Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How about neither NuCom3 or Chimera Squad 2,because nobody needs these attempts at raping the UFO IP even more?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The ending of the game seems to hint at
Chimera Squad 2 and not Xcom 3
which is really depressing.
Iirc people interpreted both xcom1 and 2 to point at terror from the deep, so I wouldn't put too much faith in hints.

Frankly I just want to see Apoc done right. I doubt firaxis can make it happen, but a man can dream.
Pity that openApoc-mod project stalled.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game is so buggy, so Firaxis.
In addition to freeze bugs and some stupid shit in design now I ran into a terrible bug where game decided to erase all my gear on Claymore. And while I was able to return some of it by using console commands, it also decided to erase my Mastercrafted Shotguns research and now I only have Enhanced ones and no new research for Mastercraft... if anyone is thinking about playing this shit on Ironman.. don't. I am glad I didn't.

Mazisky

Magister
I am stuck at Sacred Spire final boss. There is a huge spike in difficulty which is very poorly balanced, anyone has suggestions? I straight up kill the boss and most of the room, but reinforcements are too much to handle considering what you had to fight before they arrive.

Also i turned off dialogues and the game feels much better

Empary

Scholar
Sprint and disable both generators in same turn, Gatekeeper might hit Sacred Coil, Acid/Poison/Slow their commander

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, to sum up the goodness you should expect, for those who didn't give in yet
  • 2 Action points retarded system (with some slight alterations, let's call them upgrades even)
  • No attributes, xp gain is mission based ...
  • Mobile tier skill tree (with some cool abilities, i give them that, there is probably one skilled non-retarded game designer on the team)
  • Dumbed down team, research and base management.
  • Some bugs or poorly designed features (for example, during breach, sometimes, you'll not switch to next char right away and as a result, you can't use his special ability or you click on a purple mission, cancel to head back to the map but the day is spent and the mission is gone)
  • Every character here is a black, rasta, alien, lesbian, beta male, with some combos for some of them. (it's tiring on the long run)
I have to admit having some aliens on board is a nice features but that's the only thing the game has going for him so i'm going to wait for patches and mods but i'm not very optimistic for the latter, who on his right mind would waste his time modding this ?

Thinking about it, the mods to come might be something to fear ...

Mazisky

Magister
Sprint and disable both generators in same turn, Gatekeeper might hit Sacred Coil, Acid/Poison/Slow their commander

Thank you, somehow I managed to do it because the Gatekeeper bugged out and panicked for no reason, being immoble for many turns. Thank you Firaxis, glad u helped

eXalted

Arcane
I just researched Mastercraft SMGs and apparently I'm not able to equip them. They just don't appear in the menus.

:prosper:

Zumbabul

Savant
This game is so buggy, so Firaxis.
In addition to freeze bugs and some stupid shit in design now I ran into a terrible bug where game decided to erase all my gear on Claymore. And while I was able to return some of it by using console commands, it also decided to erase my Mastercrafted Shotguns research and now I only have Enhanced ones and no new research for Mastercraft... if anyone is thinking about playing this shit on Ironman.. don't. I am glad I didn't.

Run into the same bug, but for torque. Erased all gear, and cannot equip anything. I'm playing on Ironman, so I guess my torque is dead).

jackofshadows

Magister
I caught funny bug when Zephyr was visually stuck in "ascended" form after acolyte lifted her and was killed by some random shit.

Also cute bug: if turn is over and you are controlling the last aliens - auto win :D
fP1falF.png
Run into the same bug, but for torque. Erased all gear, and cannot equip anything.
Yeah, I'm not touching ironman at this point, saw some similar shit too and the game crashes every 4-5 hours or so usually when alien reinforcement arriving.

eXalted

Arcane
What is Ironman in a game like this? You lose someone and the mission just restarts. It makes no sense in a game like this.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is Ironman in a game like this? You lose someone and the mission just restarts. It makes no sense in a game like this.
Chimera Squad has two tough guy settings:
"Ironman" means only one rolling autosave, where you can't take back moves or decisions, which does make sense and has a significant impact on gameplay. However if you lose a mission you can restart.
"Hardcore" is a separate tickbox where if you ever lose a single soldier, your save game is wiped.

I'm playing on Ironman but not Hardcore since I don't even understand how the game all works yet. Judging by some of these bug reports I may have to turn Ironman off too. :(

eXalted

Arcane
Ah, look at this sweet bug - https://streamable.com/wpih5t

This is not me, my characters can't equip Master class weapons as I wrote above. Not going to be playing late game on impossible with half-upgraded weapons, sorry. Game is going on the shelf until (if) fixed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Chimera Squad has two tough guy settings:
"Ironman" means only one rolling autosave, where you can't take back moves or decisions, which does make sense and has a significant impact on gameplay. However if you lose a mission you can restart.
"Hardcore" is a separate tickbox where if you ever lose a single soldier, your save game is wiped.

I'm playing on Ironman but not Hardcore since I don't even understand how the game all works yet. Judging by some of these bug reports I may have to turn Ironman off too. :(
Hardcore is not just losing soldiers, if you lose any mission for any reason it is game over which is stupid beyond words.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, to sum up the goodness you should expect, for those who didn't give in yet
And also I hope y'all like those infinite spawning enemies in turn-based games. If yes, then expect fun fun fun, lotta of fun.
Actually, Space Hulk, Invisible Inc and Incubation had infinite spawning enemies, and that worked quite well, especially in Incubation (in which you also had very limited resources).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope y'all like those infinite spawning enemies in turn-based games.
Nothing wrong with infinite spawns. If you ask me it's a lot better than "you have 5 turns to get the harmless briefcase. Uh oh! You cleared all enemies and got to the briefcase in 5 turns + 1/8 of a second, there's no way you can get it now"

Space Hulk, Invisible Inc and Incubation had infinite spawning enemies, and that worked quite well
You forgot Jagged Alliance :obviously:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, couldn't resist and got the game, and I got to say it's pretty fun. The cop feeling Zombra was talking about is there. Combat is fast and deadly, and I find the small tidbits you can read about the city interesting. Shame about the characters, the worst offender is probably the medic. I do find it tolerable though, I was expecting much worse writing.

I wonder if we get more insight into how it all came to be... Bradford is alive, not pleased that we teamed up with the aliens apparently, but I have not come across that much background lore unfortunately so far. It does seem Xcom have expanded from a "fighting force" to something that governs. Or at least I get that impression.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Space Hulk, Invisible Inc and Incubation had infinite spawning enemies, and that worked quite well
You forgot Jagged Alliance :obviously:

You forgot Blackguards 2.
A clear case when infinite spawns are used instead of time limits - you have to either find a way to avoid fighting all the extra enemies or complete the objective before they swarm you.

Empary

Scholar
Unit cringe list (from my finished playthrough)

Tier S - 0% cringe
Patchwork

Tier A
Blueblood
Verge

Tier B
Claymore
Axiom

Tier C
Torque

Tier D - CRINGE!
Terminal
Cherub

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hardcore is not just losing soldiers, if you lose any mission for any reason it is game over which is stupid beyond words.
Sounds like someone wanted to be a tough guy but couldn't hack it.

I have to agree with him, in a war, you're going to loose battles, but if you manage to limit your losses, you can win the war, it's way more hardcore to continue to play with your losses rather than reload, original UFO style.

You forgot Blackguards 2.
A clear case when infinite spawns are used instead of time limits - you have to either find a way to avoid fighting all the extra enemies or complete the objective before they swarm you.

Infinite spawns were well "balanced" in Incubation (i know the word has lost his meaning but it meant something back then).
In Blackguards, it didn't happen on every mission, which made it fun when it did.

In Chimera, first time was fun, second time was dangerous (and fun) but then it's just tiring, this and the breach mode, which is fun at first but gets old, as i predicted.

Still, if it was the only issues the game had, we wouldn't even have this conversation, would we ?

UFO-ext-gold.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom