Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Archon looks too decorative and impractical to be consistent with the rest of the XCOM enemies. There's so much post-autopsy dialog in XCOM about how grotesque yet efficient the alien bodies are, because they were genetically engineered and/or surgically enhanced for particular purposes: to enhance psi power, to disguise as human, to fly, etc.

The most charitable interpretation is that the Archon was deliberately designed to tap into human culture and human symbols for psychological effect, but that's still inconsistent with the other alien designs in the sequel.

If only there was a cult that worshipped aliens...like something named after a star...I don't know, but there's nothing like that existed in the previous games, so there's no reason why it should be here, right?
xcoma031.png

Seriously, what a missed opportunity. They could have made Advent a sort of theocracy that worships aliens, or reintroduced the Cult of Sirius as being the main religion, which has the support of the Aliens and the government. Having such a garish unit would work then, as it clearly looks like some sort of idol

Also, is OpenTFTD playable yet? I am holding off until its in a good place.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Once we turn-based players get something cool looking and we're immediately bashing it because IMMERSUN :M

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Come on man, it's a fucking pumped-up dude without legs that shoots 100 rockets out of his back while screaming mid-air. How can this not be cool?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It also looks like something that Liberace would use to decorate his piano (dat gold and dem nipples!), and does not fit in with the overall xcom aesthetic or lore that we have seen so far.
Its like a dreadknight from Warhammer 40k. You can give it cool descriptions all you want, but it still looks like a baby carrier.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CthuluIsSpy
The conversation has already been had, but I feel it necessary to post as one more voice in support of your disdain for the Archon. The writers better knock it out of the park when I research a corpse and my guys theorize why the fuck it looks like that.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
By the way I'm not saying I love it , I just think that in a completely fictional futiristic alien-ocupied Earth you can go crazy in design. They generally switched all the aliens to a more humanlike form so for me it's not completely out of theme. A bit too much probably but, oh well, who cares?

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

I can see what they were going for, but the exposed chest just throws it off. A floater that "fits in" is a cool idea, hovering around like statues/sentries that only get involved when XCOM shit happens, but all I see when I look at it is...

ffxiv-notgay.jpg

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I can see what they were going for, but the exposed chest just throws it off. A floater that "fits in" is a cool idea, hovering around like statues/sentries that only get involved when XCOM shit happens, but all I see when I look at it is...

ffxiv-notgay.jpg

As I said, dem nips.
Apparently that chest area is synthetic. The aliens actually gave their synthetic killing machines nipples.

Mustawd

Don't let the bitchin' fool you. Most X-COM fans will give any Turn based XCOM game a shot.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I haven't really been following the game (other than glancing at the occasional alien nipple), but has there been any mention on what aspects of the Long War mod XCOM2 implements? I remember reading that the developers liked LW so I assume they took notes.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't really been following the game (other than glancing at the occasional alien nipple), but has there been any mention on what aspects of the Long War mod XCOM2 implements? I remember reading that the developers liked LW so I assume they took notes.
Offhand, I remember that they're going to let the player direct training paths similarly to LW. You can train this guy as an assault or a heavy, instead of just rolling the dice and SHIT another sniper.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Don't let the bitchin' fool you. Most X-COM fans will give any Turn based XCOM game a shot.
I tried so many Xcom like games, some in alpha state. I want to forget some of them :D

Xcom 2 from Firaxis is best game ever compared to some of those.

Mustawd

I tried so many Xcom like games, some in alpha state. I want to forget some of them :D

Xcom 2 from Firaxis is best game ever compared to some of those.

Ugh, I still remember the Xcom wannabe RTwP games. What a travesty. Playing that literally made me sad.

Zeriel

Arcane
As I said, dem nips.
Apparently that chest area is synthetic. The aliens actually gave their synthetic killing machines nipples.

The nipples aren't on the 3D model, so this is a rather pedantic thing to complain about. THE CONCEPT ART IS WRONGGGGGG.

XCOM%202_Firaxicon_Archon_Screenshot.jpg

I think the helmet and coloring is a bit dumb, but I like that it is clearly just a mechanical suit meant to look like flesh. You can even see the rivet/bolt holes. If there's a floater or other alien inside that thing when you autopsy it, I'm okay with it. Not my favorite of the new aliens, though. However, mechanically it looks nice. Another alien that forces you to reposition, like the Sectobot. (I'm assuming the artillery fire will have a warning and allow you to move out of range before it lands.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom