Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hoo boy. After playing Lacrimosa of Dana for a couple of hours... this feels easily the worst iteration combat-wise of the party based Ys games. The premise seems interesting enough and music has mostly been awesome so far, so maybe it'll still be an enjoyable experience overall. I did enjoy SEVEN and Celceta.

The opening cinematic having a completely orchestral piece instead of stuff like

or

or

Was :majordecline:. I think Felghana had an orchestral OP as well, but at least that game was totally awesome on the gameplay front...

spekkio

Arcane
You're weird.

For me it's easily SEVEN < Celceta < 8 as far as "party-based combat Ys games" go. Every next game has better combat than its predecessor.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know, might just be I'm put off by the camera control or because the movement and combat doesn't feel quite as snappy as before, which might not necessarily be a bad thing, but feels very different. I'm not sure if part of it might also be the default control scheme which hasn't felt natural at all to me so far. The main weirdness I think I have is that there's now a jump and a dodge, whereas before it was only either one. Jump has so far has felt pretty much a pointless addition, while in the default control scheme it's taken the spot where the actual dodge used to be.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
I don't know, might just be I'm put off by the camera control or because the movement and combat doesn't feel quite as snappy as before, which might not necessarily be a bad thing, but feels very different. I'm not sure if part of it might also be the default control scheme which hasn't felt natural at all to me so far. The main weirdness I think I have is that there's now a jump and a dodge, whereas before it was only either one. Jump has so far has felt pretty much a pointless addition, while in the default control scheme it's taken the spot where the actual dodge used to be.

As I said on the previous page, the start of Ys 8 is slow IMO and you probably need to get in about 8 hours first before judging.

I had the same initial feeling about the movement and combat (and I don't remember jump being as good as in Tokyo Xanadu), but I did feel the combat got better as it went on.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finally started playing and beat it on Nightmare mode the other day. Fighting through the post-game dungeon right now.
The game was more fun than the other party games.
The jump was pretty useless I suppose, but it still feels more natural here - and I missed it after Felghana. Also enjoyed the little platforming sections peppered here n there.

Main thoughts are:
Parry is undoubtably satisfying, but I still miss the Felghana-style dodging more. There was even one boss that kinda payed tribute to these games (The dragon statue thing in the tower), but it was all rendered obsolete with the addition of the flash guard.
I hope they bring normal SHMUPiness somehow.

Also, I didn't like how there's only one proper 'Dungeon' area in the game, and it's a post-game bonus. It still is pretty fun though.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I first started Ys 8, I was very disappointed with combat. I prefer the early game of Celceta and Ys 7, but the combat in Ys 8 becomes a lot of fun once you get a few abilities and you're able to do more crazy combos. I prefer it over both its party based predecessors.

Cromwell

Arcane
do you know of collectors editions (physical) of the ys games? I only found ones for origins.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lordy the price. No matter what I'd still start with the Sega Master System. I believe in nostalgia and seeing how it was reinvisioned over time.

Blaza

Educated
Recently started playing Origins and really enjoying it. I found the combat to be simple enough that I'm not wracking my brain thinking of what every little detail does but engaging enough to keep me interested and the story is ok.

I'm playing as Yunica and currently on the mecha boss guy where you have to lop his hands off before you can damage him. Fuck the centipede boss by the way, took me so many tries cause of those bombs he drops.

I also have The Oath in Felghana in my GOG library and will probably play it once I'm finished with Origins, is it similar at all and did are they even connected story wise?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Recently started playing Origins and really enjoying it. I found the combat to be simple enough that I'm not wracking my brain thinking of what every little detail does but engaging enough to keep me interested and the story is ok.

I'm playing as Yunica and currently on the mecha boss guy where you have to lop his hands off before you can damage him. Fuck the centipede boss by the way, took me so many tries cause of those bombs he drops.

I also have The Oath in Felghana in my GOG library and will probably play it once I'm finished with Origins, is it similar at all and did are they even connected story wise?
I also finished Ys Origin recently. You are going to love Felgana. Same engine and feel to the combat, but more variety and scope in the adventure. It can be argued than Origins is more focused and that's an strength, but the open world in Felgana has its appealing also.

I stalk the night
Patron
are they even connected story wise?

Well the Ys games generally kind of are and then again kind of aren't. There is a timeline and often hints towards Adolfs other blitzkriegs, but the games are self contained enough so they can really be played in any order IMO. Or well, you maybe should play Ys 1 before Ys 2, but otherwise it doesn't really matter that much.

And seconding Matador, if you like Origin you should love Felghana.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

In the Ys series, there are 3 games using the engine seen in Origings: Ys VI (Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origins.

Ys Napishtim was the first to use that engine, so it's a bit rough around the edges, but I think you'll still get a kick out of it. And Felghana is basically the best Ys game - be sure to play that one too.

Blaza

Educated
I also finished Ys Origin recently. You are going to love Felgana. Same engine and feel to the combat, but more variety and scope in the adventure. It can be argued than Origins is more focused and that's an strength, but the open world in Felgana has its appealing also.

Great to hear! Excited to play it now, I love open worlds. Must be the former bethestard in me lol

Well the Ys games generally kind of are and then again kind of aren't. There is a timeline and often hints towards Adolfs other blitzkriegs, but the games are self contained enough so they can really be played in any order IMO. Or well, you maybe should play Ys 1 before Ys 2, but otherwise it doesn't really matter that much.

Awesome, with all the different titles and non-numbered entries I didn't know if they followed a coherent storyline or if they where more "these are all set in the same universe but different stories" kind of deal. Thanks.

In the Ys series, there are 3 games using the engine seen in Origings: Ys VI (Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origins.

Ys Napishtim was the first to use that engine, so it's a bit rough around the edges, but I think you'll still get a kick out of it. And Felghana is basically the best Ys game - be sure to play that one too.

Looking forward to it! will pickup Napishtim when I finish Felghana then. I had attempted to play Ys 1 before Origin but wasn't a huge fan of the combat. It felt like a clunky roguelike and it just made me want to play Angband instead.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Great to hear! Excited to play it now, I love open worlds. Must be the former bethestard in me lol

Awesome, with all the different titles and non-numbered entries I didn't know if they followed a coherent storyline or if they where more "these are all set in the same universe but different stories" kind of deal. Thanks.

Looking forward to it! will pickup Napishtim when I finish Felghana then. I had attempted to play Ys 1 before Origin but wasn't a huge fan of the combat. It felt like a clunky roguelike and it just made me want to play Angband instead.

Origins is the basically a prequel - it sets up many of the events that happen in Ys 1 and 2, and also some of the references in the latter games. Without too many spoilers, you need to play through the game twice (with a character that is not Yunica or Hugo) to get the true story of what actually happened leading up to Ys 1. I suppose in a way it has a minor spoiler to the start of Ys 2 but as others have said the games are pretty much self-contained.

Felghana (or rather Ys 3 - Felghana is a remake of Ys 3) was originally not going to be a Ys title - in the end it does have some characters in common but the lore elements are not quite as strong as some that of the other Ys games.

Removal

Scholar
Ys is better classified by the engine it runs on more than where it falls in the series since the same engine games play fairly similarly and plot definitely takes a side seat in Ys games for the most part

Blaza

Educated
Beat the red boss, who I found outs name is Gelaldy, after about half an hour. The first 20 minutes of which was spent doing 2-7 damage until I realized I had a clerica ore in my inventory I forgot to bring to Rico..

Was not prepared for the next boss
turning into a bullet hell. Luckily I just got over a phase of playing Touhou
but had less issues with it than I did Gelaldy.

I'm still having a blast, though I did get a little stuck
charging that ring. Then I died cause I had it equipped but didn't have Blue Necklace on..did not know I didn't have to have the Evil Ring on.

Blaza

Educated
I finished Origin last night and the final boss was fantastic. Just the right amount of challenge on Normal for me, took me about 2 hours in total to beat him. Overall Yunica playthrough was 15 hours.
Fantastic game, would rate it about 7-8/10.

The story did it's job, and mainly got out of the way which I enjoy since I believe most games don't have the best story and would be better served with this approach. I really enjoyed the scant story and I thought the ending was good
if a little bittersweet. Sleep well Goddesses

Oath is up next once I finish one of the other games I have in rotation of currently playing and I am really looking forward to it and how it changes with the open world stuff others have mentioned in the thread.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I finished Origin last night and the final boss was fantastic. Just the right amount of challenge on Normal for me, took me about 2 hours in total to beat him. Overall Yunica playthrough was 15 hours.
Fantastic game, would rate it about 7-8/10.

The story did it's job, and mainly got out of the way which I enjoy since I believe most games don't have the best story and would be better served with this approach. I really enjoyed the scant story and I thought the ending was good
if a little bittersweet. Sleep well Goddesses

Oath is up next once I finish one of the other games I have in rotation of currently playing and I am really looking forward to it and how it changes with the open world stuff others have mentioned in the thread.

You are not going to find out the real story and the real end boss?

You are not going to play as the Toal Fact?

Blaza

Educated
You are not going to find out the real story and the real end boss?

You are not going to play as the Toal Fact?

I might come back and do the other line later, I'm not really super enticed by story stuff. Unless he plays totally differently than Yunica, then I'll probably do it sooner. Even with Nier: Automata, one of the best games I've ever played, I only got 1 ending, then started for a second and then dropped it. I figure I have enough issues getting through games once, adding multiple playthroughs is just not really my thing most of the time.

Blaza

Educated
Dude, you only played 1/3 of one of the best game you ever played.

I'll probably get around to doing other endings eventually, I just have weird habits in how I like to do things. It's not uncommon for me to take month long breaks from games I'm in the middle of. Like I'm now back to playing Yakuza 5 which I started in like June since I finished Origin. This also applies to other things like books, and anime. New Game is one of my top 5 animes and it took me like 6 months to watch the 24 episodes and the movie. I think Bakuman took me a whole year, but thats way more episodes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom