Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Only played an hour so far, but combat is confusing. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, just like Souls, but damn. It seems finicky as hell, right now. On first impression it strikes me as, "Dark Souls: Riposte Edition." All riposte, all the time.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, no. Gankfest: the game is bad. No options, boring story, boring dialogue, parry-bait combat system = shit game. This one makes Nioh look like a MASTERPIECE, since at least I bothered to finish that one.

But Sekiro's bethesda-tier stealth combined with garbage combat simply makes for a very unfun time. I should've recorded footage of my "stealth" adventures, it's fucking Oblivion-tier, with dudes sometimes ignoring me while right beside them and other times spotting me on a rooftop with no provocation.

The Surge and Shadow of Mordor > this. Yep, that's how low Sekiro stands.

OH, and the bosses are BEYOND uninspired. It's like they just went "fuck it, let's add SAMURAIDUDE#16545310351 into the mix and call it a day".

I wish I could refund my bandwidth. :smug:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Maybe it will be patched, but AI is legit retarded. If you are in stealth, sometimes half enemies will see you, while others won't even when right in front of you. Kind of wonky.

Otherwise, game runs in 4k on Max settings at steady 60fps, so can't complain about that. Although, graphics are basically no better than Dark Souls 3.

Seethe

Arbiter
AI won't get patched. They're barely different than from other souls game. Harder to exploit the "pull enemies one by one" tactic compared to the other entries, but I doubt they'll change it from how it is.

Anyway, if you think that this game has bad combat, you probably have stones for brains. If you compare it to the souls series and think it's worse, you have shit for brains, not stones for brains. Finally feels more like swordfighting, than having an armored knight roll like a fucking retard in full plate, i-framing every single attack and senselessly mashing basic attack to stagger the enemy. At least BB's dashing didn't look like crap. And on top of that, you also have both dodge and jump and parry as viable and necessary combat mechanics. Fighting that nameless guy in purple at the three story pagoda that kicks you all over the place is some of the most intense shit I've felt by fighting in a video game.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think I just need time to get used to the style of game being different to Souls/Bloodborne. Trying not to be a boomer and dismiss the game because it's different.

Jinn

Arcane
I think I just need time to get used to the style of game being different to Souls/Bloodborne. Trying not to be a boomer and dismiss the game because it's different.

Keep at it and be patient. You're going to find a beautiful game if you do.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I was wondering why the fuck all bosses have so much health !?

Then I remember that several hours ago I rang the Demon Bell. FML. What a retard.

PS. The world design is excellent but I still don't feel the combat. I rely on kitting.

Edit: To be honest, I do find a lot of items. But the bosses definitely have more health and maybe I take more damage (!?)

It looks like I can reverse the effects :)

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
but I still don't feel the combat. I rely on kitting.

The game gives you the option to very slowly and methodically deal with minor foes, but learning how to efficiently navigate combat is essentially synonymous with learning how to play this game. I would urge you to force yourself into uncomfortable combat situations and stop relying on kitting. It's going to help you with not only regular exploration encounters, but bosses in general. The only way you will feel this combat is if you learn it. Kiting can sometimes be an efficient strategy itself, but not the majority of the time.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
but I still don't feel the combat. I rely on kitting.

The game gives you the option to very slowly and methodically deal with minor foes, but learning how to efficiently navigate combat is essentially synonymous with learning how to play this game. I would urge you to force yourself into uncomfortable combat situations and stop relying on kitting. It's going to help you with not only regular exploration encounters, but bosses in general. The only way you will feel this combat is if you learn it. Kiting can sometimes be an efficient strategy itself, but not the majority of the time.

Nice theory.

I just beat Juzou The Drunkard and it took me like 20+ tries. I've tried to parry him but it never worked ... and I died like a bitch because one hit = death.

Also he required like 30+ hits for one life (maybe less without Demon Bell). TLDR: I want to use the combat mechanics but until now the game doesn't really allow it. See below.

Chained Ogre - no parry/fire
General Naomori Kawarada - parry [optional]
General Tenzen Yamauchi - parry [optional]
Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa - no parry/grappling hook/attrition

Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen - must parry
Blazing Bull - no parry/attrition
Juzou The Drunkard - no parry/attrition

I assume that there will be other bosses which will require actual skills instead of attrition.

Jinn

Arcane
Nice theory.

You're not going to beat any of those bosses without skill, if skill means understanding and being decent-to-good with the mechanics of the game.

Juzou took me about 8 tries and I fought him without stealth attacking him to start it off for one HP bar, and he most certainly did not kill me in one hit. Are you doing normal blocks along with trying to time your left button timed clash?

Chained Ogre required fire, yes. Can't fault the game for trying to teach the player through gameplay that some enemies are weaker to certain items and prosthetics than others.

Naomori Kawarada was also a learning boss, but a fun one at that. The battle doesn't even last that long without Mikiri Counter once you become accustom to it. What's wrong with that?

General Tenzen Yamauchi was one of the most heart-racing mini-boss battles for me yet. Timing those sword clashes and getting that Mikiri Counter down was extremely satisfying. Again, skill based within the confines of the game.

Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa: Again, once becoming accustom to this battle, it doesn't take that long to do some serious damage, especially while using the Axe prosthetic and the Fang and Blade skill. Again, skill based and completely satisfying once you start clashing swords and wearing down his posture, which also doesn't take long. Didn't manage a Mikiri Counter, but didn't need too.

Shinobi Hunter: yeah, you pretty much need Mikiri Counter to take this on. Again I would say this is a learning battle. This is a new game with a lot of different things to teach, and this was a fun way to learn how to master the Mikiri Counter with longer range melee weapons.

Blazing Bull: Just fighting now, so can't comment.

Again, if you're just whittling the majority of these down with attrition, you have some things to become adept with still. However, even the attrition you speak of requires a great deal of skill.

lady butterfly is triggering me hard, her first phase is a cake walk but the 2nd with her butterfly shuriken annoy the fuck out of me

She is terrifying.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Easily beat Lady Butterfly's 2nd form when I didn't attack at all and just deflect when she has those butterfly shurikens, I kept going in for hits while deflecting like normal but there is a delay on those things and it's better to just back off for 5 seconds. Also I beat the bull after her and was honestly dreading based on accounts I've read but he was pretty simple. I used the firecrackers maybe twice as a way to escape fuckery but otherwise you can stand in front of him and deflect his attacks pretty easily..

Not sure where to go now though, I've gone down the different paths and found 3 new areas and shrines (and opened door from one of them back to the castle) Not sure what to tackle next, one of those side paths or go into the sky to fight those crowboiz

Cromwell

Arcane
This Thread is confusing. On one hand people complain about having to parry (me included) on the other hand I know for a fact that bosses (or minibosses) like the drunkard were easy and you definetly dont need to parry the shinobi hunter for example.

Give him one stealth attack at the start to erase one life go back to the bridge to avoid adding enemies you may not have killed before hand (you should kill at least the guy on the bridge and the bowman that stands next to him near the grass.). At the bridge you fight him normally if you cant pull of the thrust evasion reliable (I couldnt) just axe him in the back after he attacked and slided forward so youre standing behind him. 3-4- axes will break his posture. I think I managed to pull of mikiri a few times in my tries but it did not rely on it.

I am currently suffering with lady butterfly, got her to second phase now.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I made over 50 runs to the purple guy. Fume knight has got nothing on this guy, and he's not even a boss. The difficulty in this game is unbelievable. Over 350+ hours in Dark Souls don't help at all.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Lady butterfly is my favorite boss so far. However, in Ashina Reservoir, I can't defeat the Seven-Spears-something general with a long spear-sword thing. Can't even read his attacks. He's in front of the tower where you get your sword in the beginning of the game.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I made over 50 runs to the purple guy. Fume knight has got nothing on this guy, and he's not even a boss. The difficulty in this game is unbelievable. Over 350+ hours in Dark Souls don't help at all.
Because the combat system is different. If you parried all the time in Soulsborne you would have an easier time here. I never parried and this system is based on parrying.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does anyone here or elsewhere even know for sure how all the mechanics work? Everywhere I hear wildly conflicting takes which gives me the impression that the game either doesn't tell you everything of importance or made some big core mistakes, or people are not using all the tools at their disposal (or saying you can just faceroll through anyways). Are there any higher NG+-like difficulty settings?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Did about 10 tries. I'm guessing you need some special skill for him. Trying to just parry him isn't happening, he'll literally kick your arse.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Even with mikiri skill, this purple dude is bullshit. From are abusing delayed attacks again.

Shinobi hunter is much easier, for some reason.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Beat horse first try.

25spzxs.png

Holy shit I'm still shaking. I almost shat myself and I almost lost (I think) because I stabbed him second time, started whooping and then noticed you have to stab him third time? Almost didn't make it. What happens if you don't, he just runs free again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom