Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

lightbane

Arcane
It doesn't help that the game looks like propaganda made by ADVENT, IS actually propaganda (from the woke brigade), and is pretty much pro-authoritarian. Of course, it is failing because if you go woke, you end broke. That's an absolute rule.
No idea if there are good mods to make it worthwhile.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It doesn't help that the game looks like propaganda made by ADVENT, IS actually propaganda (from the woke brigade), and is pretty much pro-authoritarian. Of course, it is failing because if you go woke, you end broke. That's an absolute rule.
No idea if there are good mods to make it worthwhile.

I'm pretty sure every fucking mod will add pink and green danger hair and higher res. or romance options.

Codex Year of the Donut
Chimera Squad being ADVENT propaganda would have been hilarious and extremely well thought out so it's obvious that it's not.

Mazisky

Magister
https://boards.greenhouse.io/firaxis/jobs/4397489003

• Experience with character customization systems is a plus.
  • Strong creature creation experience or focus is a plus.
  • Experience with next generation hair creation (such as Fibermesh or Xgen) a plus.
  • Unreal Engine experience is a plus.

You might say XCOM 3 was always a given. Personally, I was not so sure after 2's lower than expected sales performance (IIRC, that is) and Chimera Squad's somewhat warm reception.

Sales weren't low at all.

It sold 500k on the release week only and since then 4 years have passed so it should be quite some millions now.

Also there are some 2k financial reports in different periods ( I read a lot of this corporate stuff) that say the biggest revenue from digital sales were from Gta V, NBa2k and Xcom 2.

Some other data I've read in the past (but I can't remember the source) said it was head to head with the lastest Total war games which were big sellers.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
https://boards.greenhouse.io/firaxis/jobs/4397489003

• Experience with character customization systems is a plus.
  • Strong creature creation experience or focus is a plus.
  • Experience with next generation hair creation (such as Fibermesh or Xgen) a plus.
  • Unreal Engine experience is a plus.

You might say XCOM 3 was always a given. Personally, I was not so sure after 2's lower than expected sales performance (IIRC, that is) and Chimera Squad's somewhat warm reception.

Sales weren't low at all.

It sold 500k on the release week only and since then 4 years have passed so it should be quite some millions now.

Also there are some 2k financial reports in different periods ( I read a lot of this corporate stuff) that say the biggest revenue from digital sales were from Gta V, NBa2k and Xcom 2.

Some other data I've read in the past (but I can't remember the source) said it was head to head with the lastest Total war games which were big sellers.

Good to hear. Always had the impression 2 underperformed in comparison to Enemy Unknown.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having never finished the game due to the "can't equip weapons" bug, enough time passed that I was ready for a fresh playthrough from beginning to end. Although the weapon bug patch didn't work on my old save game back in the day, I thought maybe a new game wouldn't have the problem. So I started a new ironman game and after about 10 missions I get a catastrophic game freeze on the enemy turn. Reloading the autosave loads the game just before the enemy does the thing that causes the freeze, exactly the same every time. Fucked again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Having never finished the game due to the "can't equip weapons" bug, enough time passed that I was ready for a fresh playthrough from beginning to end. Although the weapon bug patch didn't work on my old save game back in the day, I thought maybe a new game wouldn't have the problem. So I started a new ironman game and after about 10 missions I get a catastrophic game freeze on the enemy turn. Reloading the autosave loads the game just before the enemy does the thing that causes the freeze, exactly the same every time. Fucked again.
Firaxis are as good at producing super buggy games as best of them.

Codex Year of the Donut
the game is good despite complaints from angry white men about underrepresentation,
who the hell is complaining about that?
we're complaining about playing with xenos in a fucking xcom game

this is like a doom game being made where you play as the monsters

And the game doesn't even bother to delve into any of the societal issues attempting to live with aliens would cause after the earth was invaded/conquered. It would require an extremely authoritarian government cracking down on all forms of dissent.
The timeline is just ridiculous, most adults alive would have been alive during the attempted genocide of humans.

There was material here to make an insightful commentary, or even go the route of ADVENT propaganda if they were bold enough. But they did neither, they just went with reddit-tier jokes painted over with a rick & morty paintbrush. The game feels like an insult to fans of xcom. Good news for them though, because they can deflect any blame of them being shit at their job with "angry white males are mad!"

Last edited:

Zumbabul

Savant
When I played this game, there was a mod that turns off voice-over and all story text. With this mod the game is so much better.

Lemming42

Arcane
And the game doesn't even bother to delve into any of the societal issues attempting to live with aliens would cause after the earth was invaded/conquered. It would require an extremely authoritarian government cracking down on all forms of dissent.

That's essentially what the game's about, as far as I remember. Every single district of the city has a "heat" meter that goes apeshit five seconds in, and then your squad is being deployed left right and centre to beat the shit out of anyone and anything trying to start trouble. Half the game is about you kicking in people's doors and shooting them at point-blank before they've even had a chance to react.

One thing that I like is that you spend as much time fighting alien separatists as you do human separatists. Virtually nobody is happy with the integration of aliens into society. Even your squadmates occasionally start shit with each other.

You're right about the annoying reddit-y tone the game has, but it didn't bother me that much. nu-XCOM never felt like it had a particularly strong style and tone to it IMO, so the switch to this more lighthearted, Futurama/Rick and Morty shit doesn't feel like blasphemy or anything to me. It's just listening to a few bad unfunny jokes between missions. I also didn't find the player characters as annoying as everyone else seems to, they're just archetypal stock characters who don't leave much of an impression.

I've only played the game through once, back when it was released, so if I'm missing anything obvious then forgive me.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
The game is not bad on its own and it is quite fun, it's just not comparable to a full Xcom game.

It is more like Gwent compared to The Witcher, a cool side thing but not a replacement or sequel by any means.

I also gave up after 10 hours because it's too repetitive and it's clearly longer than it should be considered its small scale.

The ost is really great tho.

jackofshadows

Magister
But that's an awful comparison. Chimera lacks strategic component but the core gameplay is the same. Unless you mean plot/narrative which would be even more strange.

To me, it's simple: gameplay wise it's very good and fun. Otherwise it's cringe and shit. Thankfully, the former is what matters the most here.

Mazisky

Magister
But that's an awful comparison. Chimera lacks strategic component but the core gameplay is the same. Unless you mean plot/narrative which would be even more strange.

To me, it's simple: gameplay wise it's very good and fun. Otherwise it's cringe and shit. Thankfully, the former is what matters the most here.

The core gameplay is not the same at all.

Xcom has a strategic layer which is half of the gameplay. Chimera however has no base buidling, no character customization and all you have outside battles is "click on the next mission" and cringy dialogues.

Xcom tactical battles have exploration and combat, large maps with different environments (cities, forests, deserts, etc.), procedural generation.

Chimera has single small rooms and no exploration, no procedural generation.

Xcom requires you to build different teams and the combinations are pretty wide, Chimera has the same fixed indian\african characters.

If you don't like the Gwent comparison that's fine, I have another one for you that fits better:

Xcom is Heroes Might and Magic, Chimera is Windows Chess. Core gameplay is the same>move 1 dude then the enemy does the same.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
who the hell is complaining about that?
we're complaining about playing with xenos in a fucking xcom game

this is like a doom game being made where you play as the monsters

The timeline is just ridiculous, most adults alive would have been alive during the attempted genocide of humans.

There was material here to make an insightful commentary, or even go the route of ADVENT propaganda if they were bold enough. But they did neither, they just went with reddit-tier jokes painted over with a rick & morty paintbrush. The game feels like an insult to fans of xcom. Good news for them though, because they can deflect any blame of them being shit at their job with "angry white males are mad!"

I don't mind having alien teammates.

That's all the rest that's problematic.
A mod skipping all the cut-scenes altogether would make it better already but the core gameplay is boring really fast anyway.

The core gameplay is not the same at all.

Xcom has a strategic layer which is half of the gameplay. Chimera however has no base buidling, no character customization and all you have outside battles is "click on the next mission" and cringy dialogues.

Xcom tactical battles have exploration and combat, large maps with different environments (cities, forests, deserts, etc.), procedural generation.

Chimera has single small rooms and no exploration, no procedural generation.

Xcom requires you to build different teams and the combinations are pretty wide, Chimera has the same fixed indian\african characters.

Even if XCOM is the one (and only?) game that made procedural generation right, that's not the feature i'm missing, most encounter design is quite good from what i remember, not having completed the game.
And of course, good encounter design > procedural generation anything.
But the game doesn't benefit from it because of the small battlefields and the repetitive action.
So, UFO combat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chimera.

If you gave a monkey a brush and some paint to reproduce The Mona Lisa, it would be the equivalent of what these morrons made of the original UFO.

Still, all of the other points are very valid, combat in Chimera is claustrophobic, i suspect its engine wouldn't be able to sustain the original UFO battlescape sizes.
Something in between would have been great though, i don't mind some small battle-scapes but too many turn a great concept into a JRPG hybrid.

It's a big failure if you ask me but with some good ideas drowned into retarded features and story with dumbed down mechanism all over the place.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Might give this another run-through, I remember really liking it overall (though I'm too lazy to scroll up and see if my posts in the thread confirm that). I think there's a place for this kind of thing - a very distilled variant of XCOM, good to play while you listen to podcasts or music or whatever the fuck it is people do these days.

Mazisky

Magister
I really loved Xcom 2 but for me Firaxis declined into a barrel of diarrhea after Chimera and Marvel

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom