Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
When I read threads like this I begin to think everyone is a huge fat lard ass that does nothing else and is throwing a tantrum. Good fucking lord; do something else.
Creating stuff is hard and time consuming and requires a positive attitude, or alternatively a lot of genuine grief and childhood trauma.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Maturity is realizing that western devs always made shittier games than Japanese devs, on average, since the 80s.
All I'll say about this is that JRPG fans tend to be a happier and more optimistic bunch, whereas cRPG fans tend to be angry, resentful, and very eager to burn down the industry that makes their games.

Take that as you will.

JRPG fans are often weirdos in it for the characters/pure storyfaggots that doesn't give a fuck about anything beyond that, anime dweebs or often just clueless altogether though. Abysmally low standards across the board, look no further than Chrono Trigger often being voted #1. It's not always the case but this does describe the typical JRPG fan. WRPG fans being more commonly dissatisfied indicates higher standards in the player, but I don't think this says anything about the two types of games though and there is plenty shit-eating WRPG fans too. It's just JRPG attracts a certain...type. Like how Bioware attracts a certain type but on a larger scale.

As a fan of both to some extent (RPG is my fav genre but I exclude the fake "RPG" storyfag ones, too anime-cringe laden, or otherwise low quality, which leaves me with 3% of RPGs ever made), I am deeply disappointed with the modern iteration of both.
Most of the classic JRPG franchises people associate with the genre like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are pure slop that arent worth playing. However, stuff like SMTV and the NieR games absolutely blow any AAA western RPGs released in the past decade out of the water.

Call me a weeb or whatever but I haven't even bothered playing any modern WRPGs and for newish stuff stick exclusively to Japanese games and haven't been disappointed. No woke bullshit is also a major plus.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Most of the classic JRPG franchises people associate with the genre like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are pure slop that arent worth playing. However, stuff like SMTV and the NieR games absolutely blow any AAA western RPGs released in the past decade out of the water.
shouldn't you be studying for school kid

Ash

Arcane
Video games is arguably the best form of entertainment if you play the correct ones, especially when you factor in price and ease of access. What would you recommend as a substitute, gardening you boomer fag? :lol:

In all seriousness I have my substitutes e.g I like mountain biking, arguably higher entertainment value but the risk and cost are both absurd. Soccer is really fun but you have to spread it out, not endless replay value or long sessions possible compared to the collective of games. Swimming...it gets fucking boring unless you also take it to dangerous and pricey extremes. Nothing truly compares to the best vidja. And yes, being stripped of the glorious incline, those that experienced such incredible things we probably do look like tantruming babies lol :lol: It is what it is.

Ash

Arcane
However, stuff like SMTV and the NieR games absolutely blow any AAA western RPGs released in the past decade out of the water.

But...but...it looks like this:

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-3.jpg

Absolutely not a graphics/art whore but low effort anime I do find hard to swallow. I consider it a personal flaw of mine. Especially when there are numerous low detail anime games I have enjoyed in the past. Well, not many but still.

I will consider playing SMTV.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
I could be saying the same thing if you're implying you enjoy Final Fantasy as an adult.

Vic

Savant
I could be saying the same thing if you're implying you enjoy Final Fantasy as an adult.
I mean, saying that THE two biggest JRPG franchises are "not worth playing".. and then immediately after that those two nuJRPGs blow games like Pathfinder, age of decadence and bg3 (yikes) out of the water... is kind of a retarded take, but you do you

I did enjoy SMT:IV tho, haven't played V yet.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Have to agree that JRPGs also peaked quite a while ago, at least in the AAA scene. Honestly I'd say somewhere around when Square ate Enix. There was some good shit here and there since that point, but the decline had definitely begun by then, with more and more games becoming glorified movies with safe, easy mechanics to pad them out. I blame all the hype FF7 got for it's graphics, the industry has been chasing that dragon ever since. I could go into detail but I doubt most people care.

Shitposter
en immediately after that those two nuJRPGs blow games like

Pathfinder,
This is relatively popular within cRPG player but not pop nor it want to be a pop game.
age of decadence
Even more niche and is literally targeting niche audience
and bg3 (yikes) out of the water...
Literally one of if not the best RPG ever created and it is doubtful any cRPG/RPG will ever top this in this decade.
is kind of a retarded take, but you do you
I just know that you don't own a mirror. Because if you do have a mirror, well in that case, the phone number is 988.

JRPG is not RPG.

Vic

Savant
en immediately after that those two nuJRPGs blow games like

Pathfinder,
This is relatively popular within cRPG player but not pop nor it want to be a pop game.
age of decadence
Even more niche and is literally targeting niche audience
and bg3 (yikes) out of the water...
Literally one of if not the best RPG ever created and it is doubtful any cRPG/RPG will ever top this in this decade.
is kind of a retarded take, but you do you
I just know that you don't own a mirror. Because if you do have a mirror, well in that case, the phone number is 988.

JRPG is not RPG.
do you speak english? I think you need to read my post again because I have no idea what you are trying to say

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Why didn't you guys want the less typical setting when it did show up?
I wanted to love PoE2 for its setting but sadly it's just as boring a game as PoE1.
Why didn't you guys want the less typical setting when it did show up?
I wanted to love PoE2 for its setting but sadly it's just as boring a game as PoE1.
Ekera! The first game is better.
Just proving my point. Make a weird setting=fail. Make sword coast ripoff=succeed.
But Morrowind was one of the most-sold OG XBOX games.
Yet when compared to banal shit boring Oblivion it sold next to nothing.

Readher

Savant

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I now automatically blacklist medieval fantasy because I'm so sick of it.
I don't go so far as to blacklist it, but I do agree that there is way too much medieval fantasy out there.
Why not completely alien and exotic settings?
How about some Antiquity?
The Bronze Age?
Devs really haven't read anything about history and other fantasy books.
I don’t literally blacklist it (that’s not even feasible), I just mentally ignore them and don’t play them.

Yeah. There’s loads of historical periods, alternate/parallel histories, future settings, etc. There’s loads and loads of ttrpgs settings to pick from, for example.

Back in the late 90s and early 00s there was a wave of adventure shows trying to cash in on the success of Hercules and Xena. Their settings ranged the gambit of periods. There was a Conan the Barbarian show, Beastmaster, Queen of Swords (basically Lady Zorro), Relic Hunter (basically female Indiana Jones, but actually charming), Jules Verne, Sinbad, etc.

Why are crpg devs so uncreative?
Dark Sun is a great D&D campaign.
Wish they would've made more rpgs in this setting.

Readher

Savant
OpenMW isn't picked up by Steam as Morrowind, probably why.

Yes, but lets be real. Morrowind filter more normies. If Morrowind had quest compass and other Oblivion stuff and Oblivion din't had, Morrowind would be more played.
I don't think those are the things that filter people. The early combat where you miss 80% of the time is. This is by far the biggest complaint I see whenever Morrowind is brought up. The "figuring stuff on your own" aspect is rather appreciated.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Sun is a great D&D campaign.
Wish they would've made more rpgs in this setting.

One time I watched a 5e stream of Dark Sun.
  • Pronouns in character sheet
  • Their "wizard" was spamming firebolt left and right(note : As magic is hated in Athas, is good to NOT use flashy spells, eg - try to use spells like charm person, invisibility, etc instead of fireball and similar spells and at will cantrips makes no sense in Athas)
  • They founded a democratic progressist city in mid of Athas ruled by a female DWARF Preserver president
  • They fought a group of elite templars at lv 1 and own
  • Also found a "sandship" at lv 1 and the Dwarf Preserver president gave a very important mission to investigate the "evil oppression of sorcerer kings" in a nearby city
I imagine that any modern vydia in 5e - Dark Sun would be like this. You in a progressist city fighting against fascist sorcerer kings and probably defeating Borys at lv 10-.

he early combat where you miss 80% of the time is.

Only if you choose poorly your build eg - having no skill in short blade and trying to use a knife, you will miss 80% of the time. But the main problem of Morrowind is that there is no animation for your weapon being deflected by enemy armor, like has with shield blocking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom