Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
However, since Japan is much smaller and not infected with cuckoldry and soy

Made by a Japanese company for a Japanese publisher. This perception is not accurate.
But Fromsoft titles and the Persona games seem to both wildly popular and well regarded.
Atlus seems to be mostly sitting on their asses these days and just shoveling out remasters and remakes. On their front page, there's three new games, and 7 rehashes. Persona 5 came out 8 years ago.
Couldn't get enough of Niggas on a grid ever since he tried Final Fantasy Tactics?
Final Fantasy Tactics was probably my favorite PSX game. It's definitely my favorite non-fighting game for that console. I even got the GameBoy Advance one, but that one just wasn't nearly as good. It was goofy.
They make new Fire Emblem games every other year. Even first person dungeon crawler fans didn't have to wait more than a couple of years between major releases.
Don't forget the plethora of "mystery dungeon" games. Japan was pumping out rogue-lites for quite a while before they caught on here in the West, despite originating here in the West and the smashing success of Diablo.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maturity is realizing that western devs always made shittier games than Japanese devs, on average, since the 80s.
All I'll say about this is that JRPG fans tend to be a happier and more optimistic bunch, whereas cRPG fans tend to be angry, resentful, and very eager to burn down the industry that makes their games.

Take that as you will.

JRPG fans are often weirdos in it for the characters/pure storyfaggots that doesn't give a fuck about anything beyond that, anime dweebs or often just clueless altogether though. Abysmally low standards across the board, look no further than Chrono Trigger often being voted #1. It's not always the case but this does describe the typical JRPG fan. WRPG fans being more commonly dissatisfied indicates higher standards in the player, but I don't think this says anything about the two types of games though and there is plenty shit-eating WRPG fans too. It's just JRPG attracts a certain...type. Like how Bioware attracts a certain type but on a larger scale.

As a fan of both to some extent (RPG is my fav genre but I exclude the fake "RPG" storyfag ones, too anime-cringe laden, or otherwise low quality, which leaves me with 3% of RPGs ever made), I am deeply disappointed with the modern iteration of both.
Most of the classic JRPG franchises people associate with the genre like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are pure slop that arent worth playing. However, stuff like SMTV and the NieR games absolutely blow any AAA western RPGs released in the past decade out of the water.

Call me a weeb or whatever but I haven't even bothered playing any modern WRPGs and for newish stuff stick exclusively to Japanese games and haven't been disappointed. No woke bullshit is also a major plus.
Do we have a weeb button? Slanted eyed codexian with a nip flag maybe? Or just a "weeb" like we have a "yes!"

Readher

Savant
Do we have a weeb button? Slanted eyed codexian with a nip flag maybe? Or just a "weeb" like we have a "yes!"
26659%20-%20SoyBooru.png

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Most of the classic JRPG franchises people associate with the genre like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are pure slop that arent worth playing. However, stuff like SMTV and the NieR games absolutely blow any AAA western RPGs released in the past decade out of the water.
shouldn't you be studying for school kid
I could be saying the same thing if you're implying you enjoy Final Fantasy as an adult.
Pathfinder, age of decadence and bg3
The only good game you mentioned here was age of decadence. Opinion discarded. No need to reply any more.

And yes, dragon quest and basically every rpg franchise made by squeenix is slop made for children.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They'll commit to Sailor Sudoko, Sokoban style with uh.... sushi.

Yeah... the alliteration bug bit again.

GrainWetski

Arcane
shouldn't you be studying for school kid
I could be saying the same thing if you're implying you enjoy Final Fantasy as an adult.
I mean, saying that THE two biggest JRPG franchises are "not worth playing".. and then immediately after that those two nuJRPGs blow games like Pathfinder, age of decadence and bg3 (yikes) out of the water... is kind of a retarded take, but you do you

I did enjoy SMT:IV tho, haven't played V yet.
Big yikes indeed, my dude.

The kid doesn't even worship trannies and troglodykes, suck tentacles and watch ogres have sex like a real man.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
What's annoying about shit like this is that it forces you to improvise as a psychotherapist. Facing hyperbole and rants like this gives the impression of very bad mental health and so you start feeling pity, which is a shit feeling. You have to ask if the person saying "X hit rock bottom" isn't just transfering themselves unto said X, and they probably are. There's a lot of this on this forum of course. Honestly I couldn't give a shit, because I don't actually like feeling pity or empathy, but there it is. You're asking me to care because you don't care. Fuck off. If you hit rock bottom, then go even deeper, down the earth, in the mud and the trash, where no light shines, no hope resides, and fucking stay there. Become something else. Evolve. When you've grown your tentacles, maybe your opinions will be worth something.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
What's annoying about shit like this is that it forces you to improvise as a psychotherapist. Facing hyperbole and rants like this gives the impression of very bad mental health and so you start feeling pity, which is a shit feeling. You have to ask if the person saying "X hit rock bottom" isn't just transfering themselves unto said X, and they probably are. There's a lot of this on this forum of course. Honestly I couldn't give a shit, because I don't actually like feeling pity or empathy, but there it is. You're asking me to care because you don't care. Fuck off. If you hit rock bottom, then go even deeper, down the earth, in the mud and the trash, where no light shines, no hope resides, and fucking stay there. Become something else. Evolve. When you've grown your tentacles, maybe your opinions will be worth something.
I thought edgelord cringe died out in the early 2010s, thanks for this.

Seethe

Arbiter
Only good RPGs that came out of Japan recently are the action kind and were made by Team Ninja: Nioh 2 and Stranger of Paradise (even though the latter isn't for me, but I admit that it's a good game). There's not even such a thing as a weeb CRPG, and every turn based RPG that asians make is grindy, shallow mediocrity at best. Weebs have no tastes at all when it comes to anything creative. Not when it comes to music, not when it comes to art, not when it comes to video games. If the west were to disappear out of a sudden, it wouldn't even matter because Japs won't top what was released even a long time ago.

Ghost Of Iron

Literate
I really don't agree that Japan or JRPGs are going to hold the tide back, if you examine Japan they still culturally fall in the wake of the West, they simply lag behind by 15-20 years. You're already starting to see signs of the same issues that plagued WRPGs begin to crop up in JRPGs, look at the latest Trails games for a good example. And then there's the Elden Ring expansion, though I'll grant that it was partially written by a westerner.

Ash

Arcane
OpenMW isn't picked up by Steam as Morrowind, probably why.

Yes, but lets be real. Morrowind filter more normies. If Morrowind had quest compass and other Oblivion stuff and Oblivion din't had, Morrowind would be more played.

The number one filter for mediocre minds is always the presence of navigation challenge. But...it's not fair to call 80% of the population mediocre based on this alone lol, Lots of people have issues with navigation...and yet the statement is still 100% true. It is the thing that filters dumb casuals more than anything else. The game industry correctly identified this and that is why every single modern game is devoid of any navigation challenge whatsoever, aside from indies. Sad! I miss it. Back in my days every other game offered navigation challenge :(

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
OpenMW isn't picked up by Steam as Morrowind, probably why.

Yes, but lets be real. Morrowind filter more normies. If Morrowind had quest compass and other Oblivion stuff and Oblivion din't had, Morrowind would be more played.

The number one filter for mediocre minds is always the presence of navigation challenge.
"Challenge" is a bit of a stretch. NPCs give you directions in excruciating detail and it's added to your journal.

People totally exaggerate the significance of the lack of quest markers/compass in Morrowind. It's a cool feature for immersion purposes but that's basically the extent of the difference from a gameplay perspective.

Ash

Arcane
Wut. You seriously think objective markers vs none is a matter of "immersion" and that's it? No difference in gameplay? Jesus I already had you filed under halfwit, may have to be downgraded to quarter.

Also I play Final Fantasy as an adult, and they're probably better, more intelligent, high quality and stimulating than the games you play. Some ammo for you to strike back, I'll throw you a bone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom