Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Maybe somebody can answer a question for me. When (and why) did the Bioboards/BSN become so ... well, whatever the hell it is now? I posted/lurked over there in the early 2000s until maybe 2008 or so, but it's like there was a complete transplant of their fanbase at some point in the last 6 years. I can't recall ever seeing such a complete and utter turnover.
When ME2 came out, and it was 2010 IIRC, their player base were already almost completely like this (e.g. Tali megathread). But I stopped even lurking for lulz after DA2 release (2011), because after that travesty almost all non-retarded people have left, and resulting masses who remained were too depressing even to laugh at.
WRFtc8p.jpg

I approve that cranky-Gaider is on his path to hating Bioware's new fans as much as he hates their old fans.

DemonKing

Arcane
Maybe somebody can answer a question for me. When (and why) did the Bioboards/BSN become so ... well, whatever the hell it is now? I posted/lurked over there in the early 2000s until maybe 2008 or so, but it's like there was a complete transplant of their fanbase at some point in the last 6 years. I can't recall ever seeing such a complete and utter turnover.

I stopped posting there years ago but mainly because the mods started deleting any posts crictical of Bioware, so it was probably some time before the fanbase went-full romance-orientated.

From a brief look at some of the forum posts there, even if presenting your title as a romance-simualtion sells (which I doubt), would you really want to court that audience? They seem completely impossible to please in addition to being rabid - if you want to target your titles towards people that care so much that individual characters will only romance certain genders/races or that believe there is some kind of inbalance between the amount of Gay/Lesbian/Straight/Bi/Necro/whatever options available to players you're digging your own grave and deserve all you get.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I stopped posting there years ago but mainly because the mods started deleting any posts crictical of Bioware, so it was probably some time before the fanbase went-full romance-orientated.

From a brief look at some of the forum posts there, even if presenting your title as a romance-simualtion sells (which I doubt), would you really want to court that audience? They seem completely impossible to please in addition to being rabid - if you want to target your titles towards people that care so much that individual characters will only romance certain genders/races or that believe there is some kind of inbalance between the amount of Gay/Lesbian/Straight/Bi/Necro/whatever options available to players you're digging your own grave and deserve all you get.

Exactly this. I used to lurk a lot and occasionally post, then ME came out, and DA:O was the nail to the coffin.The fanbase went from stereotypically nerdy (BG, NWN, KOTOR) to the current spectrum of genetically deficient waste of cum's. Another, more subtle transition that happened is that whereas the "old" games were for a pc audience (inherently slightly more mature), whereas the "new" titles (DA/ME) were heavily console-oriented, and designed for a much younger audience (hence the romance simulations, hence the rabid individuals, hence the current state of their forums). In the end, everyone has the fanbase they deserve, and bioware only brought this upon themselves.

They are very setreotypical young teens: impossible to please, pre-angry at everything (well, a first-world-problems kind of angry, anyway), and absolutely unable to take any criticism, nor to actually express reasonable, viable, and rational requests regarding the possible ways to please them. They're (like) 13yo girls having fits when mommy doesn't let them stay out past 10pm on a Friday night.

eremita

Savant
I don't think consistency matters much. Take The Witcher for example. Gerald looks different in every game yet I don't see anyone complaining.
i just looked at screenies of geralt in witcher 1, 2, and 3, and didn't notice any significant differences in facial structure beyond eyebrow change from 1 to the rest, which falls under texturing issue since w1 had really shitty low res textures.
Also they've switched engines between the first and the second Witcher, but Bioware can't even claim this defense, given that DA2's "Lycium Engine" is just Eclipse 1.5, so to speak.
It's funny when you think about it. The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 was released the same year. Just looking at the two you wouldn't expect the shovelware tier budget looking game to be the one made by a huge Canadian studio backed by EA cash and the gorgeous one with lots of detail and impressive visuals to be made by independent Potatoes on the brink of bankruptcy. It's just so weird.
The truth is, DA2 development cycle was fucking ridiculous (like 11 months) and it was basically a low-budget. I would even go so far and say that CDProjekt with GOG behind their back is in much better position than publisher-dependent Bioware... EA suits are generous with DA3 because they realized the studio is fucked after another debacle...

Gord

Arcane
Mind you, I only read BSN posts that end up on the Codex nowadays, so my experience is pretty filtered, but my impression is that the BSN hasn't merely been taken over by young, immature and spoiled teens, it's been taken over by socially challenged people with serious issues.
I'm not talking about sexual orientation, I'm talking about sometimes fundamental problems with personal development.
nuBioware's games seem to give then a way to live out their various quirks, feel accepted and strong in the illusion that is provided.
But the problem with such an audience is that when you cater towards them, you're also locked in even more on immature and/or entitled-feeling people than usual - and when something isn't working as expected, the next breakdown is just around the corner.

Last edited:

Harold

Arcane
All this talk about the special snowflakes at the BSN made me think it's high time we had another round of choice confessions. Therefore, I combed through the depths of tumblr & lost precious sanity points to bring you these gems
tumblr_n9m478k2UK1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9ngziPPHO1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nbjq84fykq1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9matsg3uf1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9yzh0A8Xi1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_na40koLjJm1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9qti0JCM51r1hjuro1_1280.jpg

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Now that it was pointed out, it's good question.
Perhaps there is something more to taint than zombification....It's probably too bad we never get the answer.
:negative:

Harold

Arcane
Yeah, I picked it to showcase that even some BSNtards possess more logic than Bio devs. Also because the wording of the question was funny and, coupled with the retarded looking ork, even funnier. It's as if he's asking the question himself: 'I CAN HAS MAGIC?'

Tytus

Arcane
Perhaps there is something more to taint than zombification....It's probably too bad we never get the answer.

I don't know if it wasn't retconned already. In DA2 there were no Genlocks magic users. Plus they all looked like gorillas (what the fuck, Bioware)

Harold

Arcane
Holy shit, yeah! I forgot genloks were retconned in that godawful DA2 DLC :lol:
More proof that Bio's gameplay designers don't give two fucks about what the writers put in the lore.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Oh god! Don't remind me of DA:2 darkspawns.
The DA:O darkspawn were just cliched undead orcs, but they didn't look retarded. Especially that ogre looked like it came from somekind of my little pony monster list.

Out of all that new art design in DA:2, the darkspawn got worst of it.

pippin

IIRC darkspawn have something to do with the Fade... so if this is true, then every darkspawn gets magic through this. Still, this is my guess, though.

Tytus

Arcane

I hope I'll never, ever, ever see the writing of this person. Ever.

Wow.

Yeah even their enemies aren't anything new in the fantasy genre. Darkspawn made from other races probably seems egdy and dark to Biodrones, but the same idea was in LOTR movie (don't remember if it was in the books) Saruman tells one of the Uruk-Hai that the original orcs were made ouf of Elves when Melkor/Morgoth corrupted them.

So yeah, Darkspawn for all intents and purposes are Orcs.

All this talk about the special snowflakes at the BSN made me think it's high time we had another round of choice confessions. Therefore, I combed through the depths of tumblr & lost precious sanity points to bring you these gems
tumblr_n9m478k2UK1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9ngziPPHO1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nbjq84fykq1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9matsg3uf1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9yzh0A8Xi1r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n9qti0JCM51r1hjuro1_1280.jpg
I see your collection and rise you this:
tumblr_n906cu0PNK1tuofuto1_500.png

tumblr_n904tyTPGV1tuofuto1_500.png
tumblr_n8imw8ZzDo1tuofuto1_500.png

tumblr_n8b6h1UDTb1tuofuto1_500.png
tumblr_n7suvxeer81tuofuto1_500.png

tumblr_n7orneOpo61tuofuto1_500.png
tumblr_n7n3td8Nxj1tuofuto1_500.png

tumblr_n7b32wH4dp1tuofuto1_500.png
tumblr_n75t98wn5h1tuofuto1_500.png

tumblr_n5xulh7rea1tuofuto1_500.png
tumblr_n5jkjo55aK1tuofuto1_500.png

tumblr_n5uezpaUi61tuofuto1_500.png

Kids ruin everything.
tumblr_n5mxq3fGBe1tuofuto1_500.png

See above.
tumblr_n898zePfkL1tuofuto1_500.png

Sadly, I have news for that kid - your precious DA "lore" is shit, so.
tumblr_n7zwgcgJHH1tuofuto1_500.png

Hände hoch! Ich will romance the shit out of dich!
tumblr_n5ymijbpge1tuofuto1_500.png

Because fuck lore, mechanics and combat, I wanna play Barbie!

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah even their enemies aren't anything new in the fantasy genre. Darkspawn made from other races probably seems egdy and dark to Biodrones, but the same idea was in LOTR movie (don't remember if it was in the books) Saruman tells one of the Uruk-Hai that the original orcs were made ouf of Elves when Melkor/Morgoth corrupted them.

So yeah, Darkspawn for all intents and purposes are Orcs.
Yep. There's absolutely nothing original in DA: O in any way. The concept of Golden City is a little uncommon, but otherwise just about everything else is recycled. The quality of the product made out of recycled goods is also not particularly good, so, hm.

Stainless Veteran Oh god why

Tytus

Arcane

:lol:

Remember when Best Thread Ever was full of stuff like this instead of boring SJW bullshit? Regardless, that image is almost too good to be true.

Trust me it isn't. Some time ago I watched a guy on Youtube called Archengeia. Who made "ruminations" about games. He made one about DA:O and he argued how awesome writing is in that game, calling it art. One of his arguments was that Darkspawn were genius/brilliant because they made a black backdrop for all Human/Elven/Dwarven characters and made them more real. Because when you have a black backdrop even the villains like Loghain look more realistic.

So yeah after watching a video like that, this image doesn't faze me.

Untermensch

Augur
If DA:O made him feel embarrassed of his own work, then playing Planescape Torment would probably make him commit seppuku.

Kitako

Arcane
Calling that a mount... I think they misinterpreted the "riding a nug" part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom