Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Stompa

Arcane
Legend + Ironman... bets on how many restarts it takes me to drop to Commander?

Going Ironman on a freshly released game seems like a fool's errand, who knows what kind of bugs are still unsquashed by Firaxis.

Zeriel

Arcane

Going Ironman on a freshly released game seems like a fool's errand, who knows what kind of bugs are still unsquashed by Firaxis.

More like a way to get some actual enjoyment out of the game, I would never spend retail price on XCOM if I was playing on a babby difficulty where I'd beat it the same day I bought it.

Disgruntled

Savant
5 reaching the second month.
I cant really tell the difficulty, only done the tutorial and 2 missions on commander-ironman so far. Been making a custom character pool rest of the time.

No annoying performance issues on my side with a hefty pc, only makes it run hot. Shooting through terrain is present right away so that one was allowed to slip right through QA, but id take it if all the higher priority bugs have been sorted.
Gameplay wise im gonna nitpick immediately on the lack of pistols for rookies and non-snipers. Maybe all the other skills take away their necessity later, but ive had instances where a quick 1hp pop off could have helped an ammo depleted squad. And then I knew coming in that we have no mechs and only 3 weapon tiers. Thats the nagging theme building in my head, theres a lot in this game but the glass is still a quarter empty. Anyone with godly patience would receive a mesmerizing experience once all the expansions and good mods are in.

But once I stop looking at the blank spots, vanilla should keep satisfied for a good hundred hours like the last game.

saltyshanty

Educated

More like a way to get some actual enjoyment out of the game, I would never spend retail price on XCOM if I was playing on a babby difficulty where I'd beat it the same day I bought it.

Yeah, I can't play without Ironman, even when it's frustrating; in EU/EW (and the original, in some ways), too much success early on ramps your capabilities up too quickly, and then you're steamrolling the later content, which is boring as fuck.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Allright, so this game definitely has performance problems with everything on.

Runs like shit on my high end machine with everything turned on, had to remove AA and SSAO/blur to make it 60 fps.

Hope for a fix soon

Zetor

Arcane
Getting xcom2's variation of a terror mission as my second one (after the tutorial) was fun times.

There seem to be a lot of fucked-up LOS issues, btw. I think my favorite so far was tossing a grenade into a room through the window with a sectoid standing right next to the window, collapsing walls and even the ceiling if I aimed right... but failing to hit the sectoid. A++!

(really enjoying the game, though, glitches and all)

Mustawd

Are we talking modifiers or what? I mean I'll be honest in that I haven't played this game and probably won't in the next 4 years until I catch up to my backlog. However, I routinely get annoyed with people who bitch about the RNG of gameplay.

I mean FFS, people seem to forget that anything below 100% chance is a risk of some sort. I blame the popamolization of the industry. I suggest anyone to play Halfway. Where you have 2 action points per character. And most of the time the best option is to use both AP on aiming for a higher chance of hitting; knowing that if you don't you are fucked without proper cover or support.

Zetor

Arcane
Well, when you're playing a "gamey" tactical game like XCOM (or Blood Bowl), you're essentially playing Risk Management Simulator 2016. You always need to keep guaranteed damage sources (grenades, combat protocol, and that "2 damage if you miss" stock upgrade) in reserve and ration their use to deal with RNG screw moments, and - in general - avoid any sort of situation where you depend on rolling dice to avoid losing teammates / failing the mission objective.

In that one Beaglerush example (Advent Officer #1), he actually had almost 2% chance of missing all of those ~70% shots... it's not that unlikely. Just like in d&d you always miss when you roll a 1 on a d20, no matter if you're a level 20 fighter with a +5 sword of murderizing. One could say you have a "95% chance to hit"...

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Well, when you're playing a "gamey" tactical game like XCOM (or Blood Bowl), you're essentially playing Risk Management Simulator 2016. You always need to keep guaranteed damage sources (grenades, combat protocol, and that "2 damage if you miss" stock upgrade) in reserve and ration their use to deal with RNG screw moments, and - in general - avoid any sort of situation where you depend on rolling dice to avoid losing teammates / failing the mission objective.

In that one Beaglerush example (Advent Officer #1), he actually had almost 2% chance of missing all of those ~70% shots... it's not that unlikely. Just like in d&d you always miss when you roll a 1 on a d20, no matter if you're a level 20 fighter with a +5 sword of murderizing. One could say you have a "95% chance to hit"...

I don't think that's something that needs explaining on Codex. I hope.

But you just can't translate it to some casuals, because most of population has an acute case of Gambler's fallacy.
wiki said:
The gambler's fallacy, also known as the Monte Carlo fallacy or the fallacy of the maturity of chances, is the mistaken belief that, if something happens more frequently than normal during some period, it will happen less frequently in the future, or that, if something happens less frequently than normal during some period, it will happen more frequently in the future (presumably as a means of balancing nature).
In situations where what is being observed is truly random (i.e., independent trials of a random process), this belief, though appealing to the human mind, is false. This fallacy can arise in many practical situations although it is most strongly associated with gambling where such mistakes are common among players.

Mustawd

Yeah, I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree and more just raging at that review. Ugh....

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

How are you guys selecting Ironman? I can't find an Ironman option anywhere, in new game difficulty selection or under options. Usually these things aren't hidden or its too late and I'm too tired to see the obvious.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The thing about RNG is, if you're ever in a situation where you play the entire mission, and then that one 95% shot is the difference between making it out alive and disaster, you already fucked up, no matter if you hit or miss. You should have had at least two shots, or a certain kill left over. Having to rely on a single shot, however high the odds, means you failed to ration all your options optimally and now you pay the price: a risk.

Fair.

Moink

Cipher
Game crashed on the second mission last night and now it won't open again.

Glad to know firaxis still haven't hired a QA department.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
How are you guys selecting Ironman? I can't find an Ironman option anywhere, in new game difficulty selection or under options. Usually these things aren't hidden or its too late and I'm too tired to see the obvious.

You have to disable tutorial first.

I tried that, it does it automatically when you select the highest difficulty. Where does it show up, in options after that?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
steam reviews have 476 positive vs 100 negative currently.

The negative ones are mostly about bugs and performance.

>ironman mode
>finally getting a foothold in the campaign
>start mission
>enemy falls through floor
>soundbugs everywhere
>enemy turn won't end despite reload

>oh yea huge fps drops on a gtx970

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Started playing, game seems like a slight reskin and graphics upgrade from the first game, but runs much worse. The stealth mode is worse than the power armour in Fallout 4, it's something that should require significant time and investment but you're given at the very start for free for some reason.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Cabxi_kWcAAj7_l.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
...The stealth mode is worse than the power armour in Fallout 4, it's something that should require significant time and investment but you're given at the very start for free for some reason.

Erm...what? :|

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
...The stealth mode is worse than the power armour in Fallout 4, it's something that should require significant time and investment but you're given at the very start for free for some reason.

Erm...what? :|

The stealth mode you get at the start of missions, when you can set up an easy ambush. It just seems like something that you should need to research further into the game, but instead it's given to you right at the beginning without any investment. Much like the power armour in Fallout 4, which you get for free almost immediately after leaving the vault.

Zetor

Arcane
You don't start in stealth for several mission types (VIP extraction, retaliation), plus stealth is way, way weaker than the on-demand invisibility your soldiers could have in vanilla XCOM EW (mimetic skin genemod).

XCOM2 stealth is good for positioning your dudes to gib one pod near the start of the mission. If you have a phantom-spec ranger and a squadsight sniper, you can use it to get the drop on a second pod as well, but applicability is a lot more limited there. Maybe if you can actually maintain stealth on the ranger (which means not attacking) you can open with a sniper shot on each pod, but that's nowhere near what you could do in EW with mimetic skin (or even with LW's severely nerfed version of it)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom