Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wonder who won the best RPG of the year from PC Gamer?: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpg-2018-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/

Best RPG 2018: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obsidian's seafaring sequel dazzled us with a great world and fantastic quest design this year.

C3qapE2aLYNVPm4UwaZcfJ-320-80.png

Our best RPG of 2018 award goes to Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity 2. It got fewer nominations than the other winners this year, but the staff members who voted for it made it clear how passionate they are about the game. Don't forget to check out the rest of our GOTY picks and personal picks as they happen.

Andy K: In terms of writing, quest design, and world-building, Obsidian is at the top of its game in Deadfire. This nautical sequel continues the story established in the first Pillars, but is standalone enough that you can dive into it without any prior knowledge. And what a grand adventure it is, making you a ship captain and letting you sail the deadly, alluring waters of the tropical Deadfire Archipelago. For the most part this is a classic Infinity Engine-style RPG, with reams of vivid, descriptive text, enchanted items with lengthy descriptions, dungeon diving, and magical beasts. But being able to crew and maintain a ship, and sail freely between islands, gives it a compelling seafaring twist.

Compared to the green and leafy Dyrwood, the relatively familiar fantasy setting of the original game, the Deadfire is a beguiling, strange, alien place, and uncovering its well-realised culture, politics, and history makes spending time there a delight. There are dozens of rounded, interesting characters to meet on your journey, quests that start small then spiral into something wild and unexpected, and a whole lot of deep, tactical combat to indulge in. The standout moment has to be Fort Deadlight, which sees you setting some amusing Hitman-inspired traps to get revenge on a villainous pirate.

Steven: What I love the most about Deadfire isn't the excellent story, characters, and writing, but how smart Obsidian has gotten at being able to distill all that information in a way that doesn't require me to keep a lore wiki open in the background. Pillars of Eternity was an intimidating game to get into, in part because it front-loaded every bit of dialogue with proper nouns and slang that I didn't understand. Deadfire does the same, but handy tooltips give you useful bits of context when you need them, so I'm spending less time rifling through a journal and more time enjoying what's happening on screen.

Fraser: Pillars of Eternity was a fantastic CRPG that managed to be a lot more than nostalgia fodder, but it still generally stayed within the lines, with the Infinity Engine games serving as a cornerstone. Deadfire is bolder. Sure, the systems are familiar, but the setting, tone and absurdly broad roleplaying options help it escape the shadow of Baldur’s Gate 2 and the rest of the gang. It’s a freewheeling pirate adventure, a sometimes unsettling story about colonialism and conquest, and even when it delves into the familiar fantasy realm of gods and prophecy, it always leaves the door open to something unexpected.

I felt like I was playing with a DM rather than just playing through adventures written by people miles away months and possibly years ago. From the get-go, I had a character in mind, and Obsidian let me play him without any concessions. It felt like genuine roleplaying; I wasn’t just picking the closest out of a couple of options. It realised, for instance, that there might be several good reasons for me, a foul pirate, to do a seemingly nice things and noble quests, giving me appropriate choices for a shitty person. I never had to stomach any dissonance just to experience a quest.

COczv4o.gif

2house2fly

Magister
I don't have time nor patience to play this fuckin' garbage, someone spoil the plot of the DLC for me now.
You go into a temple built at the edge of the buried body of the god Wael. It contains a big preservatory where the Hand Occult studies specimens and conducts experiments, as well as a big library with, I believe, one of every book from both games in it, and a bunch of new ones which hint at more backstory- though there are also some clearly false ones, like one which claims Eder was the man possessed by Eothas who "The Ten" confronted at Evon Dewr, so who knows how much of it is true. You meet a man who was apparently one of the Archmages' Circle until a few years ago, when he was kidnapped and imprisoned by the Hand; he now escapes to find his name removed from the world, and even the memories of people who knew him. He doesn't believe you are the Watcher of Caed Nua, because at the time he was imprisoned the Watcher of Caed Nua was Maerwald. Depending on the order you tackle the sections of the dungeon in, he will kill the archmage Maura and confront you, or Maura will be infested by spores and he will escape while she fights you. You are assaulted by a being called the Oracle Of Wael partway through the dungeon, which attacks you for trespassing. You beat it up and it retreats while telling you to go away, after which you descend into the body of Wael itself for the final section of the DLC. The end of the DLC looks like it'll involve a decision over what to do with the body of Wael- the archmages Tayn and Llengrath argue over what to do with it and ending slide pictures suggest you can give control of it to the forgotten archmage Fyonlecg, the luminous spore infesting the temple, your pet Concelhaut, or Wael itself. Depending on your choices, the body of Wael may be used to attack Eothas at Ukaizo- though from what I've heard the body goes on to destroy the Wheel anyway. I don't yet know how the Crown Of Woedica which you can finally assemble in this DLC has to do with anything.

How can you have trouble with anything below Veteran (or even below PotD), though. Are some people not using any abilities at all or something?
Before release some guy in a roman centurion outfit was streaming the game, and he played exactly like this. He was building up wounds with his monk and focus with his cipher and didn't use a fucking ability at any point. It was madness.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I was lukewarm to many of the god challenges, but I am about to start a PotD game with all of them enabled. This is going to be lulzy or awful...or both.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Christ, the the Galawain challenge is no joke. A random beetle I wrote off had constant regeneration, and every time I was about to hit the killing blow my guys missed, which allowed it to heal back up. With Wael's challenge, I had no idea the fucker had that. Should have killed him first.

Magran's challenge is one of the better imo (no pause). I am tempted to take off the the Wael or Woedica challenge. The Woedica challenge would not be bad, if I knew what buffs the creatures had.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter

Based and balancepilled

Christ, the the Galawain challenge is no joke. A random beetle I wrote off had constant regeneration, and every time I was about to hit the killing blow my guys missed, which allowed it to heal back up. With Wael's challenge, I had no idea the fucker had that. Should have killed him first.

Magran's challenge is one of the better imo (no pause). I am tempted to take of the the Wael or Woedica challenge. The Woedica challenge would not be bad, if I knew what buffs the creatures had.

Galawain's challenge is a good idea though. Makes the game pretty replayable by not making it feel too repetitive.

Seethe

Arbiter
AwesomeButton

Do you think Woedica's challenge would be an enjoyable experience? Would not spamming same spells 16 times per combat make the game feel more sparse with its active abilities thus less spammy?

It just makes you rest after every single battle. Maybe used in conjunction with the Eothas challenge, it would actually change something.

Efe

Erudite
if it was properly balanced for the existing per encounter abilities, wouldnt woedica challenge be a train wreck

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Everytime I try to replace Maia I always fails. Her subclass is way better than any Ranger subclass available for the player, and that's after they nerfed her once. She can deal almost as much damage as my main character, which is insane.

Maia is a very good NPC. But it's not like she can compete DPS-wise with a dual hand mortar Streetfighter/Sharpshooter.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
The more I play through the game with god challenges, the more I wonder why Obsidian did not just make these general features. For example, I would love if Galawain's challenge applied to all creatures and not just animals. Similarly, I think Abydons, Skaen, Rymrands (spelling?), and Eothas' challenges would have livened up the base game significantly. Wael's challenge can go fuck itself though...hard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there any impressions yet from people who have played the game with just the Woedica challenge mode?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom