Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This fucker is nearly $74 on steam in Turkey.

:keepmymoney:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The worst part of Long War is how fucking long everything takes.
To me the worst part of Long War is that you're not supposed to play it like an XCOM game where guys die sometimes. If you lose an officer, it's time to reload because the aliens never lose progress and you can barely keep up even with a 100% survival rate.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/at/en/pc/games/strategy/xcom-2/
Use code SAVE23-WITHGM-GSEP15 at checkout to save 23%.
Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck. I know I'm going to want to play this release week. And I know that the price isn't going to be this low again for at least a year. Fuck. Fuck. I'm not made of stone you guys.

Eyeball

Arcane
So, any info on whether Nuxcom2 will be an actual strategy game or just the same kind of weird RPG-ish dungeon crawl that Nuxcom1 is, with Aliens standing stock still until spotted and then climbing into hiding for your dudes to shoot before moving onto the next spawn?

If so, it may be worth pirating, but I'm too butthurt about how Firaxis came up juuuuust short of making an awesome game in Nuxcom one and turned the resulting product into kind of a wet fart instead.

most probably it's going to be the exact same engine, so it's again "move the rearmost soldier one step in front of the rest of the team, overwatch all the others".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck. I know I'm going to want to play this release week.

It's a Firaxis game. I'm sure it's gonna be very good come February 2017.

As for the Long War discussion - completely agreed with the autism factor. It's a fantastic mod but you absolutely gotta know what are you getting into. A lot of meta required. One thing is clear - the vanilla EW hasn't been made obsolete by LW, it's still a legitimate undertaking.

Mustawd

Loving their approach to environment and procedurally created levels. Getting me hyped!

EDIT: Solomon's forced jokes are kind of groan inducing.

EDIT2: Ugh...on the cinematic overwatch crap.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Loving their approach to environment and procedurally created levels. Getting me hyped!

EDIT: Solomon's forced jokes are kind of groan inducing.

EDIT2: Ugh...on the cinematic overwatch crap.

Eh, you can probably turn it off. That was an option too.
I am still butt hurt that you can not build ship defenses. I wanted on board plasma cannons and a base assault minigame.
Sort of like in the 1993 game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It never stopped original X-Coms (from early 90s) from having tons of atmosphere. I would worry more about mechanics. Actually i don't worry - they will be as shit as in the first XCOM with some gimmicks added to hide the flaws so there isn't anything to worry about. <Goes back to Long War until someone mods XCOM2 to a playable state ~2 years from now - if we get lucky>.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose the Lego style art direction was required to make the procedural map generation work.
That's no excuse for this squeaky clean image. There's no reason the texture artists can't make things look less fake.

xcom-2012.jpg

The graphics aren't stunningly gorgeous or anything, but the textures are chaotic enough to make it look somewhat like a real place. Contrast:

86281_1024.jpg

I could eat my dinner off of that street, or off of those gas pumps; off of any surface we've seen in fact.

I don't know, maybe the intent is to make everything look more synthetic or something, like the streets are self-cleaning plastic, or like alien parasites eat away all the grime, or the oppressors force the citizens to constantly clean everything. Whatever the intent behind this fakey look (if there is an intent), it's not working; it just looks bad compared to its predecessor.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's no excuse for this squeaky clean image. There's no reason the texture artists can't make things look less fake.

xcom-2012.jpg

The graphics aren't stunningly gorgeous or anything, but the textures are chaotic enough to make it look somewhat like a real place.

XCOM looked ugly, budget and 2007ish when it was launched but comparing it now to the new one it really looks a lot more appealing.

Firaxis was never known for its inspired art department but XCOM2 is simply confusing. Like, what were they thinking?

Zeriel

Arcane

xcom-2012.jpg

The graphics aren't stunningly gorgeous or anything, but the textures are chaotic enough to make it look somewhat like a real place. Contrast:

86281_1024.jpg

I could eat my dinner off of that street, or off of those gas pumps; off of any surface we've seen in fact.

I don't know, maybe the intent is to make everything look more synthetic or something, like the streets are self-cleaning plastic, or like alien parasites eat away all the grime, or the oppressors force the citizens to constantly clean everything. Whatever the intent behind this fakey look (if there is an intent), it's not working; it just looks bad compared to its predecessor.

They're completely different environments. The alien cities are supposed to be sterilized. You can say you don't like their concept of the alien cities, but that's different from saying the art direction for the entire game is worse. They showed the "shantytown" areas in the video, they are basically the same as the areas from EU, only much more derelict/aged.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Firaxis was never known for its inspired art department but XCOM2 is simply confusing. Like, what were they thinking?
Expansion where they want reuse as much assets as possible?

Mustawd

Is it me or are the old X-COM enemies much scarier than these new generations? I mean FFS...a purple fathead hiding on the second floor could kill half your squad before getting to the damn building.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is going to be so awesome
:desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom