Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To be fair, finger of death is a dumb spell. All the really bonkers stuff is utility- teleportation, flight, invis, wall of force, reverse gravity... grease. Barbarians kill dragons, casters enslave them to defend their golden moon fortress.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To be fair, finger of death is a dumb spell. All the really bonkers stuff is utility- teleportation, flight, invis, wall of force, reverse gravity... grease. Barbarians kill dragons, casters enslave them to defend their golden moon fortress.
Finger of Death when used against things that are not immune to Death Effects and have low Fort saves.
You can definitely get some use out of this spell.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dominate Person is pretty messed up...
Why force your will upon someone else and mentally make them your slave when you can just shove a Greatsword through his guts or decapitate him instead?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Things have *never* been this bad, and they're worse than even the worst pessimists could have predicted. Whether it's the AAAAAAA big-budget games or indie crap, everything is shit. WRPGs have become a laughingstock, they make JRPGs look positively wholesome and sane by comparison.

I hope that the WRPG market goes out of business and RPGs die as a genre like RTS games. It's been an endless onslaught of nothing but SHIT, and I'm tired of it. WRPGs have failed. Westoids are no longer capable of creating anything other than pozzed trash. It's over.

:timetoburn:
you must be pretty young not to remember the pre-2013 RPG drought. Between the fall of Troika and the kickstarter renaissance we basically had Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas and Vogel's games.

If anything we're being spoiled these days with new releases. Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 will be most glorious but there are other worthy ones. Last year we had Baldur's Gate 3 & Jagged Alliance 3. Entire franchises and subgenres are getting resurrected after 20+ years.

I know doomposting is popular in these parts, but you can only bend reality so much before seeming utterly deranged.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Dominate Person is pretty messed up...
Why force your will upon someone else and mentally make them your slave when you can just shove a Greatsword through his guts or decapitate him instead?
I can think of a bunch of reasons....none of them safe for work.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Entire franchises and subgenres are getting resurrected after 20+ years.

I agree with everything that you said except this.

Sure, we have more cool games being developed, like KDC2, Tainted Grail, and Elden Ring DLC, but older franchises being resurrected is not a good thing. They are being resurrected by the most evil, dark magic ever created. A mix of the worst necromancy with Frankfurt Neo-Marxism. Look at this:

PG6j5Nb.png

And compare the writing. People tend to hate Bioware romance (with reason), but only to show how they declined it. In Dragon Age Origins, you can only end up as a ruler if you play as a woman and romance a specific companion. Now that everyone and everything is pansexual, gender doesn't matter. I would rather have nothing over the new VtMB and Dragon Age.

I can think of a bunch of reasons....none of them safe for work.

Not only NSFW stuff. You can become much wealthier with it. Sadly, the guys from the Gnome Merchant Guild never sell scrolls of it to non-gnomes. hu3hu3

Readher

Savant
you must be pretty young not to remember the pre-2013 RPG drought. Between the fall of Troika and the kickstarter renaissance we basically had Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas and Vogel's games.
We also had Witcher 1 and 2, Alpha Protocol and various Bioware titles.

Readher

Savant
In Dragon Age Origins, you can only end up as a ruler if you play as a woman and romance a specific companion.
You can "romance" Anora as a male, too. Both options are locked to the human noble origin though, and not just gender locked, which is a nice touch.

Baron Tahn

Scholar

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
okay, action rpgs remained kind of strong during this time. But outside Spiderweb software classical rpgs were a dying breed.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Entire franchises and subgenres are getting resurrected after 20+ years.

I agree with everything that you said except this.

Sure, we have more cool games being developed, like KDC2, Tainted Grail, and Elden Ring DLC, but older franchises being resurrected is not a good thing.
Be that as it may, I prefer a world with Jagged Alliance 3 and Archolos to a world without them.
They are being resurrected by the most evil, dark magic ever created. A mix of the worst necromancy with Frankfurt Neo-Marxism. Look at this:

PG6j5Nb.png

And compare the writing. People tend to hate Bioware romance (with reason), but only to show how they declined it. In Dragon Age Origins, you can only end up as a ruler if you play as a woman and romance a specific companion. Now that everyone and everything is pansexual, gender doesn't matter. I would rather have nothing over the new VtMB and Dragon Age.
Not all franchises should have made a return, true. Some returns are just low effort cash grabs with a distinct DEI flavor. But I prefer having good games and bad games available to not having almost any games in my favorite genre.

Readher

Savant
okay, action rpgs remained kind of strong during this time. But outside Spiderweb software classical rpgs were a dying breed.
It was the period of "PC is not worth it, everyone just pirates there", so naturally we mostly saw games with console-centric design back then.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was the period of "PC is not worth it, everyone just pirates there", so naturally we mostly saw games with console-centric design back then.
Yeah, because console games are not also targets of pirates, right?
Hehe...

Readher

Savant
Yeah, because console games are not also targets of pirates, right?
Hehe...
I'm talking about what the suits in companies were thinking, not what the reality was. It was true to an extent since consoles dominated in wealthy countries and those who played on PCs in them mostly sticked to a few multiplayer games instead of buying yearly AAA releases. Meanwhile, the countries where PCs dominated were too poor to buy games regularly and pirated. While consoles also saw piracy, it was much more complicated for an average Joe than just typing "download x rapidshare" in google.

For the past few years, PCs are much more common everywhere, likely due to streamers influence, and Eastern Europe got richer, so it isn't that big of a problem.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem of the 00s is that big publisher executives wanted to catch the biggest possible market. And a console game can just be ported to PC - in fact, it can simply be developed as a multiplatform game from the start. Much harder to port a game designed for PC to consoles, because controllers are so much less versatile than the superior mouse & keyboard. So PC-centric genres with controls that can't be easily adapted to controllers were hit the hardest.

Even console games declined to some degree at the time, it wasn't just PC that was raped. Everything became popamole at the time to appeal to an as wide as possible audience, which meant high flashiness but low difficulty.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Which is interesting because we're seeing Nintendo waging this war right now with their current console and all their previous ones, which the latter is fairly odd considering they no longer offer older games and a Virtual Console for the Switch. I can understand the Switch stuff raising their hackles considering how paranoid publishers are about piracy and how the Switch has been fairly compromised, and there's quite a few titles out there for the Switch. Thousands of them. A lot of them have PC versions as well. The argument that the PC is rife with piracy has been completely flipped in current year. Instead of hacking game by game, new release by new release, you have to just crack the console and make an emulator. And yes, I acknowledge it's easier to crack copy protection than it is to break the encryption on a console and make an emulator, but the end result is opening the door to that thousands of games library for piracy at all once.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Some RPGs I enjoyed in the past six years

Archolos
Enderal
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Disco Elysium
Baldur's Gate 3
Jagged Alliance 3
Wasteland 3
Greedfall
Cyberpunk 2077
Vampyr

Not bad.

And while few of the upcoming ones are not looking particularly great (DA4, Avowed, VTMB2), the jury is still out, maybe they will surprise. If not, there is still KCD2 and hopefully Gothic remake. And I am curious about Thaumaturge.

Readher

Savant
Some RPGs I enjoyed in the past six years

Archolos
Enderal
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Disco Elysium
Baldur's Gate 3
Jagged Alliance 3
Wasteland 3
Greedfall
Cyberpunk 2077
Vampyr

Not bad.

And while few of the upcoming ones are not looking particularly great (DA4, Avowed, VTMB2), the jury is still out, maybe they will surprise. If not, there is still KCD2 and hopefully Gothic remake. And I am curious about Thaumaturge.
There's also Fall of Avalon (currently planned for full relesse this year, though I doubt it personally, H1 2025 seems more realistic) and hopefully Urban Strife, which has been delayed undefinitely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom