Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter WTF is this

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
It's been most informative watching that video.
I never interact with these sort of "people" so it was quite a revelation.

Thoughts..

1. They are not very intelligent, but think they are.
2. None of them has a sense of humour, yet they constantly laugh.
3. The conversation between them is very odd, not only the limited vocabulary but the complete lack of structure and meaning.
4. The unnatural nature of them physically and mentally makes my skin crawl, you wouldn't trust these people with anything.
5. We often refer to these people things as sjws, npcs etc.. but I think a better term is 'hollow people'.. "The Hollow".. they seem barely human
:prosper:
6. They have no idea how to roleplay and it's obvious they have no interest in gaming itself.
7. This list could be a lot longer, but I want to stop thinking about them.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
4. The unnatural nature of them physically and mentally makes my skin crawl, you wouldn't trust these people with anything.
Good one; that was my main impression as well. Uncanny valley people, with the additional effect of their wardrobes. Instinctively repulsive. Your primate reactions are triggered by their appearance, even through the screen.

lightbane

Arcane
It's fine. These "people" rarely go out to the streets, unless it's in neighborhoods populated by the same vile kind as them.
Without internet, chances are they would off themselves quickly.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not just the weird arousal -- why are the players telling what their characters are seeing and not the GM? What sort of faggotry is that?
One of the main focuses of the "new-age" games released over the last two decades has been to increase player agency, stripping the DM of many of his traditional prerogatives. The role of players has quickly gone from "acting in a predetermined situation" to "telling a story". Even D&D 5E has something like this in the form of the Plot Points variant rule:

pp.png
This can be fun if you want to get shit-faced while recreating the parody of a D&D adventure, but it can't be used if you want to play anything even remotely similar to a standard RPG.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not just the weird arousal -- why are the players telling what their characters are seeing and not the GM? What sort of faggotry is that?
One of the main focuses of the "new-age" games released over the last two decades has been to increase player agency, stripping the DM of many of his traditional prerogatives. The role of players has quickly gone from "acting in a predetermined situation" to "telling a story". Even D&D 5E has something like this in the form of the Plot Points variant rule:

pp.png
This can be fun if you want to get shit-faced while recreating the parody of a D&D adventure, but it can't be used if you want to play anything even remotely similar to a standard RPG.

Option 1 seems like it'd just cause some mad libs style bullshit, depending on your players and the style of the campaign. Option 3 seems like it would be completely dysfunctional, assuming that people actually showed up with some ideas instead of what I assume is the far more common result (most/everyone shows up with nothing). Option 2 might actually be fun or interesting with the right group dynamic.

Options 1 and 2 also remind me of some other TTRPGs I've played when I was younger that were more collaborative, like Over the Edge and a few others whose names elude me for the moment. I think they could be workable, but again, it'd depend on the players (and DM) as well as the campaign style.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

pp.png

In the pre-Wizards of the Woke era of TTRPGs players had plenty of agency. They had greater freedom to do things under the You Can Try It way of playing. Today it's You Can't Do It Without X or Y.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In the pre-Wizards of the Woke era of TTRPGs players had plenty of agency. They had greater freedom to do things under the You Can Try It way of playing. Today it's You Can't Do It Without X or Y.
With "player agency", in the context of "new-age" RPGs, I mean being able to shape the world and events bypassing the DM. Stuff that goes well beyond simply deciding what your own character does or tries to do, like creating NPCs on-the-fly, deciding what NPCs do, and adding features and details to a situation.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

pp.png

Plot points are totally fine, if they have halfway decent rules written around them instead of the retardiation that WotC produces.
FAsVF2r.png
ziQeSVP.png

In Edge of the Empire they work completely fine in practise, and even fit the thematic with the light and dark side affinity, and being a bit heavier on deus ex machina moments and lower on cohesion fits with Star Wars.
The problem is WotC just stole from whatever rulebook invented this mechanic in the first place, made it worse, and copied it without regard as for how it meshes with the actual game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
5. We often refer to these people things as sjws, npcs etc.. but I think a better term is 'hollow people'.. "The Hollow".. they seem barely human

Nice choice of words. Here is a track by a metal band which may be a bit more based than the mainstream catches on.

Silva

Arcane
One of the main focuses of the "new-age" games released over the last two decades has been to increase player agency, stripping the DM of many of his traditional prerogatives. The role of players has quickly gone from "acting in a predetermined situation" to "telling a story".
Yep, and it's great. But even as someone fond of this "NuSchool" (Pbta is the only shit I run these days), I've found Sword Lesbians too over the top and not really my thing. I would probably still give it a try though.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

pp.png

Plot points are totally fine, if they have halfway decent rules written around them instead of the retardiation that WotC produces.
FAsVF2r.png
ziQeSVP.png

In Edge of the Empire they work completely fine in practise, and even fit the thematic with the light and dark side affinity, and being a bit heavier on deus ex machina moments and lower on cohesion fits with Star Wars.
The problem is WotC just stole from whatever rulebook invented this mechanic in the first place, made it worse, and copied it without regard as for how it meshes with the actual game.

Wizards of the Woke and other companies stole the mechanic from West End Games. In WEG Star Wars you have Force Points that you use to double the amount of dice you roll. In D6 Adventure /Space/Fantasy it's Fate Points and Ghostbusters International has Brownie Points. Depending on how you used the point determines if you get the point back or if it's lost forever or you get it back plus a second one. In WEG Star Wars, you can also gain Dark Side Points while using a Force Point. All of these rules were published way before the current retardation.

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
Jokes aside, how come 90% of PnP playerbase are, as of late, transgender furry pedos?

I'm not sure.. and it's not just pnp, they seem to be multiplying everywhere.
I have several theories;

1. There is something in the food and water, some of us are resistant but many are not and like the lead plumbing theory of yore, it's sending everyone nuts.
2. Aliens, not ((())) but actual aliens, like invasion of the body snatchers.
3. Demonic possession, chaos invasion.
4. Mass hysteria/religious globohomo fervour similar to how many religions/political movements have had bouts of jihad/crusade/witch burning/cultural revolutions etc..

..it seems to be a persistant human condition that insists some people have to be annoying/genocidal to other people.. and we either kill them or wait for them to get bored of being twats.

Unless it is aliens/demons in which case, we are all going to die.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
4. Mass hysteria/religious globohomo fervour similar to how many religions/political movements have had bouts of jihad/crusade/witch burning/cultural revolutions etc..
Addendum to this: Trannies, homos and such scum are predatory and, since no sane woman will be with them ever (assuming they're not sterile to begin with), they search for weak, vulnerable souls to corrupt and turn them into lunatics as well, prolonging the circle of abuse and bringing more sheep to the insane, ever-expanding fold.
There may or may not be a third party behind them funding said movements too.

Humbaba

Arcane
Wargaming's base has always consisted of semi-wealthy mostly normal if awkward nerds, whereas pnp has always attracted the dregs of the proles. Reminder that Greenwood's original vision of FR contained orgies and homosexuality in abundance.

Norfleet

It's not just the weird arousal -- why are the players telling what their characters are seeing and not the GM?
When the player is telling the GM what he is seeing instead of the GM telling the player, we call this a "delusion". As the GM, I'll allow it. Player characters are permitted to be delusional, this is perfectly legitimate. I mean, we're dealing with a crowd of people who obviously suffer from mental sickness anyway, or they wouldn't be murderhobos. If a player wishes to roleplay some mental sickness, I'll allow it. If, for instance, the player says he SEES a bridge across a bottomless pit, but I haven't actually supported this claim, I'll just nod and go along with it, and when the player attempts to cross his imaginary bridge, he falls to his certain 3D doom. Unless this is like, some kind of cartoon RPG. Then he's fine as long as he doesn't look down.

Holy fucking shit, yesterday I found out that this shitty "game" has a Spanish translation. I cannot fathom why or how would anyone buy it, but things being the way they are in Spain, I wouldn't be surprised if they got government handouts for it.

lightbane

Arcane
The woke cancer is infiltrating and corrupting Spain slowly but steadily. Lately I've seen freaks during the standard tabloid shows while zapping.

Humbaba

Arcane
You guys did Franco real dirty by dumping his remains into the nearest garbage can. No matter your opinion on the guy, a man buried stays buried. He definitely shouldn't get exhumed on the orders of atheists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom