Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

2house2fly

Magister
The same way New Vegas is based on Las Vegas

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Started a new playthrough as blood mage and I'm really enjoying it. Even with average Might, Blood Sacrifice doesn't hurt too much. Being able to recall spells is insanely useful for early game. (I mean it's always useful but later on with GoVW and some empower points vanilla wizard can somewhat catch up.)

[Edit]: Galawain's challenge is fun. Are the buffs really random or do they depend on the creature type? I got invisible boars and damage reflecting bats. Other challenges don't look very interesting except, maybe, Ondra's.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Is dex the new dumpstat for non-casters in turnbased mode?
Really feels like they made a mistake making it per-round instead of frequency of turns being based on initiative.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think this tablet is supposed to spawn on the bookshelf in Rinco's house, lads.

This is at the start of the game, I just walked into Rinco's home and looted the shelves in house and came across an Engwithan tablet that discloses the secret of Engwithan machinery and Gods.

Pretty much no one but The Watcher can read Engwithan.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any tips for playing Ascendant on POTD? As I get higher in levels I'm struggling to max out my focus once in a battle :M

Get some good guns. My no. 1. recommendation is Kitchen Stove from the old city questline. Enchant it with Thunderous Report (1/per encounter) and aim the cone well (as enemies close to engage, but haven't arrived yet). This should typically lead to instant Ascension. Then get a Cleric to cast Salvation of Time on you.
A decent backup for a second Ascension is Amira's Wing rod from Amira's roost ruins on a south-western island. It casts horrid wilting or whats-it-called, unfortunately only once per rest.

Red Hand from Neketaka is a good general purpose backup. Target squishy enemies with it.

Rev

Arcane
I was replaying the game to try out the new turn-based mode. Am I mistaken or they did make all the enemies HP bloats now? Or they just replaced them with tougher versions (like, instead of a young boar you get the adult one)? They also appear to be more than they were before.
I'm on hard, which was piss easy back when the game was released. I'm glad they tried to make it harder because it was too easy before, but it seems they choose the lazy way to do it.

Turn-based mode is kind of ok, btw. But it's a game made with RTwP in mind and that's the way it plays best. But considering turn-base is in beta I guess it will get better over time.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's not the turn-base mode. They touched up all the encounters since the release because the game was steamroll at launch with no challenge provided whatsoever.

Play on POTD, that's how the encounters are actually intended. Everything else is just taking away enemies.

Mazisky

Magister
I don't think this tablet is supposed to spawn on the bookshelf in Rinco's house, lads.

20190130234525-1.jpg

20190130234515-1.jpg

This is at the start of the game, I just walked into Rinco's home and looted the shelves in house and came across an Engwithan tablet that discloses the secret of Engwithan machinery and Gods.

Happy they changed his name in my version because Rinco means Retard in my language.

Josh if ur emulating a language\culture better find better names next time.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm glad they tried to make it harder because it was too easy before, but it seems they choose the lazy way to do it.
Yes, you've got it right.

It's not the turn-base mode. They touched up all the encounters since the release because the game was steamroll at launch with no challenge provided whatsoever.
They touched them up on top of fixing a bug that was serving the Normal difficulty encounters at all difficulty settings.

Play on POTD, that's how the encounters are actually intended. Everything else is just taking away enemies.
Good luck taking down the young drake on PotD or Veteran with a party of Eder, Xoti and yourself, whether on TB or RtwP.

Happy they changed his name in my version because Rinco means Retard in my language.
It's most probably not on Josh. The narrative designers (sic) are running a misandry campaign throughout the whole game.

Rev

Arcane

Yeah, it was way too easy at d1, as I said. I played at hard and basically all the encounters were very easy, with the sole exception of the fampyrs (and I fought them after a patch that turned up the difficulty a bit, otherwise maybe they'd still be quite easy).

But now, I was with my three men party in the ruins at the beginning and I was faced with 3-4 boars (including an adult one with two skulls above its name) and like three wurms. Beyond them there's a group of enemies consisting of basically the same monsters but with an added drake on top.
I mean, it's not impossible, but it's a bit lazy on Obsidian's part imo.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Good luck taking down the young drake on PotD or Veteran with a party of Eder, Xoti and yourself, whether on TB or RtwP.

What are you talking about? You can easily do that combat on Veteran with yourself Eder and Xoti. Just walk up the ramp and make a choke point, use cinder bombs and few scrolls. It's not even that hard.

20181230171858-1.jpg

It just takes some bombs and scrolls to get through it on veteran, not even really that challenging.

It's doable even on POTD although after rerolling so many times I don't want to bother with it again so I just hire a druid. It's only real hard because of the boars too, which can kill Eder if he gets hit by two of them at the same time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Drake fight is possible on PotD with only Eder and Xoti, I did it but don't recommend it, it's entirely RNG whether you succeed or not. It will also be easier if you are a Wizard or Druid (or both). My Xoti was Monk/Priest, but I think it would've been easier if she was only a Priest, since I only used her for healing and the occasional ranged shot.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Drake fight is possible on PotD with only Eder and Xoti, I did it but don't recommend it, it's entirely RNG whether you succeed or not. It will also be easier if you are a Wizard or Druid (or both). My Xoti was Monk/Priest, but I think it would've been easier if she was only a Priest, since I only used her for healing and the occasional ranged shot.
Why work so hard, just run around the arena.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's what I've always been doing. A bit hit-or-miss, but doable with some patience (real time mode I mean).
Of course it was considerably easier when my main char was a cipher.

One of the very rare instances that I burn trough consumables in a crpg. Not that it ever happened again in PoE2. And those resources are rather... trivial to rebuild.

2house2fly

Magister
Started a new playthrough as blood mage and I'm really enjoying it. Even with average Might, Blood Sacrifice doesn't hurt too much. Being able to recall spells is insanely useful for early game. (I mean it's always useful but later on with GoVW and some empower points vanilla wizard can somewhat catch up.)

[Edit]: Galawain's challenge is fun. Are the buffs really random or do they depend on the creature type? I got invisible boars and damage reflecting bats. Other challenges don't look very interesting except, maybe, Ondra's.
if I remember right, a random buff is applied to all creatures of a certain type. So you'll get all the pigs able to turn invisible, all the wurms have extra hp, etc

user

Savant
Should I start a solo wiz playthrough on turn-based or will I be pulling my hair out as soon as I miss with spells and 18 per for 5 rounds straight? I guess it should be harder on TB overall?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom