Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 9 games [(-2023 EDITION-)]

Ash

Arcane
Both good games! A little compromised, yes, but we're talking post-2010. The pickings are slim. I already posted my true top 9 prior. Criticize that one.

Please, be my guest bitch boy. Hit the ignore.

Last edited:
The modder vs the alcoholic... It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN...

We are headed for Venus! And still we stand tall... Cause maybe they've seen us... and modded in alcohol...

Ash

Arcane
I'd rather have drinks with SomeDumbGuy than the Witcher 3/Cyberpunk2077/Nu Zelda fanboi :smug:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Both good games! A little compromised, yes, but we're talking post-2010. The pickings are slim. I already posted my true top 9 prior. Criticize that one.

Please, be my guest bitch boy. Hit the ignore.
So a two-faced poser then. A fraud. Your "favorite games" depend entirely upon who you're interacting with. You're not a real person. You have no opinions of your own making. This is the most damning post I've seen in a while, but you sure made me look down on ya. That's a special feat, good job.

Nah I wont ignore ya.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Making a grid looks like work. I'm not doing that. Ordering the list is also work so I'm also not doing that.

Resident Evil Remake
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Bloodborne
Diablo
Silent Hill 3
Dino Crisis 2
Diablo 2
Twisted Metal 2

I spent about 1 minute thinking that up so probably not very accurate. Twisted Metal 2 is an iffy one because I doubt I could ever go back to that and have fun with it. Just a pure nostalgia choice.

I'm officially replacing Twisted Metal 2 with Furi. Furi is legit.

Elthosian

Arcane
BgxgHKz.png

Hatchet job sticking the covers together, I can't be arsed to do better :happytrollboy:
Also, I'm cheating by putting Warcraft 2 together with the expansion.

I don't know the general opinion of Nioh but damn it's a nice co-op experience.
Making a grid looks like work. I'm not doing that. Ordering the list is also work so I'm also not doing that.

Resident Evil Remake
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Bloodborne
Diablo
Silent Hill 3
Dino Crisis 2
Diablo 2
Twisted Metal 2

I spent about 1 minute thinking that up so probably not very accurate. Twisted Metal 2 is an iffy one because I doubt I could ever go back to that and have fun with it. Just a pure nostalgia choice.

I'm officially replacing Twisted Metal 2 with Furi. Furi is legit.
Don’t tempt me, I still have it installed.

Darkwood perhaps shouldn't be there, maybe, but it's my favorite indie game at this current point in time.
Also Doom should perhaps be there instead of Duke 3D. Fucking impossible to decide. So many games I wanted to list.
Maybe one day I will resurrect my top 100 list.

Can't have Arx Fatalis but not Ultima Underworld. I like Arx Fatalix, but everything in it, Ultima Underworld didn't just inspire, it did a lot better.

Thief games are overrated here. It's not that they aren't good, but they are not as great as the hivemind would have you believe. This is coming from someone who played them when they originally came out.

I’m not even debating the Thief games being the greatest games ever. I’m just specifically pointing to the bit where New Vegas is somehow a better pick than Thief 2.

Thief games might be better at what they do than New Vegas, but New Vegas is an open world RPG, which puts it much higher than a stealing/sneaking oriented stealth game. There is a reason why stealth games are relatively few in number, sneaking around and stealing stuff is not as fun for most people as fighting, getting better gear, participating in dialogue, exploring, and everything else that a fully fledged RPG offers.

Stealth games on average probably do better than most RPGs, especially when RPGs were still truly RPGs as opposed to action games with skill trees or something.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the best selling “RPGs” of the 21st century and it’s largely just a stealth game with a few unrelated side activities.

Uhh, I completed Cyberpunk without using any stealth. It's an RPG, with multiple ways to play it. And dialogue. And driving. And a bunch of other stuff that Thief doesn't have.

Thief games are overrated here. It's not that they aren't good, but they are not as great as the hivemind would have you believe. This is coming from someone who played them when they originally came out.

I’m not even debating the Thief games being the greatest games ever. I’m just specifically pointing to the bit where New Vegas is somehow a better pick than Thief 2.

Thief games might be better at what they do than New Vegas, but New Vegas is an open world RPG, which puts it much higher than a stealing/sneaking oriented stealth game. There is a reason why stealth games are relatively few in number, sneaking around and stealing stuff is not as fun for most people as fighting, getting better gear, participating in dialogue, exploring, and everything else that a fully fledged RPG offers.

New Vegas is an open-world RPG whose only above average elements are plot/dialogue and C&C. Combat sucks and level design is mediocre. Exploration is serviceable but far from the best we've seen in the genre.

Thief not only has superb stealth mechanics, it also has some of the best designed levels in the history of gaming. They're so good that if you took them and copypasted the most barebones RPG character progression system you can imagine on top of it, it would win the Codex RPG of the year contest by a huge margin. Yet, it doesn't really need that, the variety of tools and approaches for doing stealth alone are already more than enough to feel motivated to check every corner. Why would I want to get +1 defense with a new armor or a bunch of crafting materials when I can steal nice treasure and use it to get some nice arrows and gadgets?

Might also add that Thief did interactive narrative elements much better than most games that came after: by having the player overhear enemy grunts talking and find hand-written letters instead of putting half the lore in emails and recordings you find in dead bodies* :obviously:

*more of a rant toward SS than FNV.

Meh, like I said overrated. What can be so great about level design when you are only sneaking around and looking for shit for mission goals? And come on, how many levels in first 2 Thief games where you are just crawling around some mines or caves, dealing with annoying undead.

The first two Thief games also have some pretty fantastic first person melee combat despite the whole point of the game being to avoid combat. They’ve got better melee combat than any Bethesda game has ever had despite Bethesda’s games being combat centric, and the Elder Scrolls series being a fantasy series with sword fights being the major way you’ll likely do combat. I’d say that until Breakdown came around in 2004, the Thief games had the best first person melee combat of any game around.

The melee combat was so good in Thief it was a little mind boggling that they removed it in Thief: Deadly Shadows.

By the time Bethesda was up to Skyrim, and the sword combat and stealth still sucked, it was pretty aggravating. Its like: You stupid motherfuckers, Thief came out like 13 years ago, just rip this shit off you fucking hacks.

The melee combat you couldn't use (on harder difficulty)? With animations so shitty, you can't tell what the enemy is doing until it's too late? Let's not use Bethesda as a watermark for melee combat please.

Can't have Arx Fatalis but not Ultima Underworld. I like Arx Fatalix, but everything in it, Ultima Underworld didn't just inspire, it did a lot better.

Fake news. There are many things Arx did better than UW. Controls, sound design, visuals/art direction, some of the RPG systems, sense of realism, actually having full screen viewport, soundtrack consisting of unique tracks per area not just the same tune on repeat, and then some. There are also indeed many things UW did better too, but 11 years of technological advancement (1991-2002) really provides contrast here.

UUW/Arx are games where gameplay is literally figuring shit out. To proceed through levels, you have to solve many "puzzles" or figure out how to unlock the level. This is the central core of these games, unlike any other lineage. And in this aspect, UUW is miles ahead of Arx. All the puzzles in UUW were brilliant, whereas in Arx, they were a mixed bag, some were great, some were shit.

You can run around killing everyone with little to no regard for stealth in stealth series like Metal Gear Solid, Hitman, Splinter Cell, (outside of maybe the CIA mission in the first game) Assassin’s Creed, and Thief too. One of more entertaining times I played Hitman (think it was Blood Money) was over at a friends place, somewhat stoned, doing a hammer run of the opera house... it was not a stealthy run at that level, and nobody went unhammered. Cyberpunk 2077 is a stealth game that seems to be largely inspired by MGS5, where it’s also totally possible to go in guns blazing on missions. The majority of your missions in 2077 are meant to be done with stealth; outside of side story stuff like the arena fighting, the AI cars, and the racing. I’m pretty sure the vast majority of the missions your given are framed in a way to tell you: Hey, we’d rather people didn’t know you were here. I guess you could go and punch everyone into submission for those missions where they want you to take someone alive, but stealth is the faster living takedown option a lot of the time.

Cyberpunk 2077 isn’t a RPG. Just because a game has unlockable skills doesn’t mean it’s a RPG. Fucking Devil May Cry games do that and those aren’t RPGs. Metal Gear Survive had skills too. Metal Gear Solid 5 and Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines have driving. The Mercenaries games had driving and you could use vehicles as a form of stealth like 2077 selectively lets you do for one mission (Gimme Danger) when you’re told to sneak into the Arasaka Industrial Park and upload something.

I wasn’t using Bethesda as a benchmark for melee combat. I said Bethesda has worse melee combat than two games whose whole point is not to get into combat despite Bethesda’s games all being combat focused. The comparison was only drawn because a comparison was already being made.

Falksi

Arcane
Reading through these choices highlights just how much the fucking poisonous NA IGN disease has plagued gaming.

Everywhere you look shite like Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 get regularly featured in normie "greatest ever" lists, whereas the majority of choices made in this thread so far get shunned.

Bunch of normie cunts.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Too lazy to give a 3x3 grid at the moment and I made a TOP 25 one a few years ago already, so I'll just rehash it:

DMC1 should be changed to DMC3 probably, though.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Everywhere you look shite like Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 get regularly featured in normie "greatest ever" lists, whereas the majority of choices made in this thread so far get shunned.

Mario 64 almost made my list, but I couldn't justify it over Conker, which is the best multiplayer game ever conceived.

No it shouldn't.

Lagi

Savant
Games that I come back to play over again.

Fantasy General 2 - i keep playing procedural campaign with different heroes.

Caster of Magic Win - with newest 150 version is the fastest 4x strategy (saving building queue, auto combats). AI is great, if not the best ever. Polish to the tiniest bits. Have tons of customization options. Only good remake, except Remnants of the Precursors.

AoW1 - mods Evolve or Ziggurat. Ziggurat still doing some experiments, while Evolve even if dead is more mature.

Heretic - like theme (cant look at doom monsters anymore). With Wayfarer, Walpurgis, HexArcana, Bitter and random maps from Obligue. yeah yeah Amid Evil is better, but its more surreal

Warcraft 3 - I was thinking about Brood War, but half of BW units roster is underused - and i like to pick some interesting unit and make game plan around it.

Dawn of War 1 - Pro mod make timings for more unit use.

BAR - always played TA Escalation, but now i think BAR is better (except zooming with camera and graphics).

IntoTheBreach - creative and different gameplay with each squad.

War1gus - its warcraft 1 remake. Dead now AFAIK, but still rocks.

xxmMJHw.png

Ash

Arcane
Deflowerer said:
No it shouldn't.

Agreed. DMC1 is still the best overall in my eyes. If anything swap it for Ninja Gaiden 1 (2004), but not any other DMC. Yeah DMC3 & the ones that follow has deeper combat, but DMC1 has a lot more going for it overall, while still featuring very solid combat nonetheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom