Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline ZDoom sounds and looks better than GZDoom

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
HAHAHA, success. I had to add snd_mididevice -1 on my autoexec file and even though that's supposed to be for FMOD according to the CVARs wiki GZDoom still picked it up and now it's using the sound system font in question. Lmao.

schru

Arcane
Is that Strife: Veteran Edition loaded into the source port? I don't recall that track being in the game, but I think the Veteran Edition did have some ‘restored content’.

Also, might Sound System not just refer to the default MIDI device in Windows, which would be Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth? Try it with a more popular game like Doom and search for a GS Wavetable Synth recording on YouTube. Incidentally, it's a cut down version of Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas, which in turn was based on SC-55.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's from the Return of The Order wad.

And no, it's not Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, because when i actually pick that in either GZDoom or ZZDoom it doesn't sound anywhere like this "sound system" font, whatever it is.

Could it be that the ACL1200 has it's own sound font?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I did a bit more research and FMOD does seem to have it's own MIDI synthesiser (which is presumably what 'Sound System' is) so it's entirely possible it's doing something to the music. Some enterprising Redditor has converted the default Windows soundfont (which is in something called DLS format by default and not usable through OpenAL/Fluidsynth) to SF2 format so perhaps try that one through GZD and see how it sounds.

Could it be that the ACL1200 has it's own sound font?
Not impossible but would be weird if it did tbh. Don't think many sound cards take account of midi any more.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
alright I take back what I said, it's gotta be the FMOD synth and not the soundfont. You'll just have to miss out on boring modern wads and use ZD all the time or find a font you like (fwiw I prefer 8mbgm_enhanced18.sf2).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah i think i'll stick to GZDoom 2.4.0 or ZDoom 2.8.1 as much as i can. Both came out around 2016/2017 so that's a ton of wad coverage and if anything after doesn't work i'll just load modern GZDoom instead.

Odd that with five dozen forks nobody thought about porting FMOD back into it. You could call it FZDoom fuck if i had learned programming i'd have done it myself lmao.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
"LZDoom targets users still running with OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics cards but who want to stay in touch with the latest in GZDoom development."

It's literally someone catching up with the giant megafag and refactoring shit so it runs on old-ass GPUs...
It doesn't have texture filtering on by default, so that makes it better.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So after a bit more research it turns out all it is is the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth played by FMOD. Every attempt to muck around with latest GZDoom resulted in nothing as the default soundfont that comes with GZDoom is actually better than any form of Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth under OpenAL, but FMOD is still better.

I'm now wondering what SC-55.sf2 would sound like under FMOD. Why is the old shit always better? Fucking nu-programmers.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I used to use ZDL but discovered that Doom Launcher is much nicer if you like Launchbox/Calibre levels of Doom organizational faggotry for all your pwads. GZDoom? I remember when I didn't know any better how I used one of those source ports and had OpenGL/bilinear turned on or some shit like that that added filtering to the pixels and used to cut off the bottom of the images of dead baddies. Now bright, pixel perfection is a beautiful thing.

It's literally someone catching up with the giant megafag and refactoring shit so it runs on old-ass GPUs...

I have actual horror stories about the lead developer of GZDoom from the ZDoom forums.

People wanted the ability to prevent saving via script so people could make roguelike wads and other shenanigans (I was going to make something similar to Mooncrash called Doomcrash), but the feature was rejected for being "abusable" despite the fact that I can unbind every key in the game with 1 line in the KEYCONF lump and permanently alter game settings through scripts.

Graf is a moron, no wonder his port sucks.

Curratum

I have actual horror stories about the lead developer of GZDoom from the ZDoom forums.

People wanted the ability to prevent saving via script so people could make roguelike wads and other shenanigans (I was going to make something similar to Mooncrash called Doomcrash), but the feature was rejected for being "abusable" despite the fact that I can unbind every key in the game with 1 line in the KEYCONF lump and permanently alter game settings through scripts.

Graf is a moron and GZD is ass, but in terms of "use one thing, never worry about compatibility", his port is the go-to for everyone who doesn't like going through release readmes to see if it will work on crispy doom or whatever the fuck autism they've gone for instead of GZD.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Graf is a moron and GZD is ass, but in terms of "use one thing, never worry about compatibility", his port is the go-to for everyone who doesn't like going through release readmes to see if it will work on crispy doom or whatever the fuck autism they've gone for instead of GZD.
Really? Well, for that, I prefer doom.exe.

Also vanilla doom (and ports that try to be vanilla doom) genuinely sucks in a lot of ways.

No, mouselook didn't "ruin" doom, or it's horrendous badly-implemented and extremely half-assed autoaim. Some people are just purist autistic assholes.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Odd that with five dozen forks nobody thought about porting FMOD back into it. You could call it FZDoom fuck if i had learned programming i'd have done it myself lmao.
Honestly, FMOD is pretty messed up to work with.
It was made "for designers/artists", meaning it is horrible to actually use in programming. The simplest stuff is made aggravatingly complicated to pull off.
Also, it's not open source, and any third party lib that isn't open source or has a massive backing like Unity/Unreal is nothing but an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, most audio libs for some mystical reason are not open source.

I'd probably rather write my own audio engine from scratch (thankfully, I don't have to, there are alternatives) than try and use FMOD in any project ever again :lol:

That said, it is absolutely possible that it just happens to have the best synth for MIDI music...

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Also vanilla doom (and ports that try to be vanilla doom) genuinely sucks in a lot of ways.

No, mouselook didn't "ruin" doom, or it's horrendous badly-implemented and extremely half-assed autoaim. Some people are just purist autistic assholes.
Source ports and mouselook suck ass and look horrible. STFU declinetard. I'm an asshole and I'm BASED.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

That said, it is absolutely possible that it just happens to have the best synth for MIDI music...

It's not just that it sounds good, but that it sounds like i remember. I played Hexen on an actual Sound Blaster back in the day and FMOD sounds exactly like it where as the soundfont bundled with the OpenAL versions of GZDoom doesn't sound like that at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom