Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 9 games [(-2023 EDITION-)]

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The Witcher
Gothic
Gothic 2
Fallout
KOTOR
KOTOR 2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Counter Strike
Euro Truck Simulator 2

:positive:

Last edited:

LB_wannabe

Educated
What are the names of the second to last and the one before that?

"Icewind Dale 2" and "King's Bounty: Warriors of the North".

Very brave to list new DmC and new PoP. Did you put them for the sake of variety in the thread or are they really amongst your favourites?

About Prince Persia 2008, I love the art style even if the gameplay is quite repetitive and dull and it's not a real Prince of Persia (the best PoP is "Prince of Persia: The Sands of time", followed by
"The Forgotten Sands"),

About DmC, LOL, I like the Devil My Cry gameplay mixed with that silly, psychedelic, flamboyant, showy attitude to look bigger, better and badder than actually it is.

Groover

Literate
In random order:

Left 4 Dead 2
Vermintide 1
Metroid Prime
Witcher 2
Twilight Princess HD (for harder modes)
Skyward Sword HD (for the removal of many tutorials)
Smash 4
The Last of Us Part 1
Ratchet and Clank (2002)

Last edited:
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thief The Dark Project
System Shock 2
Quake
Fallout 1
Postal 2
Blade Runner
Hitman Contracts
Darkwood
The Saboteur
One Finger Death Punch
Mini Metro
System Shock
Doom 1

I can't count. Feel free to add/remove games to the Top 9 as you see fit, but Thief and Shock 2 stay in the Top 2, ya hear!

Honorable Mentions: Trespasser, Underworld Ascendant. Too good for this world... :negative:

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What are the names of the second to last and the one before that?

"Icewind Dale 2" and "King's Bounty: Warriors of the North".

Very brave to list new DmC and new PoP. Did you put them for the sake of variety in the thread or are they really amongst your favourites?

About Prince Persia 2008, I love the art style even if the gameplay is quite repetitive and dull and it's not a real Prince of Persia (the best PoP is "Prince of Persia: The Sands of time", followed by
"The Forgotten Sands"),

About DmC, LOL, I like the Devil My Cry gameplay mixed with that silly, psychedelic, flamboyant, showy attitude to look bigger, better and badder than actually it is.

Yeah, that's what I like about them too. Definitely two games that have left a stronger impression on me. I like how "in your face" everything in DmC is. From the dialogue to the move set. I might try some of the other games on your list.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
co3gfn.png
co2yb6.png
co50kv.png
co25ag.png
co1xxv.png
co2k3b.png
co1vqp.png
co4bak.png
co29t0.png
Lot's of Codex classics, but at least some unconventional picks.

Trithne

Erudite
Came at this from the perspective of "What are the games that I keep going back to time and time again?"

Untitled.png

Honourable mention to Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

LB_wannabe

Educated
Yeah, that's what I like about them too. Definitely two games that have left a stronger impression on me. I like how "in your face" everything in DmC is. From the dialogue to the move set. I might try some of the other games on your list.

About PoP 2008, I forgot to mention the mesmerizing fluidity of the gameplay, as said in da video:

Now, about my favs, if you want a bit more info, starting from the top left corner:

1. Einhander: ciber-punk side-scrolling shooter masterpiece for Playstation 1, but also R-Type Delta for Ps1 is amazing.

2. Ikaruga: it's the nirvana of bullet-hells but hard as the nine hells.

3. Hurrican: awesome tribute to Turrican made by fans, the visual design of enemies is sometime a bit bland, but nothing is perfect.

3. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge: frenetic deep challenging combat, but "Ninja Gaiden Black" (or the Sigma "bastard" version) was the cult game that started the 3d saga, so it was a hard choice.: Black is more hardcore, and more hardcore is usually better.

4. Prince Persia (2008): amazing and dream-like art style with mesmerizing fluid PoP gameplay. It's not a real PoP, but I don't care.

5. DmC: flashy, showy, cocky style mixed with solid and smooth DmC gameplay. It's not a real DmC, but I don't care.

6. Icewind Dale 2: a concentration of pure tactical combat for a fantasy party in a fantasy world. The story of the first is better, but I don't care.

7. King's Bounty: Warriors of the North: huge game, with beautiful cartoon art style, vikings, fantasy cliches and a gameplay based on a simple chess-like combat without micro-management of resources,
just esploration and combat. I love it, but the 3d saga started with "King's Bounty: The Legend," and "Warriors" is just more of the same.

8. Ok, it's the most famous and probably influential dark-fantasy game based on grind and loot.

__scribbles__

Educated
Too lazy to do the grid thing right now. Maybe I'll do it some time and edit the post.

Thief: The Dark Project
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Grim Fandango
Fallout
Bloodborne
Jagged Alliance 2
Temple of Elemental Evil
Planescape: Torment

Honourable mentions to Kenshi, Deus Ex, Ultima Underworld, and Pathologic.

Gostak

Educated
UT2k4
UT99
SS13
Cataclysm:DDA
OFP:Resistance
CKII
F-Zero X
Doom II
Cortex Command (Community Project)
Update:

d567246e-ac21-11ed-b013-02420a00012e.webp
JfyTKu.gif
d060c356-ac0a-11ed-ac61-02420a00012e.webp
6a6d7c98-c270-11ed-ab6b-02420a000194.webp
4d791988-ac10-11ed-98b0-02420a000130.webp
220px-Spacestation13_logo.png
CataclysmTitle-thumbnail2.png
2015-01-11%2B-%2Bincursion%2Bconsole.jpg
header.jpg

So, actually I am not sure what is worthy to go in the other two spots currently.
Nor am I really sure none of the ones I felt needed to be mentioned as my current favs now might
actually need to make room for something else.
But feels about right, at the moment.

EDIT: Incursion definitely deserves a spot.
2: While there's still room, FTL and its big content mod
3: FTL had to make room for Unexplored

Last edited:

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
UT2k4
UT99
SS13
Cataclysm:DDA
OFP:Resistance
CKII
F-Zero X
Doom II
Cortex Command (Community Project)
Update:

d567246e-ac21-11ed-b013-02420a00012e.webp
480b7614-ab6e-11ed-b325-02420a00019e.webp
d060c356-ac0a-11ed-ac61-02420a00012e.webp
6a6d7c98-c270-11ed-ab6b-02420a000194.webp
4d791988-ac10-11ed-98b0-02420a000130.webp
220px-Spacestation13_logo.png
CataclysmTitle-thumbnail2.png

So, actually I am not sure what is worthy to go in the other two spots currently.
Nor am I really sure none of the ones I felt needed to be mentioned as my current favs now might
actually need to make room for something else.
But feels about right, at the moment.
Star dynasties sucks. If you want space crusader kings just play ck2 with the crisis of the confederacy mod. Or wait for alliance of the sacred suns. You're welcome.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Star dynasties sucks. If you want space crusader kings just play ck2 with the crisis of the confederacy mod. Or wait for alliance of the sacred suns. You're welcome.
Couldn't even read the first post. Enough trash talk, post YOUR top 9 for the year tough guy.

Johnny Rico

Literate
Twice the number, but who cares ?

From 1989 to 2016
8 from Japan
6 from US
1 from France
1 from UK
1 from Denmark
1 from Sweden

Oh dear, nevermind

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Twice the number, but who cares ?

From 1989 to 2016
8 from Japan
6 from US
1 from France
1 from UK
1 from Denmark
1 from Sweden

Oh dear, nevermind

Never seen an embed like this (where you can zoom into the picture).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom