Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You'll all be dark VIPs in my game.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
You'll all be dark VIPs in my game.

I know Infinitron is selected as volounteer to be a dark VIP in my game. I like how dark VIP can be rescued or just shot in the head, mission accomplished either way. Shot by sgt. Dindu Nuffin. That is the name Xcom operative gave advent soldiers when captured.

Also - I think you can have people as civilians and that's what 99% of Codex will be. Chryssalid chow.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will you guys be playing with the 3 mini mods from the Long War guys? I think I will, I like the "leadership" one as an idea. Will create a couple more dynamics in the game

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will you guys be playing with the 3 mini mods from the Long War guys? I think I will, I like the "leadership" one as an idea. Will create a couple more dynamics in the game

I mostly try to go vanilla in my first playthroughs but I can make some exceptions. What are those mods BTW, haven't read anything about them yet.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you feel like making a political commentary and for fun, you might as well make all the soldiers black and brown people from Africa and Middle East (shit is easy with baby names and surname sites) and all the dark VIPs be notable beautiful female German celebrities.
And voila!, there is your global machete rape gang simulator that you guys always wanted. :smug:

Comes with machete and mind rape too.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are those mods BTW, haven't read anything about them yet.
1) SMGs. An extra basic weapon type that increases mobility and concealment but has weaker range and does less damage than good old assault rifles.

2) Muton Centurions. Another enemy type, somewhere between plain old Mutons and Elite Mutons, supposedly with unique abilities to throw you off.

3) Some kind of Officer Training thing, kind of like the medals system for Enemy Within I guess.

Yeah, I think I may as well use them all. I like the idea of a smaller gun for my guys who want to sneak around, I like the idea of extra customization for my soldiers, and an extra enemy type, sure, why not, mix things up a little more on missions.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
If you feel like making a political commentary and for fun, you might as well make all the soldiers black and brown people from Africa and Middle East (shit is easy with baby names and surname sites) and all the dark VIPs be notable beautiful female German celebrities.
And voila!, there is your global machete rape gang simulator that you guys always wanted. :smug:

Comes with machete and mind rape too.

One of the reasons I'll get the game - sooner or later someone will MOD a full terrorist simulator on this.

This is Menace 1-5, yalla yalla!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also - I think you can have people as civilians and that's what 99% of Codex will be. Chryssalid chow.
I believe the choices are Soldier, VIP, and Dark VIP. Maybe if you uncheck them all they can be civilians too? Or maybe people can randomly be civilians by default no matter what? Anybody know?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
There is already some multiplayer footage as well. If someone enjoys the cancer that is multiplayer games - this time maps are also procedural. And squad can mix aliens and xcom units.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jake Solomon interview on "How one mod helped define the modern XCOM experience": http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/265065/How_one_mod_helped_define_the_modern_XCOM_experience.php

“It’s in your best interest to simply absorb the information without any sort of judgment and be able to say, ‘That’s better.' All I want as a designer is to make the best game possible, so I don’t care who came up with the idea, I don’t care if they insulted my mother as they delivered the idea to me, I don’t care because I’m more interested in ‘that’s a better idea.'"

“In regards to Long War, I’m almost more inclined to listen to them than anyone else because they’re only doing this out of passion. They don’t get paid, and so they’ve clearly put in time and are driven by passion. If the audience is passionate about it, they’ve clearly done some things better, they’ve shown more information to the player, and I’m not above throwing up m y hands and saying good for them.”

That said, there is an ethical concern when it comes to looking at these kinds of overhaul mods. Yes, they might do something better, and while they needed your base game to make their mod, how much can you take in terms of inspiration and mechanics from a mod before it becomes a form of theft?

Solomon has a few ideas. First of all, he tells me, “We wanted to make XCOM 2 in the mold of Enemy Unknown but better, and not in the mold of Long War but better. It still doesn’t come close to Long War in terms of complexity of some things, and certainly of challenge, although I will say that that is the biggest example of us looking at Long War, seeing how people responded to it, and being freed to say ‘I thinkEnemy Unknown has this reputation for challenge, but it’s only at its best when the player is under pressure and losing resources, and Long War was a really good example of that.’"

“There’s a magic in XCOM that Long War really found, and when you put the pressure on the player severely and more thoroughly, players engage with the systems more and the choices are more interesting," he adds."We tried to expressly make XCOM 2 more challenging than Enemy Unknown. [But] we wouldn’t dare try to take mechanics from a mod that’s done so much for you. Our ‘Legend’ difficulty is meant to bridge the gap until a Long War 2 comes along, because it’s clear that there’s an audience for that.”

While XCOM isn’t unique in having a thriving modding community, it is singular in that any mod made of it is an adaptation of an adaptation. As Solomon puts it, “I’ve never felt, and never will feel, a sense of ownership over the concept of XCOM. It was a masterpiece, and it’s Julian Gollop’s idea, and I don’t have any ego or sense that it’s mine.”

Heh, they even consulted with the LW creators to getting inputs on tuning the difficulty.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is already some multiplayer footage as well. If someone enjoys the cancer that is multiplayer games - this time maps are also procedural. And squad can mix aliens and xcom units.
Random maps are not a good feature when it comes to MP and mixing aliens and xcom was already available in nuXcom

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is much better than playing the same 5 maps.

It adds additional layer to tactics instead of google best build for multiplayer then memorize maps to death.

Problem is that what multiplayer-inclined people usually want.

The same maps that they can cheese to crush everyone on it so they can have their fun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Random maps are not a good feature when it comes to MP and mixing aliens and xcom was already available in nuXcom
You can play fast game that require brain and fast decision like SupCom FA. Why would you want to destroy decent offline game by MP?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Gonna be really hard to go back to "6 superheroes save the world" after so much Long War play and it's fatigue system forcing you to rotate 30-50+ soldiers.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gonna be really hard to go back to "6 superheroes save the world" after so much Long War play and it's fatigue system forcing you to rotate 30-50+ soldiers.
I had about 18 soldiers long rooster at the end of EW. And I don't count MECs, or SHIVs.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I had about 18 soldiers long rooster at the end of EW. And I don't count MECs, or SHIVs.

Never played vanilla EW, only EU Classic Ironman but while I probably had about 15-20 "people" in there, none but 6-8 mattered as far as I remember. As in, the others were fillers in case the big ones got touched somehow. Just mentioning it because seeing previewers on Legend chilling with like 8 dudes in the barracks 2 months in marked a really big contrast with my last LW game.

Zetor

Arcane
My roster at the end of my recent EW run was... 4 people. (Classic / Army of Four)

I did have a spare squad in the barracks, but they were just not needed after the entire team got mimetic skin. /balance

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only a few hours now

jack-gif.gif

Zeriel

Arcane

It'll make the game easier, so nope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom