Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'll never forgive Starfield for being so shit that it wasn't even worth modding.

Where's my zero-G space sex, Todd?!?!

:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2020: Wasteland 3, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk
2021: Archolos, Trudograd
2022: Knights of the Chalice 2, King Arthur: Knight's Tale
2023: Jagged Alliance 3, Caves of Lore
2024: Kingdom Come Deliverance II, maybe something else?

Seems like a pretty all right state to me.

Vatnik Wumao
Hitting rock bottom implies that things can't get any worse.
ckzbovE.jpeg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Big budget wrpgs are in a dire strait, but if you look around for good smaller titles, you will find them.

But judging from the Codex forum, the actual good games have small threads, and the games that are supposed to be shit have mega threads.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
But judging from the Codex forum, the actual good games have small threads, and the games that are supposed to be shit have mega threads.

the good smaller games are still lacking in certain areas (presentation being one of them). There's less to love there than there is to hate about the absolute shitpiles that are AA and AAA games.

Now if you look at the good old games, they can keep up with the post count of shit games (Might & Magic and Wizardry threads)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're not wrong, but I'm not as affected by graphics as other people. Good presentation is a plus, but not a requirement for me. And the old games will more often than not be the better ones, but sometimes, you want something new.

Nox Archaist, Caves of Lore, Ho Tu Lo Shu are only a few games that I really enjoyed in the past couple of years.

Sweeper

Arcane
Hitting rock bottom implies that things can't get any worse.
From the standpoint of mechanics and complexity, they literally can't.
Ah, there's your first mistake, thinking that the Codex is filled with monocle wearing motherfuckers who know and play good RPGs.
We don't. We'll play the slop (and discuss it endlessly).

Froila

Educated
Big budget wrpgs are in a dire strait, but if you look around for good smaller titles, you will find them.

Because shitting on bad games is funnier than playing good ones.

(And less time consuming.)

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
For some reason people still haven't realized that JRPGs have become shit too.
Elden Ring, Dragon's Dogma 2, Rise of the Ronin, even Tears of the Kingdom have all been big-budget non-indie mainstream RPGs from Japanese studios that look, feel and play like actual games, as opposed to DEI indoctrination centers with just enough shitty gameplay to technically count as a "video game".

There's no comparison between WRPGs and JRPGs. The former is beyond shit. Nothing good playable ever comes out in the West anymore, ever. It is MUCH worse than 2008.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Skinwalker talking sense? Wtf

Btw cRPG lovers could totally fall back on RoboCop: Rogue City as a solid non-woke defence but they wont acknowledge it as a RPG :lol:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The top RPG of the era is turn-based D&D and you're blackpilling?

Oh noes, BioWare and Bethesda made shitty games. This has never happened before.
Turn-based makes a game good not and one good game makes good times not.

And no, whatever Codex - a prestigious abode for the most autistic, anal RPG aficionados and gourmets imaginable, the one percent of the one percent - thinks of Bioware or Bethesda, neither used to produce irredeemable toxic waste before, say, 2015.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom