Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Publisher Exploiting An Obsidian Kickstarter

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There's also certain publisher influences in regards to marketing, for instance this is a recent example of what can happen to a game within a single year to "make it more marketable":

Holy shit, how can the publisher fuck the game so badly in so little time?
:what:
I mean, both are shooters, buth the former had some silly charm, but the second tries to be gritty, realistic, modern and violent too hard.

The mind boggles trying to understand how you can fuck a game up so completely in such a short time. On the other hand, EA has massive experience in doing such a thing, so they must have it down to a science by now.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Whoa. Fuse looks like shit. Overstrike looks fun just like Binary Domain. EA, the touch of shit.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's also certain publisher influences in regards to marketing, for instance this is a recent example of what can happen to a game within a single year to "make it more marketable":

Good god, that's bad. Anybody knows what happened there?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
evdk http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...-game-formerly-known-as-insomniacs-overstrike

Insomniac Games originally unveiled Overstrike at Electronic Arts' E3 2011 press conference. The game's debut trailer, created by animation studio Blur, blended comedy with action. Characters were heavily stylized. Environments were bright and cheerful. Dialogue was campy.

As the game developed, Insomniac says the lighthearted visual tone of Overstrike didn't match what it was ultimately becoming: a mature, co-op shooter with a more serious story centered around the Fuse element.

"We'd started off with a cartoony art style, but it just never felt like the stakes were that high," says Fuse creative director Brian Allgeier. "You really couldn't take anyone seriously. We actually evolved the style quite a bit just to get to the Overstrike trailer from E3 2011. We were still developing the characters, but there was a certain point where we were ready to go to press and get these characters in the trailer. And they were kind of pulling it out of our artists' hands."

Fuse, even before we knew it as Overstrike, began life as something different altogether: a four-player stealth game.

"That didn't work," says Price of the game's original intent. "We were struggling to find the fun there. [Brian Allgeier] was the one who came to me and said, 'I don't think this is working at all. We need to take this in a more action-oriented direction.' It made a lot of sense, because that's what we do best."

"There's always going to be a Leeroy Jenkins that runs in and screws things up," Allgeier says of the original co-op stealth design. "We realized we really needed to make this about these dual functional weapons — they were called gadgets at the time — but we finally locked down on what seemed to be an offensive, four-player game that's class-based. That was a big step for us about six months into the project."

That's when Insomniac began prototyping Fuse's signature weapons, some of which made their way into the E3 trailer, some of which have since evolved. Price says that, constrained by Overstrike's stylized art direction, the developer was having trouble giving the game's weapons "the impact that we believed they needed to make combat feel satisfying."

"When we went in a darker direction, a less comic direction, we were able to do a lot more over-the-top experimentation with the weapons," he says. "We were able to make them look more brutal and do things to enemies that we simply couldn't do with our previous incarnation of the game. It wasn't until we started trying these things that we realized that's where the core fun, in terms of the minute-to-minute combat, lay."

Price says reaction to the change, even within Insomniac, was somewhat mixed.

"A large percentage [of the team] was relieved that we were embracing a more mature existence because it was more relevant to the gamers we were targeting," he says. "But there are some folks who loved the original campy direction. You can never please everybody. You have to do what you think is best for the game."

Price says the decision to move from Overstrike to Fuse only happened after "a lot of soul-searching," and plenty of "debate and analysis of what's going to make this game great." Allgeier says the decision to center the game around Fuse was made in early 2012.

Fuse will retain a degree of its original humor, Price promises. He says the campy humor shown in last year's trailer has been replaced with a "more sophisticated, dry wit." T.J. Fixman, writer of Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank series, will provide that humor, a component missing from the developer's drearily serious Resistance games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"We'd started off with a cartoony art style, but it just never felt like the stakes were that high,"
But that was the only thing it had going for it. Now it's just another ultra realistic grim and gritty derpfest with colour palette stolen from a latrine.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, take into account that publishers can do whatever the hell they want, even if it is initially on contract that the developers will get royalties, bonuses, whores, and copious amounts of cocaine.

They can simply say 'we won't honor our part of the deal, suck it up or file a lawsuit and embrace bankruptcy.' Like Lucasarts did with Free Radical studio and other publishers did with other studios.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Price says the decision to move from Overstrike to Fuse only happened after "a lot of soul-searching," and plenty of "debate and analysis of what's going to make this game great." Allgeier says the decision to center the game around Fuse was made in early 2012.

Read: we had to do it otherwise our overlords EA would have pulled the plug on us :lol:

From a quirky Incredibles/Pixar inspired action game to a shitty Gears of War ripoff in 12 months. Holy fuck.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Feargus Urquhart ‏@Feargus
Note to self - remember comments sections exist on the internet and can be copied into news articles.

:lol:

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I have a felling that shadow corporation was ultraevil Atari. Obsidian probably tried to question Atari at possible D&D game, because PE is nothing more than D&D game without the licence(or Black Hound as other would say). Atari said no (Hasbro probably wants new projects set in 5th ED), project moved on, someone spilled the beans to Atari overlords, that Feargus and team are going to Kickstarter and voilà! Or maybe I'm wrong that Atari still holds the digital rights to D&D(until 2014?).

Or maybe it was Herve all along with his Black Isle Zombie project.

Castanova

Prophet
I mean, if the publisher only has to take half, or less, of the risk wouldn't they be more open to riskier projects, like turn-based RPGs?

Nope. Publishers are giant corporations that think in terms of billions, not millions. There's no point in wasting effort funding a small project like a turn-based RPG because the potential reward is so tiny. It doesn't matter if the ROI is 500%... 500% of $2mm is still only like 0.000001% of the profit they need in order to keep their stock prices afloat and their options in the money.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Feargus Urquhart ‏@Feargus
Note to self - remember comments sections exist on the internet and can be copied into news articles.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that.
Obsidian may be getting a bad reputation among publishers, between this and MCA tweeting about the FO:NV Metacritic-bonus thing.

This made me seethe hearing this. I hope this gets picked up and does the rounds and eventually someone reveals which publisher it was. Audiences have massive influence over companies these days with social media and whatnot and I want to see that power wielded to the absolute maximum extent for when a company such as this tries to secretly make one of these moves. It's a completely parasitic behaviour

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder as well how future relations between publishers and Obsidian will play out. Will it be business as usual, or will things have changed.

EDIT: And I don't mean these one or two comments by OBS, but because of them doing this Kickstarter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Like the relations Double Fine is having with publishers? As in they are still doing games with publishers just fine? I don't really see a problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would say that the street cred that Obsidian is gaining now with gamers (ie, actual customers) more than outweighs whatever offense they may have caused to a few corporate suits.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't see publishers getting butthurt about this stuff. Or even if they are, they won't throw away business opportunities because of that. They're business men, not kids packing up their toys and running home whenever someone looks at them the wrong way.

Plus, there were never any names. Fargo for example can scream all he wants about evil publishers as long as he doesn't give any names. Then, he could just as well go with one of them and say "Hey, they're not the ones I was talking about. They're good people." See the EA Origin thing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Faster Than Light (this one is already done): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light/ (and I'd like to point out that it is doing rather well, being at the Top3 of the "Top Seller" list on Steam for the past week, so there goes that "most interested people will chip on to KickStarter and there are no more sales to be made" argument)
Did people really think this? It seems really stupid to me. Most interested people who even knew about the kickstarter (which is already not 100%) would probably be risk averse and not want to donate money on the *chance* that a game would get made, and would prefer to wait until release. I know this because I have several friends who make fun of my a lot for contributing to kickstarters.

A new game called "Blackspace", which will hopefully get funded: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive
That looks pretty cool.

Please do tell what innovative "non-straight genre games" came out of publishers in the last 3-5 years, I'll wait.
Yeah, also I'm trying to figure out how Fallout is *not* a straight genre game.

Regarding success rates on KickStarter, I guess this is a rather interesting Infograph: http://www.abload.de/img/120824kickstarterfinazkuoc.jpg
You will never EVER get anywhere close to 43% success rate on a Pitch with a publisher, it's more along the lines of 3-5% and with all he negative sides that entails.
I think games are more like 30% now, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing. Most of the pitches are for bad ideas and should fail. It's still 6x as many games getting funding as the publisher model has.

...videos...
:mhd:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
qh1ui.gif

bhlaab

Erudite
I very much doubt Thief, or Fallout 1 for that matter, would've ever been successfully crowdfunded.

Yeah, a successor to Wasteland probably wouldn't ever get off the ground on Kickstarter.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
heh. In the end of that trailer they even walked away from an explosion. I guess that is the level it is at.

Whoa, this brings popamole shooters to a whole new level. You've got a portable cover shield for your whole team, that can also deflect the enemy projectiles back at them !

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I don't get something: Why would publishers do this? I mean, AAA+ rpgs that publishers usually fund these days cost upwards of 80+ million dollars. And that is BEFORE advertising costs. Wasteland 2's kickstarter, which was VERY successful by K-starter standards raised 3 million dollars.

So, why would publishers care for a paltry sum on kickstarter when they already wallow in hundreds of millions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom