Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, so I must have confused the effect of the Silver Sword with the Neverwinter Nights version. Doesn't change the fact that the effect doesn't work very often.

There is no Silver Sword in NWN1, and in NWN2 it doesn't have the instakill ability, it has a bunch of activated ones.

Regardless, nobody can honestly claim the itemization in PoE is better or at least on-par with BG2. They improved it in TWM but it still felt a bit meh.

Okay, you're correct again. I probably confused the Silver Sword with a Vorpal weapon property from NWN.
Although I believe the Silver Sword technically is a vorpal weapon.

Regardless, I can and I do. IMO the itemization is better in PoE TWM then in BG2 ToB.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Does anyone remember why TNO stops losing his memory when he dies, at the start of PST? I am trying to remember. Did he only lose memory when shadows are the ones who got him?

So far I've seen recommendations for the game in this thread from people who seem coherent, and screaming and drooling from those who are constantly crying about SJWs, so I'm convinced to buy the game and then I shall give the definitive review. The posts by Lacrymas are the ones that give me the biggest pause because that's kind of how I figured the game would turn out.

It's getting 9/10 reviews everywhere. Hip hot takes from millenials on kotaku who spend their time writing top 5 lists. Any game that even has pretenses towards writing will likely blow their minds

Last edited:

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This thread made me think. And I don't really remember. Did "Don't trust the skull moment" in PST had any meaningful follow-up? Or just awesome moment in itself and that was it?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread made me think. And I don't really remember. Did "Don't trust the skull moment" in PST had any meaningful follow-up? Or just awesome moment in itself and that was it?

Wasn't that penned by the paranoid incarnation?

Edit: Hijacked by FeelTheRads

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was constantly referencing this, and once when tabbing out, I realized that I can't be the only one annoyed by the arbitrary nature of The Tides, and since the devs shitcanned the codex, the entire idea of the tides is obtuse, so I thought I'd simply share this:

I didn't have to include the quote on the bottom, but I did it just so everyone knows that the writers had absolutely no fucking clue what Alignments actually are or how they work.

For some reason, my character is solid gold, and seems to be dipping in and out of silver. This is incredibly odd, because while I always try to not be an asshole, that's not at all what I'm going for. It also seems to be easy to rack up red without actually being passionate, emotional or zealous - which is partly because you never know how to read certain sentences.

Every game should at least have the Disposition/Reputation system of PoE if they can't have good writing. Knowing whether you're being [Aggressive], [Benevolent] or [Deceptive] when you say "Hand it over" is actually quite helpful.

You've put more thought into this game than the devs tbh.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes, you can definitely confront him about it. I think he explains that he was scared of you based on the last incarnation and that's why he omitted it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Does anyone remember why TNO stops losing his memory when he dies, at the start of PST? I am trying to remember. Did he only lose memory when shadows are the ones who got him?

[...]
I don't think this is ever covered, but I believe that the explanation is hinted at several times. It is my understanding (which may or may not be wrong) that TNO loses more and more of himself with each subsequent death, and that's it's handwaved that you just haven't been dying enough. No incarnation fully lost itself each time it died. It just lost a bit, until you were reset, and TTO and the Shades basically just kept killing incarnations until they reset. I believe it's also said that this is getting worse, and that if TNO doesn't stop dying, he'll become completely unable to recall anything, or form new memories, and essentially just being a drooling wreck with alzheimers.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
One doubt I never managed to clear was: when TNO dies, what happens to his body? I'm talking actual gameplay. Does he simply lies dead until he revives a short time later?

Lacrymas

Arcane
One doubt I never managed to clear was: when TNO dies, what happens to his body? I'm talking actual gameplay. Does he simply lies dead until he revives a short time later?

He gets back on the Mortuary slab. Or maybe he goes to different places depending on where he is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It stretches credibility, but I believe it's implied that Pharod's men are continuing to take your body to the Mortuary each time you die in the game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
He gets back on the Mortuary slab. Or maybe he goes to different places depending on where he is.

It stretches credibility, but I believe it's implied that Pharod's men are continuing to take your body to the Mortuary each time you die in the game.

Hmm, I remembered reading something like that, but I thought I read it wrong since, like Infinitron says, it does stretch credibility.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not implied, Pharod directly says that a previous incarnation paid him so his men pick up TNO's corpse whenever he dies. Only a few puzzles, which require your death, don't have this mechanic. Like your own tomb, probably the Labyrinth as well.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yes, in fact, some incarnation made a deal with Pharod for this very purpose. IIRC, that is.

Edit: Herp, didn't see Lacrymas' response before I posted.

Edit 2: There are a few times he wakes up "on the spot", and like has been said, there's a couple of times you're FUBAR.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only a few puzzles, which require your death, don't have this mechanic. Like your own tomb, probably the Labyrinth as well.

Well, that and when you die outside of Sigil.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The game's not bad.
okp66FD.gif

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

I thought it was because Morte knows way more about TNO than the lets on when you first wake up. He intentionally withholds information from each incarnation in case they turn out to be murderous lunatics or whatever.

*edit* Morte also lies about his origins; he knows he's not a 'Mimir,' and actually from the Pillar of Skulls.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm in the bloom and it actually feels like PST when you're running around in the later parts of the hive.
it's a well-designed area. I credit everything good about this game so far to George Ziets.

All the companions are garbage, combat is garbage -- BUT I've been able to run through/away from all encounters so far, and I've lost all my companions (told them to go away when they started whining).

what sucks is that now I can't finish a crisis designed around occupying some idiot with a companion because AFAIK there's no way to re-recruit companions in the bloom.
oh and crises suck too.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
People that say that they hate Erretis or that he's just another Minsc clearly:
  1. Don't have Scan Thoughts. (Seriously, playing anything other than Nano/Scan Thoughts is a shit choice).
  2. Didn't have Matkina before trying to recruit him.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I was constantly referencing this, and once when tabbing out, I realized that I can't be the only one annoyed by the arbitrary nature of The Tides

This. Given the importance of the mechanics, everything should be more transparent. *Your gold tide increased by a tiny amount*. Oh, really? What I’m supposed to do with this information? Do I have a way to track this in my character screen? Nope. The main problem is that tides should affect the way people react to you, but you have no indicator when this is happening and if this is happening. So the game can be a paradise of reactivity and it would still look linear. Tides. What a shitty terminology. Blue tide means reason. So call it reason for fuck sake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom