Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

jackofshadows

Magister
Lemming42 On which difficulties were you playing nuXCOM1-2 and Chimera?

Breaching system is the best Chimera's feature imo, what's wrong with it?

Lemming42

Arcane
Normal/"Veteran" difficulty for all, as far as I remember.

I mentioned my problems with the breaching system in another thread:
Am I even more of a retard than I thought, or is Chimera Squad's breach mechanic completely insane? I can't see how it passed the idea stage - you can't see who's in the room before you enter so it's literally just random chance whether you get fucked or not, and the area behind you becomes suddenly magically inaccessible after the breach, usually confining the whole team to a small balcony or behind a single wall where they instantly get clusterfucked by any enemy with an area of effect attack.

Plus there's no way to know the optimal order to send your team in - for example I take Godmother on every mission but half the time she ends up facing an enemy at the other side of the room where her shotgun does jack shit, while any dickhead with a long-range assault rifle inevitably breaches directly in front of an enemy.

It's also stupid that you're essentially forced to fire or just run for cover. No using psionic abilities which would obviously be best applied immediately as the encounter starts, such as Battle Rage. All the breach-exclusive abilities suck balls. Levitation and Poison Spit, wow, great.

jackofshadows

Magister
Am I even more of a retard than I thought, or is Chimera Squad's breach mechanic completely insane? I can't see how it passed the idea stage - you can't see who's in the room before you enter so it's literally just random chance whether you get fucked or not, and the area behind you becomes suddenly magically inaccessible after the breach, usually confining the whole team to a small balcony or behind a single wall where they instantly get clusterfucked by any enemy with an area of effect attack.

Plus there's no way to know the optimal order to send your team in - for example I take Godmother on every mission but half the time she ends up facing an enemy at the other side of the room where her shotgun does jack shit, while any dickhead with a long-range assault rifle inevitably breaches directly in front of an enemy.

It's also stupid that you're essentially forced to fire or just run for cover. No using psionic abilities which would obviously be best applied immediately as the encounter starts, such as Battle Rage. All the breach-exclusive abilities suck balls. Levitation and Poison Spit, wow, great.
I'd say the opposite: on paper the fact that 'special forces' having only vague information about opponents looks silly but in practice it was a fun game of adaptation to me, where I had to plan a chain of actions with %on every step and considering consequences as more/less dangerous enemies I want to deal later on, also how much incoming damage I can afford to take... As for order and positioning it was not hard at all since for the most times it was same order anyway ('control' guys like Patchwork/Verge etc are first, supports usually last) and going together as 4 also was a good idea most of the times.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, I do like the split-second decision making you have to do in deciding who to target during the breach. I just don't like how the game seems to place your squad randomly after that, and sometimes boxes you into a ridiculously small area. The worst mission was one where the entire squad was stuck on a small catwalk in a room full of enemies who almost all had overwatch activated, and vipers with poison area-of-effect attacks got to fire at my squad before I had any chance to move them from the stupid starting position.

eXalted

Arcane
dgp6qdfieyz41.png

Luka-boy

Arcane
Troubleshooter is indeed a strong candidate for my GOTY so far.

Anyway, patch notes:
Today's patch includes fixes for the following issues:

Performance
  • Improved stability/performance while loading.
  • Improved stability in Tactical.

Tactical
  • Fixed a bug that could cause units to sometimes float above the ground.
  • Fixed a bug allowing conflicting modifiers on breach points.
  • Fixed a bug causing breach items to display incorrect usage text.
  • Fixed a bug allowing Psi-Zombies to attack from too far away.
  • Fixed a bug causing Shrapnel Grenade targeting to display incorrectly.
  • Fixed a bug causing an inaccurate Encounter count in multi-map missions.
  • Fixed a bug allowing a Sectopod to spawn too early in the Gray Phoenix Takedown.
  • Fixed a bug that could allow Patchwork to take infinite actions.
  • Fixed a bug preventing hit/miss VO from playing.
  • Fixed a bug that could prevent Cherub from moving.
  • Rebalanced the Sacred Coil Takedown and fixed a Gatekeeper bug during the Takedown.

Strategy
  • Fixed a bug that could cause equipment to disappear from the Armory.
  • Fixed a bug preventing Scavenger Market NPCs from showing up.
  • Rebalanced Mach Weave.

Miscellaneous
  • Fixed a bug causing the end-of-game stats to disappear on lower resolutions.
  • Fixed a bug causing game audio to end before game credits.
  • Updated the audio listings in the game credits.

Launcher Update
  • We have released a new update for the 2K Launcher today. The update should download automatically; if you are having trouble, restart your Steam client and it should download automatically.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lemming42 On which difficulties were you playing nuXCOM1-2 and Chimera?

Breaching system is the best Chimera's feature imo, what's wrong with it?

It's a gimmick that makes very little difference to the meat of the gameplay? If you could shoot and position, it would be both exciting and meaningful (team breaches, makes quick assessment under pressure, fires and positions), but as it is, it's just a gewgaw.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...ghter_and_more_focused_with_Chimera_Squad.php

Q&A: Making XCOM tighter and more focused with Chimera Squad

Last month Firaxis Games surprised many by announcing and releasing XCOM: Chimera Squad, a standalone XCOM game that foregoes the series' penchant for blank-slate recruits fighting open battles against alien invaders.

Instead, Chimera Squad is tighter and more personal. Firaxis designed 11 unique characters players can choose from to build out their squad, and when you pick four of them to send on a mission, that mission typically spans 1-3 turn-based tactical combat encounters playing out across maps much smaller than those in previous XCOM games.

Notably, XCOM: Chimera Squad also handles turn order in combat differently than its predecessors. In previous XCOM games the player would move all their units, then the enemy would move theirs; in Chimera Squad, turns are interleaved such that each combatant has their own individual turn, with the turn order displayed so that players can see which enemies and Chimera Squaddies are going to act when.

Alongside interleaved turns Chimera Squad introduces a whole host of tactical abilities previously unavailable to XCOM players, both in the form of XCOM alien abilities (which are now accessible thanks to Chimera Squad's non-human members) and new abilities which specifically mess with units' place in the turn order.

Taken together, all these changes make Chimera Squad a significant departure from prior XCOM games, which is why the game debuted last month with a $20 price tag (instead of the usual $60 prior XCOM games launched at) and a 50 percent off launch discount.

To find out more about how players are responding to the game, and what inspired Firaxis to introduce so many significant changes, Gamasutra recently chatted a bit (via email) with XCOM: Chimera Squad lead designer Mark Nauta.

Nauta previously worked as a designer on 2016's XCOM 2 and its well-received 2017 War of the Chosen expansion pack. Here, he explains some of the reasoning behind Chimera Squad's big changes and contextualizes them against the rest of the XCOM franchise.

Can you walk us through the move to interleaved turns? What inspired you to go in that direction, and what specific challenges did you face?

When you’re a game designer, you’re always thinking: “What would happen if I changed this thing?”

With a strategy game, even a small change can have big ripples through the system and because this is a standalone game, we have a bit more flexibility in how people view and play it. We wanted to try out new ideas in the XCOM formula. Interleaved turns give you a lot of new and adaptive tactical options.

You can make on-the-fly strategic decisions based on who is coming up next in the timeline. Should you ignore weaker enemies that are coming up soon in the timeline and focus fire on a dangerous enemy who won’t act until later? Will you use your Team Up ability to move an agent away from a exploding vehicle now, or save it for later? The timeline shows *when* enemies will act, but not *what* they will do, forcing you to think on your feet when a grenade lands next to your healer or a chryssalid takes a bite out of your Psion.

These new decisions, paired with having combat broken up into Encounters separated by Breach Modes, means combat is a lot tighter and focused.

Interleaved turns, plus the increased access to (and Intel incentive to use) non-lethal takedown options, make Chimera Squad the first XCOM game I know of in which players can roleplay "Good (X)Cops" -- completing missions without letting the enemy get a shot off, and subduing them all non-lethally. Was this intentional, and regardless, is it a theme/direction you want to continue to explore in future games?

I do think it’s important to acknowledge that Chimera Squad aren’t police – they’re a special forces unit called in by the actual police of City 31 to handle the threats posed by each of the factions in the game. With XCOM: Chimera Squad, we weren’t setting out to design a game where non-lethal play was the priority, but we did want to include those options when available as it made sense narratively and in the game’s tactical combat.

ss_cdfbe0e462e9bb0c5ab831e49a07ab91928c1624_1920x1080.jpg

Narratively, you’re investigating each of the factions so you’d want to capture some enemies to draw intel from. For gameplay, we wanted to create a risk-reward situation where you could get a higher chance of gaining intel but would risk doing generally less damage or having to force your units to enter very close range to your enemies.
Fair enough! Why go with unique characters this time, instead of customizable recruits? How did this decision impact the production process?

The decision to go with unique agents was in some ways an evolution on some of the choices we made in the War of the Chosen expansion for XCOM 2, where you had specific characters and personalities in the Chosen, Elena Dragunova and Pratal Mox.

With XCOM: Chimera Squad, our story is set five years after the defeat of the Elders – which meant that many formerly mind-controlled aliens now find themselves in an unfamiliar world and must figure out what they’re going to do, how they’re going to live. We wanted to explore the concept of a new world being shared between humans, hybrids, and aliens, and that set the stage for introducing agents, who exemplify parts of the conflict.

ss_adcd8271e4e9f57dacde44c138330dec5a3f3df3_1920x1080.jpg

Of course, the decision to shift to agents also meant big changes for tactical combat. In some ways, we now have 11 unique classes because no agents share skills with each other.

One of the most fun parts of developing XCOM: Chimera Squad was that because you have aliens and hybrids on your team, you can now use those alien abilities like Verge’s Mind Control or Torque’s Tongue Pull for your own benefit. Finding the synergy between squad mates, ways to set each other up, reposition and combine powers is a key part of the strategy for XCOM: Chimera Squad.

Can you share a concrete example that might help our game designer readers understand the way you had to change your thinking when moving from customizable XCOM squaddies to distinct agent characters? Was there a specific role you felt got diluted or lost, for example, or were there alien abilities from prior XCOM games that just didn't fit quite right in Chimera Squad?

The introduction of distinct Agents and the switch to interleaved rurns are interconnected. If we had interleaved turns but our units didn’t have unique abilities and playstyles, I think each turn would have ended up being much less interesting.

A big focus for us in designing the agents was making sure that each of them had something they could do each and every turn besides taking a standard shot action. Plus, that other ability had to be awesome because it is always competing against just shooting the enemy! Having unique agents also unlocks some fun gameplay in deciding how to build your squad with different character synergies and combos.

ss_85c538c08dbc74a109dd13f47e14a9678146b1e2_1920x1080.jpg

No combat roles were really lost in the switch over as we had 11 XCOM classes effectively with our new agents. Arguably, the Sniper class was lost as it didn’t make as much sense to include with our much more confined gameplay spaces, but the gameplay of high damage, precision shooting is still available through characters like Blueblood.

Overwatch and large AOE abilities were toned down in importance for Chimera Squad as they became much more oppressive with interleaved turns, because there is not always a teammate there to bail you out of the tough situations those abilities create.

How did the shift to smaller, more intimate encounters change your approach to combat design, and why make that shift away from the larger battlefields of XCOM and XCOM 2?

XCOM: Chimera Squad is entirely set in City 31 – an urban setting – meaning the tactical battlefields also needed to shift from expansive, open country areas to more contained ones, like warehouses, office spaces, etc.

ss_05da9ecfa48f79eaf04f1efa02043130c81d2b52_1920x1080.jpg

The design of the battlefields also further amped up the intensity of the new combat modes. Breach mode in XCOM: Chimera Squad is an evolution of the Ambush mechanics from previous games. Unit order, unit choice, and entry point give you new tactical choices, and executing a successful Breach can really set Chimera Squad up for success.

We found that breaking up Missions into smaller Encounters – each separated by a Breach – created a really interesting, intense experience that rewards smart decisions. How do you best set up the upcoming Encounter for your squad? If you know you have three Encounters to complete to beat the mission, do you use all your expendable resources like grenades and medkits early on, or do you save them for the second or third Encounter?

It’s been really fun to see what strategies everyone comes up with.

Finally, how has the reception been to Chimera Squad and the changes it introduces to the XCOM design mold? What do you expect to take away from this game and apply to future XCOM games?

We’ve been floored with the reaction to XCOM: Chimera Squad! We knew that many of the changes being introduced in the game are very different from what franchise veterans are used to. It was important to us that our players understood why we made these changes and how things like agents, interleaved turns and Breach Mode could introduce interesting new gameplay opportunities that you couldn’t experience in any previous XCOM title.

ss_a7d8575bebe935589127a50828a83dfbd9585787_1920x1080.jpg

As this was my first time as lead designer on an XCOM game, it was particularly gratifying to see players say that Chimera Squad still feels like an XCOM game at its core.

My takeaway from the response to the game is that so long as we continue to retain the core XCOM spirit, there is tremendous opportunity and variety in what an XCOM game can be. As a designer, I love having the flexibility to try new things, and it’s exciting to know we have such a supportive audience always pushing us to make great games!

Lemming42

Arcane
Need to completely retract my previous claims about this game's difficulty. I think what happened is I started with Sacred Coil, who appear to have the toughest enemies and hardest encounters. I've played the game essentially in reverse and it's gotten progressively easier. Now I have all the equipment upgrades and an expert team, and I'm fighting the humans. They're weak as fuck and are getting consistently wiped out in the first two rounds without ever scoring a hit on my squad.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
https://boards.greenhouse.io/firaxis/jobs/4397489003

• Experience with character customization systems is a plus.
  • Strong creature creation experience or focus is a plus.
  • Experience with next generation hair creation (such as Fibermesh or Xgen) a plus.
  • Unreal Engine experience is a plus.

You might say XCOM 3 was always a given. Personally, I was not so sure after 2's lower than expected sales performance (IIRC, that is) and Chimera Squad's somewhat warm reception.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

• Experience with next generation hair creation (such as Fibermesh or Xgen) a plus.

You might say XCOM 3 was always a given. Personally, I was not so sure after 2's lower than expected sales performance (IIRC, that is) and Chimera Squad's somewhat warm reception.
Chimera Squad had a lukewarm reception actually, and is almost absent from XCOM reddit's community. I really doubt it.
It sold less than XCOM 2, at 20% of its price.

Codex Year of the Donut

Chimera Squad had a lukewarm reception actually, and is almost absent from XCOM reddit's community. I really doubt it.
It sold less than XCOM 2, at 20% of its price.
xenos are for killing, not for allying

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom