Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was syncronized in both original and EU\EW
Yeah, thinking back I don't remember missions taking place any time but night, so that shows you how much attention I paid :)

Now maps are matching with time clock on geoscape cause of dynamic lighting and that's nice, but why doing a time of day based clock with syncronized missions and leave the day\night cycle random
Yeah, absolutely agree. Procedural maps but random lighting, when the clock is right there? Silly.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Can someone watch this and tell us what changes are being done to counter the beaglerush maneuver thingie? :P

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Apparently it turns out in first few minutes :D

When spotting a flanked soldier the enemy gets the itchy trigger finger and shoots him with full force instead of scatter.
Then overwatch happens. Which may be smaller as the enemies dont move so whoever didn't have LOS - doesn't shoot.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well this will just make it harder as you will still do the same but also try to keep your guys in cover.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Well this will just make it harder as you will still do the same but also try to keep your guys in cover.

Enemies don't trigger on their turn if you're in cover through, even if in vision arc. They only do if "flanked", therefore not in cover, therefore they shoot your butt.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Enemies don't trigger on their turn if you're in cover through, even if in vision arc. They only do if "flanked", therefore not in cover, therefore they shoot your butt.
I didn't listen to video, only watch it. Did they say this?
If this is true, people will abuse that even more as it will let you get closer to them than ever and kill them on your turn.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

If this is true, people will abuse that even more as it will let you get closer to them than ever and kill them on your turn.

So.. the way it was intended. This is what we call overwatch trap, welcome to xcom.
And they still do skittle about if none of your soldiers is blatantly out of cover.

And yes, if you are in cover (at least from enemy approach side) you will not get discovered if n their vision range. You can't leave your spot though or get discovered. because movement in that range (even between covers) is a giveaway.

Zeriel

Arcane
Unfortunately i got no response by Devs about an issue i noticed.

The geoscape day\night cycle is completely random and doesn't match with the clock time.

I hope this will be fixed by a modder, in order to sync the geoscape cycle with the in-game time.

It does match the time of day, but geoscape clock time is GMT. It would make no sense for it to work off GMT when the local time is different, hence it uses the local time. Maybe someone will mod the clock to change timezones whenever you fly somewhere else, but to my mind that would be hilariously confusing.

ArchAngel

Arcane

So.. the way it was intended. This is what we call overwatch trap, welcome to xcom.
And they still do skittle about if none of your soldiers is blatantly out of cover.

And yes, if you are in cover (at least from enemy approach side) you will not get discovered if n their vision range. You can't leave your spot though or get discovered. because movement in that range (even between covers) is a giveaway.
Xcom 1 didn't have this. They spotted you from far away, you could not place your guys all super close and then trigger them. Now you will place everyone within one move distance, trigger them with one then use others to move next to them and blow their heads off with critical hits. At least in Xcom 1 you have to maneuver enemy AI so your other guy from out of sight going around to flank can get close enough so next turn he can move next to enemy to blow up their faces.

Zeriel

Arcane

Xcom 1 didn't have this. They spotted you from far away, you could not place your guys all super close and then trigger them. Now you will place everyone within one move distance, trigger them with one then use others to move next to them and blow their heads off with critical hits. At least in Xcom 1 you have to maneuver enemy AI so your other guy from out of sight going around to flank can get close enough so next turn he can move next to enemy to blow up their faces.

The concealmeant break is SUPPOSED to be a gimme. If you use the gimme to get one of your squad members fatally injured, you're using it poorly. The "fix" they came up with is surgical and pretty smart, since it disincentivizes that trick except in very weird scenarios (max armor heavies, maybe, using smoke + defense protocol from drone, etc), while not affecting the way most people play.

People who think putting a guy out of cover to intentionally trigger that behavior is a good idea haven't really understood how the new concealment system works, I think.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The concealmeant break is SUPPOSED to be a gimme. If you use the gimme to get one of your squad members fatally injured, you're using it poorly. The "fix" they came up with is surgical and pretty smart, since it disincentivizes that trick except in very weird scenarios (max armor heavies, maybe, using smoke + defense protocol from drone, etc), while not affecting the way most people play.

People who think putting a guy out of cover to intentionally trigger that behavior is a good idea haven't really understood how the new concealment system works, I think.
You misunderstand. Now you will get all your guys super close to enemy and it will be same vs 2-3 enemy patrols. All it will take is more time to set up (or maybe not). Their fix did solve the beaglerush tactic but what I just said will be used instead since you can be inside the red zone as long as you are not flanked (in cover).

Zeriel

Arcane
No, no, don't ruin it for him. Let him try that on the retail copy. I'm sure it'll work out. :^)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Please continue theorycrafting , these 2 weeks will be hard togo through otherwise :shredder:

Mazisky

Magister
It does match the time of day, but geoscape clock time is GMT. It would make no sense for it to work off GMT when the local time is different, hence it uses the local time. Maybe someone will mod the clock to change timezones whenever you fly somewhere else, but to my mind that would be hilariously confusing.

The cycle is completely reverted with the GMT time, this is clearly a mistake.

I will explain this better:

Actually, missions time of day is based on the clock, that is GMT.

If the clock is 02:00 AM and you have a mission in East Russia, (+8 Gmt more or less), you will have a day mission, and that's fine.

The geoscape cycle instead, is completely inverted, this means that on 2:00 AM on clock, London will be covered by the DAY part of the cycle who is supposed to reflect the 2:00 PM time. If you go on a mission in there, the game calculates the clock, so you get a night mission, as it should be.

They just inverted the cycle by mistake, and this should be fixed.

They only need to reverse the cycle, i really don't know how they can be unaware about this

Mazisky

Magister
Tweet them about it.

I don't have twitter but i wrote to Greg Foertsch E-mail without response yet.

If someone can tweet this issue would be really appreciated, so there is a chance they will fix it and we'll got a more polished product.

Mazisky

Magister
Tweet them about it.

I don't have twitter but i wrote to Greg Foertsch E-mail without response yet.

If someone can tweet this issue would be really appreciated, so there is a chance they will fix it and we'll got a more polished product.
If you can provide a short and clear message I'll do it

"Geoscape day\night cycle is completely reversed compared to the GMT geoscape clock. It needs to be synced correctly.
It's probably a mistake u are unaware about."

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Done. If I get any replies I will let you know. Also Jake Solomon tweeted this:
Darkest Dungeon is reeeeeeallly good. If you're looking for something turn-based to fill your time for, oh, two weeks, then this is it.

:positive:

Mazisky

Magister
Done. If I get any replies I will let you know. Also Jake Solomon tweeted this:
Darkest Dungeon is reeeeeeallly good. If you're looking for something turn-based to fill your time for, oh, two weeks, then this is it.

:positive:

Thank you, mate.

The only darkest Dungeon will be the worldmap of Xcom 2 if they don't fix this 'casue we'll get night dark Europe on 3:00 PM (15:00) ^^

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The only darkest Dungeon will be the worldmap of Xcom 2 if they don't fix this 'casue we'll get night dark Europe on 3:00 PM (15:00) ^^

Is it the dreaded US AM/PM problem, which is what small children have problem with?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom