity money?"

They must have some insane suit who doesn't understand the hobby at all. They look at the numbers and go "why isn't this as profitable as Magic?"
You're implying there's any kind of potential respect for the game if they only knew better.

The financiers of Hasbro *do* know better. They'll legally obligated not to care.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the US corporations aren't just encouraged to generate capital, *they're legally required* to generate wealth for their investors.
The sanctity of any product means **zero** in the eyes of United States corporate law.

The only counter to this requirement is that the act of accruing ever more capital cannot endanger the common good.
Which is itself a nebulous and undefinable term which media and marketing actively construe as a concept done in service to generate more capital (buying our product makes you a good person, keeps you safe, is good for the environment etc.)

Proving otherwise requires "piercing the corporate veil" which is **extremely** hard to do under US law.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the US corporations aren't just encouraged to generate capital, *they're legally required* to generate wealth for their investors.
This depends entirely upon the corporate charter. Also they generally are allowed to make decisions that are beneficial long term over the short term

J1M

Arcane
This depends entirely upon the corporate charter. Also they generally are allowed to make decisions that are beneficial long term over the short term
Corporations love to spread the idea that they have no choice and have to make dumb short term decisions. The actual requirements mention stakeholders that go beyond just the shareholders that must be considered.

Lucumo

Educated
The man in the thumbnail is the channel host. I think Plotz and the Josh Sawyer look-alike are employees of the company talking about about it.

Here's the official reveal.

https://ulisses-spiele.de/offizielle-ankuendigung-ulisses-und-die-orc/
DeepL because I don't know German said:
Hello dear Pen & Paper fan,

you probably haven't missed the unrest that has been going on in the roleplaying community for the last 14 days due to the events surrounding the OGL and ORC license announcements. If you have, you can find all the information you need in the video to at least get a rough idea of the situation. And what's happening right now is nothing less than contemporary history playing out right before our eyes in real time.

Through insider leaks, a plan by Wizards of the Coast (part of Hasbro and the company behind Magic: The Gathering and D&D) has become public to end the Open Gaming License (OGL) and replace it with a new, more Hasbro-friendly version. This change would be a massive challenge for large parts of the pen & paper creators, for many probably even the economic end. For over 20 years, the OGL was the legal foundation through which publishers could dock their products to the rules core of D&D, for example. A foundation on which Pathfinder, for example, but also the numerous 5E products are based.

Here you can see the first video
Besides considerable fan protests, numerous companies, large and small, from our industry have already reacted to this changed situation. After all, until 14 days ago, OGL 1.0a was considered to be a secure foundation and irrevocable. In this wake, Paizo (Pathfinder/Starfinder), as the largest pen & paper company after Wizards of the Coast, has taken a decisive step and announced that they will create a new open game license that will be made available to the entire industry.

Click here to read Paizo's blog post
The Open RPG Creative License (ORC) is intended to be everything the OGL once was, while avoiding its inherent flaws to ensure that a situation like the one we're currently experiencing can never arise again. Thus, while the ORC will be funded and created by Paizo, it will be overseen by an independent law firm until it is finalized, after which it is to be turned over to a non-profit organization for administration.

Further, the ORC is intended to be not only perpetual, but also irrevocable. As we have learned in recent weeks, a small but important word in this context.

Last but not least, Paizo has teamed up with other industry giants for this move, including Chaosium and Kobold Press. All other publishers have been invited to become part of this initiative as well.

And now for the big announcement ...

Ulisses Spiele has also decided to join this movement, which is for the good of the entire pen & paper community. We will do our part and make sure that the ORC works under German law as well and, if necessary, convert it into legal German (this all depends on what our lawyers say). Ulisses Spiele will pay for all costs arising from this and then make the ORC available to all German publishers, content creators and interested parties.

And then we will go one giant step further! Ulisses will place all rule systems of its own roleplaying game lines, for which we are legally able to do so, under the ORC and, if necessary, create an adapted version compatible with German law. This means that after the publication of the ORC and our joining, everyone who does so under the rules of the ORC may freely use our rules systems. Explicitly also for the development of own, commercial roleplaying material. Everything completely free of charge, everything as legally secure as possible. And for all times.

In order to separate the rule systems 100% clearly from the copyrighted world content, we will create System Reference Documents (SRD) for the individual rule systems, which contain everything that can be used under the ORC.

Unfortunately, I can't give you an exact schedule for this at this point in time, because as written above, there is still a lot of work to be done. Especially all legal aspects need a maximum of care, because there simply must not be any mistakes. But I promise you that we are working with full commitment to implement this venture as soon as possible and to make the ORC also accessible to the German community. Unaffected by this and still usable under the established rules are our fan platforms like the Scriptorium Aventuris, the Scriptorium for HeXXen 1733 or the Infiniverse Exchange.

Finally, I would like to invite all Pen & Paper publishers, creators and hobbyists to use the possibilities of the ORC. Ulisses would like to start a new movement in Germany, which will bring more openness and commonality into our scene and hopefully lead to a new blossoming of our common hobby and also of creativity in this area. We are experiencing nothing less than a turning point in time and this is only the beginning!

P.S.: I am aware that you have a lot of questions about this topic. I will try to answer all of them as soon as possible, but this also takes some time. Therefore, I would be glad if you would send me your questions to Feedback@ulisses-spiele.de. Colleagues there will collect all the questions so that we can answer them in a bundle so that the whole community is informed.

Also, to understand exactly what the ORC is and what it is not, I can recommend you the following video. Yes, it is long, but I promise it is worth it!

They have become a bunch of trannies anyway and joined the whole woke/transgender stuff. Apart from the text being questionable for someone releasing any kind of written media, there is also this: "ÜBER DEN/DIE AUTORIN", "UNSERE BLOG-AUTORINNEN" and "MITARBEITERINNEN" at the bottom. What this means is that they not only avoided the generic masculinum but left out the masculinum altogether, only referring to themselves as females. Absolutely fucked up.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still don't trust them, but one step in the right direction (for now).

Dungeons & Dragons Scraps Plans to Update Its Open Game License​

In a surprise statement today, Kyle Brink announced that Wizards of the Coast will preserve the OGL 1.0a and move more of D&D into the Creative Commons.​

By
Linda Codega
Published44 minutes ago

Sword of Dungeons and Dragons by artist Chris RahnImage: Wizards of the Coast | Chris Rahn

Wizards of the Coast, publisher of Dungeons & Dragons, announced today that they will no longer be pursuing deauthorization of the Open Gaming License 1.0a, abandoning plans previously stated in the drafted OGL 1.2. This statement comes after relentless fan backlash against the decision to deauthorize that was revealed after io9 reported on a leaked OGL 1.1. After three weeks of near constant pressure, it appears as if Wizards of the Coast is fully paying attention to the fanbase.

The deauthorization of the OGL 1.0a was a huge sticking point for fans and third party publishers who made a living using the license that was granted nearly two decades ago. Opinions varied on whether or not Wizards of the Coast could even legally deauthorize, with many people, including Ryan Dancey, vocally arguing that it was never intended to be deauthorized and the very act of doing so was not built into the legal wording of the license.

Brink said in the statement that “these live survey results are clear. You want OGL 1.0a. You want irrevocability. You like Creative Commons.” This sentiment was expressed so overwhelmingly in the playtest OGL 1.2 that Wizards of the Coast had to pay attention. Originally they were going to keep the playtest open for two weeks, however Brink writes, “the feedback is in such high volume and its direction is so plain that we’re acting now.”
The concessions D&D makes in this announcement are huge: they will not attempt to deauthorize the OGL 1.0a, they are putting the entirety of the Systems Reference Document for D&D 5.1 into the Creative Commons, and they are abandoning its previously-stated intentions for Virtual Tabletops.
One thing to note is that Brink states that putting the entire 400-page SRD into the Creative Commons means that fans don’t need to “take [Dungeons & Dragons’] word for it.” That Brink would explicitly acknowledge the lack of trust between fans and publishers and Wizards of the Coast is incredible.
Finally, the company finished the statement with an olive branch, publishing the SRD immediately, and stating, “Here’s a PDF of SRD 5.1 with the Creative Commons license. By simply publishing it, we place it under an irrevocable Creative Commons license. We’ll get it hosted in a more convenient place next week. It was important that we take this step now, so there’s no question.”
Ever since the rumors around the OGL 1.1 that began to circulate in late November of last year, third party content publishers and fans of Dungeons & Dragons had begun to mobilize. After the leaks, the backtracks, and the general confusion, everyone was ready to defend their hobby. And they did. Fans rallied around hashtags, influencers and, we will admit it, journalists, as they sought to Open D&D and preserve the OGL 1.0a and its legacy. If Dungeons & Dragons follows through with all their promises in this statement, it’s possible that they could restore the goodwill they lost between then and now.
Ultimately, this is a huge victory for the fans. And while the battle is won, the war might not be over—everyone is waiting to see the four corners of the contract, despite the SRD’s entry into the CC. But the fans are ready. And Wizards of the Coast is going to think twice before poking that particular dragon.
[Editor’s Note: This article is part of the developing story. The information cited on this page may change as the breaking story unfolds.]

J1M

Arcane
This episode of history repeating itself is a little too obvious. The simulation is fraying. Same scenario, same NPC name, same outcome.

Seriously though, it looks like one of their lawyers told them how little it would cost for someone to beat them in court about revoking the license. Also that they are trying to sell movie tickets based on the brand they lit on fire.

J1M

Arcane
On second thought, maybe we have Paramount Pictures to thank for this drastic change in direction.

On second thought, maybe we have Paramount Pictures to thank for this drastic change in direction.
Very much doubt it. This reeks of "Oh shit this controversy (that has already opened us up to short-selling by any investor who is even slightly online) is now so large that even our dipshit octogenarian shareholders who have no idea what the fuck it is that we actually do might hear about it and start purging us from their portfolio AND THAT WOULD MEAN THE COCAINE TRAIN IS COMING TO AN END!!!!".

I'm sure Paramount isn't happy about this whole brouhaha, but I can't imagine that they have an agreement where they are actually able to leverage any real, practical influence on what Hasbro does here. That would be... extremely unusual, and if it were the case would pretty strongly imply that Hasbro is actually in dire financial straits and has also been intentionally obfuscating that.

deuxhero

Arcane
Given the past two "apologies" were totally fake and 100% bullshit, I'm doubt this doesn't have some kind of gotcha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom