Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Allegedly Wants to Speed Up Fallout 5 Launch

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
MS being shortsighted as always. Should have put Fargo and inXile on a 3D overhead spinoff over a year ago.
If they wanted to have something for the release of tv series, then more like 2-3 years ago.

MS purchased iniXile in 2018. Amazon purchased rights to Fallout tv series in 2020. MS should have given the assignment to either Obsidian or iniXile back then - it was already obvious that Bethesda was busy with Starfield and unable to deliver anything Fallouty.

Even if MS makes some decisions now there will be 3-4 years before we see a final product. Even if the chosen studio works on Starfield engine, which is already quite obsolete.
Yes, Microsoft, before the end of 2020, should have taken note of the relative success of Wasteland 3, as well as the fact that Bethesda was still years away from completing Starfield and would then be working on The Elders Scrolls VI. Rather than allow InXile to develop Clockwork Revolution, it should have been assigned Fallout: New New Orleans, in the style of Wasteland 3, which could have been released shortly before the television series, so that viewers would have a new, polished Fallout game to play.

Or InXile could have been handed the Fallout 4 version of Bethesda's Gamebryo engine and told to make an Open World RPG Fallout: New New Orleans in a little over three years. :M

Bulo

Scholar
Fallout 4 and 76 are very ugly games. Just ghastly. I really do despise them. I don't want to play another game that looks like this:
ta7MZp5.png

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Because Bethesda devs can do only Gamebryo.
There've been several videos released in the last week that explain that the reason there's no Fallout game on the Switch is because Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas both use Gamebryo. Apparently Skyrim confuses them and Fallout 4 does as well.

deuxhero

Arcane
MS being shortsighted as always. Should have put Fargo and inXile on a 3D overhead spinoff over a year ago.
If they wanted to have something for the release of tv series, then more like 2-3 years ago.

MS purchased iniXile in 2018. Amazon purchased rights to Fallout tv series in 2020. MS should have given the assignment to either Obsidian or iniXile back then - it was already obvious that Bethesda was busy with Starfield and unable to deliver anything Fallouty.

Even if MS makes some decisions now there will be 3-4 years before we see a final product. Even if the chosen studio works on Starfield engine, which is already quite obsolete.
I doubt any of them expected the show to be remotely as popular as it was.
Irrelevant. Either the show flops and you need to regain fan trust, or the show does well and you need something to exploit the momentum.

Old Hans

Arcane
Fallout 4 and 76 are very ugly games. Just ghastly. I really do despise them. I don't want to play another game that looks like this:
ta7MZp5.png
they look like those old plastic action figures you could dress up in a little outfits

If you graph the amount of dumbing down from Fallout 1/2 to Fallout 3, then from Fallout 3 to Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, and project it to a theoretical Bethesda Fallout 5... :philosoraptor:

Jk09FYn.jpeg

DemonKing

Arcane
I don't think anyone could have predicted the runaway success of the FO TV show which literally had every episode dumped onto the market en masse rather than being drip-fed week by week like most TV shows with aspirations of being perceived as premium/quality entertainment these days outside of Netflix do. Aspirations were clearly fairly low.

Obviously having some gaming content to accompany its release would have been preferable, but given the huge uptick in people playing the legacy games Bethesda/MS are still doing ok out of it. Hell, even the freaking boardgame has cracked the top ten on Boardgamegeek after fading into obscurity relatively quickly after release a few years ago (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/232918/fallout).

Not sure if it's worthwhile trying to pump something out quickly as even if they could get something at an acceptable level of quality out in 2-3 years the audience's attention will have moved on. Obviously if something is already in the pipeline they could pump more resources into it to try to get it to market early but that's far from certain.

LizardWizard

Prophet
I don't think anyone could have predicted the runaway success of the FO TV show which literally had every episode dumped onto the market en masse rather than being drip-fed week by week like most TV shows with aspirations of being perceived as premium/quality entertainment these days outside of Netflix do. Aspirations were clearly fairly low.

Amazon did the same thing with the first season of The Boys, their most popular show. You don't hire a Nolan for a production with 'low aspirations'.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't think anyone could have predicted the runaway success of the FO TV show
I'm pretty sure the "runaway success" was fairly manufactured. I've mentioned it in the thread on the show that it's really weird seeing culture warrior channels that typically slam woke stuff for being woke shill the show despite the tranny, the interracial couples, the lesbians, the evil dude is the straight white male, etc. They were telling people to watch the show because LGBTQ activists were saying the show wasn't gay enough, which wasn't true at all, but seems like an attempt to mirror the boost that Hogwarts Legacy got in it's sales.
Obviously having some gaming content to accompany its release would have been preferable, but given the huge uptick in people playing the legacy games Bethesda/MS are still doing ok out of it.
Fallout 76 has never been so popular. On top of that, there's also articles from places like Ars Technica saying that Fallout 76 was always "good":

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/04/theres-never-been-a-better-time-to-get-into-fallout-76/

So, while they don't have anything new, they're rehashing their old stuff. The stuff with all the micro-transactions. Also, the Fallout 4 patch they just released fixed the Creation Club content that was breaking the game just in time to rake in sales for people looking for new content for their old game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think they overestimate the length of a typical TV-hype. By the time any studio would be finished with Fallout 5, there is already a different "flavour of the month" - series.
I think they are planning to release it with later seasons of Fallout, not banking on season 1 hype. Considering how long it would take to make a game of Fallout 5 size and how Fallout TV show will take about 2 years per season they could time it to release with Season 3 or 4 of the TV show.

agris

Arcane
Patron
These franchises will die at Xbox, lol.

Look at how they treated Halo – Xbox's flagship franchise.

They couldn't even handle game development when they just had the Xbox and PC to worry about. But somehow Xbox is gonna be multiplatform masters delivering great games within a reasonable time frame?
you aren't Ninjerk

911 Jumper

Educated
These franchises will die at Xbox, lol.

Look at how they treated Halo – Xbox's flagship franchise.

They couldn't even handle game development when they just had the Xbox and PC to worry about. But somehow Xbox is gonna be multiplatform masters delivering great games within a reasonable time frame?
you aren't Ninjerk
Nope. I don't even know who that is.

Trash Player

Scholar
What is Larian up to? BG3 proves AAA RPG can be more than FPS with stats to investor's eyes now, I reckon.
At this point, Fallout is valuable as a franchise rather than a series of games, like it or not. What a time to live in.

9ted6

Educated
It's really no different from any other streaming slop. The only reason Last of Us didn't take off was because it wasn't edgy and it didn't try to be funny. Offline normies love Marvel quip humor and redditors love that plus edgy shit and SJW pandering and the Fallout show has all three in spades.

What surprises me is that it got off much easier on the lore rape than Halo did which was so divergent from the games that even mainstream audiences didn't like it much. Fallout diverges just as hard but the people calling it out seem like a vocal minority, possibly because it was only aimed at the most casual of fans at best whereas Halo had more hype of being a truer adaptation of a game with a more unified fanbase.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
They did expect the Fallout series to be a flop, as it commonly happens nowadays with any modern media based on old IPs.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
MS should have given the assignment to either Obsidian or iniXile back then
More than 2 years since "reliable" reports that Obsidian was having discussions about working on a sequel:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rumor-new-vegas-2-from-obsidian.142852/
Source of the rumor Jeff Grubb Updated on his morning Show

"I can say that the discussion brought up years ago of Obsidian [being] approached about Fallout: New Vegas 2, that did happen," . "I also know that it wasn't just Bethesda being like, 'Hey, we don't want someone else making this game'. It was also partly Obsidian going, 'That would be a huge scale for us that we have backed away from'."

"There is currently no Fallout in development [...] It is very unlikely that Obsidian are going to be the people to make the next Fallout."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They did expect the Fallout series to be a flop, as it commonly happens nowadays with any modern media based on old IPs.
I haven't noticed a marketing push for a show like this in quite a while. I've even mentioned how they got a bunch of counter culture types to flat out lie about how woke the show is, saying the exact opposite of how gay the show is by claiming gay activists were complaining the show wasn't gay enough. It's almost like they took a page from Hogwart's Legacy becoming popular because of the tranny backlash to the game and turned that on it's head. We're living in a time where games that have links to Sweet Baby Inc are crashing and burning with their companies folding, yet the Fallout TV show got a pass on all that.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thought this video would fit snuggly in this thread, interesting Fallout TV premiere day insights from Cain

fallout-creator-tim-cain-with-todd-howard-at-the-premiere-v0-54ijt9v09ltc1.jpeg

1g31rbo64muc1.jpeg

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Holy shit, Todd Howard is one short piece of shit. If I shat something that small, I'd be wondering if it was worth undoing my belt over that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom