Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite standalone RPG

Your favourite standalone role-playing RPG game (pick three)

• Total voters

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Weird poll; there are like hundreds of standalone RPGs...
This. A hundred times this so to speak.

However if the author really wants poll like this then making some pre-elimination phase should be considered.

Here, a few crpg known and liked on Codex - by those who know them. Afaik they are all single titles without andy sequels:

- Wizards and Warriors
- Nethergate (the only Vogel's game that isn't serialized, and no, Ressurection isn't a sequel, just a remake with slight changes)
- Periphelion (Amiga game)
- Shadowrun (Sega Genesis one, a console game but this a 100% western rpg and standalone - since you already have game based on existing franchises like ToEE)
- If you have Nox why not hack & slash diablo3-clone type, like Titan Quest?
- Some RLs that are very crpg-ish like Cataclysm (DDA or BN, question if forks can be considered completely separate titles)
- and much more

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I EXPLAINED IT ALL IN THE FIRST POST

DO YOU WANT TITAN QUEST??? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?? TITAN QUEST IS YOUR FAVOURITE STANDALONE RPG??? SHALL I ADD IT???
At least one third of the titles already on list will have votes from one or two people. Wizards and Warriors is twice as known and liked as some of the games you mentioned. Nethergate is the only Vogel's game that qualify and possibly his best game. And the guy was liked for his older titles. Do you really believe many people other than octavius will vote for Disciples of Steel or Aethra Chronicles? Think again. When we are at it - Dark Heart of Ukruul? This might be a great game but people who played it on the Codex can be counted on fingers of a drunkard lumberjack. And you think mines are worse?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I EXPLAINED IT ALL IN THE FIRST POST

DO YOU WANT TITAN QUEST??? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?? TITAN QUEST IS YOUR FAVOURITE STANDALONE RPG??? SHALL I ADD IT???
Titan Quest has a sequel in the works :M
So has Darklans. I am, from time to time, thinking about how i would make Darklands 2. Call it pre-production phase. :smug:

Lemming42

Arcane
And you think mines are worse?
I'm not making value judgments about the things you listed, I'm just asking if you actually want them!

From the OP:
I've put the ones I think people might actually vote for on there. Obviously the poll can't be a comprehensive list of all standalone RPGs ever made, because it'd go on forever, so if you want something added and will vote for it, tag me and nag at me until I see your post. Please don't be like "you left out 1999's Darkstone, you dumb fuck" and then leave it at zero votes when I acquiesce and add it.
I'm adding Titan Quest. If it languishes with zero votes at the bottom of the poll then I will self-eject from the Codex.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
And you think mines are worse?
I'm not making value judgments about the things you listed, I'm just asking if you actually want them!

From the OP:
I've put the ones I think people might actually vote for on there. Obviously the poll can't be a comprehensive list of all standalone RPGs ever made, because it'd go on forever, so if you want something added and will vote for it, tag me and nag at me until I see your post. Please don't be like "you left out 1999's Darkstone, you dumb fuck" and then leave it at zero votes when I acquiesce and add it.
I'm adding Titan Quest. If it languishes with zero votes at the bottom of the poll then I will self-eject from the Codex.
Then don't add Titan Quest. That was just a consideration not some must-have.
Some of the game you add will receive VERY small amount of votes. Some of the ones you don't could have better results. You make the most basic error of any statistic research - you assume to be all-knowing and what possible results will be - by that you create those results. And yes - that's you, it's your poll. In other word - preconceptions.

Lemming42

Arcane
You make the most basic error of any statistic research - you assume to be all-knowing and what possible the results will be - by that you create those results. In other word - preconceptions.
Aha, well, you have made two errors. Firstly, you've suggested I'm not all-knowing, when I actually am. Secondly, the point of this highly formal, professional, empirical poll, as outlined in the OP, is that if people genuinely want to vote for a specific little-known game, then I'll add it. That way we can get a list of people's favourite games, each of which has been actually nominated and voted for by at least one person, as opposed to a list of every RPG ever made, two thirds of which would have zero votes.

I started out by putting down all the ones I thought people had a chance of voting for (all of which have at least two votes, barring joke option Tyranny), if people have a favourite game that isn't already on the poll they can say:
"Hey Lemming42 - great thread as always, mate! I was just politely wondering if I might courteously request that you add the Gameboy Color classic 'Quest for Camelot'? Have a great day, you're my favourite poster! Also, PM me your PayPal details so I can send you ÂŁ50 to show my appreciation for the superb, efficient way in which you conduct polls," and then I'd add it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When we are at it - Dark Heart of Ukruul? This might be a great game but people who played it on the Codex can be counted on fingers of a drunkard lumberjack.
The Dark Heart of Uukrul has 6 votes. :smug:

PS: Hey Lemming42 - great thread as always, mate! Have a great day, you're my favourite poster!

Zlaja

Arcane
I'm adding Titan Quest. If it languishes with zero votes at the bottom of the poll then I will self-eject from the Codex

After voting for Arcanum and KCD, I didn't feel like adding another vote, UNTIL I saw this message, and sense I do love me some TQ, I ended up giving it my final vote. And YOU get to live another day. :salute:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Arcanum is the best RPG of all time so yes.
yes, lets count journey to the centre of arcanum as failed sequel and exlude it from this list. Lemming42 do the thing
There's no option to remove entries from the poll. We're stuck with them! We're stuck with Disciples of Steel!
Infinitron do the thing, you always wanted to remove arcanum from various lists of bestest rpg!

If Torment is on the list then VTM Bloodlines should be on the list too.
its impossible to count number of vtm sequels though. Good thing that ive pinged infi already, he just might got the number!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How can you do a poll for this?

Also you can remove poll entries, by deleting their label.

Shaki

Arbiter
Disco shitlysium not even in the top 5, uplifting news. Maybe Codex can come back from the abyss of decline yet

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Arcanum is the best RPG of all time so yes.
yes, lets count journey to the centre of arcanum as failed sequel and exlude it from this list. Lemming42 do the thing
There's no option to remove entries from the poll. We're stuck with them! We're stuck with Disciples of Steel!
Infinitron do the thing, you always wanted to remove arcanum from various lists of bestest rpg!

If Torment is on the list then VTM Bloodlines should be on the list too.
its impossible to count number of vtm sequels though. Good thing that ive pinged infi already, he just might got the number!
Right now there are 0 sequels to Bloodlines in particular. There are other games in the VTM setting but it makes no sense to count them given that TOEE is there.

Covenant

Savant
I vote for Stonekeep, I don't care if it's not on the poll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom