Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck. Reading the steam forums... performance seems to be shit. A pc only game, and still the performance is messed up.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh yeah, and since I had to discover this the painful way:

FXAA is usually shit, but the other ingame AA options here don't work properly, they seem to be making the art assets look really fucked up. FXAA is much more restrained than usual here, so either use that or turn AA off entirely.
Are you playing? Legend? Do tell stuff

I just finished doing the tutorial on Commander because it has some story elements. I really recommend people do that, it has some cool nods to the previous game you probably don't want to miss. (You can't use the tutorial on Legend.) Just restarted on Legend + Iron Man, so we'll see how that goes.

Zeriel

Arcane
Fuck. Reading the steam forums... performance seems to be shit. A pc only game, and still the performance is messed up.

The performance is fine for me, probably people who thought they could run a 2016 game on potatoes. This isn't a PS3 game anymore. Also, I did see a review that cited performance problems during the pre-mission scene. People don't seem to grasp that is a loading screen--it uses a 3D scene, but it is still just a glorified loading screen, hence the game hitching occasionally during that and the intro cutscene when you arrive in a mission. Other than that I have yet to see any glaring issues.

60 FPS most of the time on my 6 year old computer.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not all seem to run it on potatoes though. They could be lying, but this many threads in this short timespan. I'm glad it is running well for you though. Gives me some hope :)

Zeriel

Arcane
Not all seem to run it on potatoes though. They could be lying, but this many threads in this short timespan. I'm glad it is running well for you though. Gives me some hope :)

It's pretty popular to complain about optimization no matter what, though. I am a guy who usually complains because I am running an ancient Phenom II 965 BE for a CPU, but this game doesn't seem that heavy compared to some recent titles. Probably just a matter of GPU. If you don't have a fairly modern $300 video card you should never expect to run new games anywhere near 60 FPS. And while I don't buy "FPS doesn't matter for strategy games", it is true that FPS dipping from 60 to 50 matters a lot less for an isometric strategy game like this than for a first person game.

I remain SUPER TRIGGERED by the fact cutscenes in every game are still 30 fps or lower though. I guess that's just the way it is with file sizes and whatnot, but it's still jarring.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Forgive a picky question, but can anyone with game access tell me how many characters will fit in the biography field in chargen?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Not the fps that bothers me that much, it is the mention of freezing and stuttering. Those things are worse than less than 60 fps, for me at least :)

I remember the original stuttered like mad when a mutant beserker moved. Such a odd bug that was never fixed.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Forgive a picky question, but can anyone with game access tell me how many characters will fit in the biography field in chargen?

You writing long stories? I didn't even know you could do that. I hope you can write stuff on their "grave" as well :)

Zeriel

Arcane
Ha ha, WEW.

First mission on Legend, the only shot the enemy got to take hit a guy through full cover and one shot him. I ain't even mad. :')

Zeriel

Arcane
Not the fps that bothers me that much, it is the mention of freezing and stuttering. Those things are worse than less than 60 fps, for me at least :)

I remember the original stuttered like mad when a mutant beserker moved. Such a odd bug that was never fixed.

There is a little stuttering during the mission loading screen (guys sitting in the skyranger) and sometimes on the first camera shot as your guys land, but I haven't seen it during missions unless I'm alt-tabbing a ton and that is obviously my fault.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You writing long stories? I didn't even know you could do that.
Not huge, but there is room for about a paragraph for each soldier. Just long enough for a brief history and a touch of personality.
I don't plan to write endless pages of fanfic but I do like to establish a bit of story for each character :)

I guess I can use one of these screenshots out there to estimate how much space is available. Will suck if I go over the limit by 5 letters though.

EDIT: in case anyone else cares, that screenshot I linked has a 325 character bio with a little space left it looks like. Call it 350.

Zombra

Patron
So, is the campaign more open and dynamic this time, or I will have to do the same missions on the same order each new game ?
I haven't played it yet, but all the marketing says that non-linearity and procedural generation is a huge deal, not just map by map, but in the campaign as well. I imagine the plot will take a fairly linear course, but it's not going to be Mission A then Mission B then Mission C every playthrough.

In other news, still hoping someone with the game can verify a character count in the biography field. 350 is proving hard to work with :mad:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Ha ha, WEW.

First mission on Legend, the only shot the enemy got to take hit a guy through full cover and one shot him. I ain't even mad. :')
What did I said about increased legend difficulty in comparison to reviewers copies. I'd suggest commander first to see story and stuff, then legend.

Polanski

Scholar
Ha ha, WEW.

What did I said about increased legend difficulty in comparison to reviewers copies. I'd suggest commander first to see story and stuff, then legend.
So you think Legend Iron Man will be too hard for a veteran wanting a challenge? Legend in the preview videos just seems so easy.
I guess I can always turn it down or restart, if it becomes too tough.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Performance is shit and completely unacceptable for a pc exclusive... Strategy game thats barely a graphical upgrade from the previous version.

Lazy, lazy programing.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Performance is shit and completely unacceptable for a pc exclusive... Strategy game thats barely a graphical upgrade from the previous version.

Lazy, lazy programing.
Its not just that by any stretch of the imagination. Its all the modular parts that make it so heavy(if it is, didnt play yet). Every map is compiled anew every time, almost everything is destructible... a lot of things are going on.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In other news, still hoping someone with the game can verify a character count in the biography field. 350 is proving hard to work with :mad:

You can write bios for your X-Com soldiers? Are they all like, "Peter Smith is a top class marksman. His hobbies include panicking at the first sight of mutons and hoping not to get liquidated by plasma fire." Just curious.

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Lazy, lazy programing.
Its not just that by any stretch of the imagination. Its all the modular parts that make it so heavy(if it is, didnt play yet). Every map is compiled anew every time, almost everything is destructible... a lot of things are going on.

And yet, my CPU isn't being used much as expected, but my GPU is under heavy load. Memory usage is fine and expected though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom