Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
lady butterfly is triggering me hard, her first phase is a cake walk but the 2nd with her butterfly shuriken annoy the fuck out of me
When I gave up on trying to parry her I just went full HAM and realized that the AI didn't know how to cope with that, so I just stunlocked her to death. Occasionally she'd try to jump up in the air but when you throw a shuriken she'll fall down and then you can just continue stunlocking her. It works on both phases.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- Discovered my first secret wall. Nice
Do you press cross or attack them?

It's a "shrug the wall" type of deal. You get a hint in the small underground room right next to the Dilapidated Temple.
Problem is I noticed something on the wall that looked like a unique marker and thought "nice, from now on I will recognize secret walls". Sadly it was an one off. The same exact marker didn't do anything next time.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The bull is a shit boss. It doesn't help that I have wasted all my anti fire consumables, and can't find anywhere to purchase them.

Cromwell

Arcane
When I gave up on trying to parry her I just went full HAM and realized that the AI didn't know how to cope with that, so I just stunlocked her to death. Occasionally she'd try to jump up in the air but when you throw a shuriken she'll fall down and then you can just continue stunlocking her. It works on both phases.

normally she should kick you in the face after the third hit. I found that attacking two times and then sidestepping works (mostly) and of course shurikens like you mentioned, I even bought the chasing slice skill just to follow up as a gap closer after throwing her off the lines. I still have problems following up in phase two since she moves farther away from you and I get fucked by the butterflies. Did anyone try the shuriken upgrade against her or in general?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

normally she should kick you in the face after the third hit. I found that attacking two times and then sidestepping works (mostly) and of course shurikens like you mentioned, I even bought the chasing slice skill just to follow up as a gap closer after throwing her off the lines. I still have problems following up in phase two since she moves farther away from you and I get fucked by the butterflies. Did anyone try the shuriken upgrade against her or in general?
Upgraded Shurikens that hit multiple times work against weak enemies that are easily dealt with anyway. Against anyone else they'll just be deflected and take a tiny amount of stance damage, i.e it's fairly useless (but you have to take it anyway to unlock the other upgrades). Maybe their damage is dependent on your Attack Power and it can get better later, but at 3 AP it's nothing that great in most situations.

Cromwell

Arcane
Upgraded Shurikens that hit multiple times work against weak enemies that are easily dealt with anyway. Against anyone else they'll just be deflected and take a tiny amount of stance damage, i.e it's fairly useless (but you have to take it anyway to unlock the other upgrades).

are we talking about skills or gear upgrade? I meant the gear upgrade for 3k sen that makes kunais out of your shurikens. Because I dont know what the upgrade does it only tells me that I get butterflies kunais instead of shurikens if I buy the upgrade.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Upgraded Shurikens that hit multiple times work against weak enemies that are easily dealt with anyway. Against anyone else they'll just be deflected and take a tiny amount of stance damage, i.e it's fairly useless (but you have to take it anyway to unlock the other upgrades).

are we talking about skills or gear upgrade? I meant the gear upgrade for 3k sen that makes kunais out of your shurikens. Because I dont know what the upgrade does it only tells me that I get butterflies kunais instead of shurikens if I buy the upgrade.
The spinning shuriken is a tool upgrade.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So how good would you people say the game is right now?
I'm still in the process of trying to force myself to like it, but I'm close to giving up.. so, I'd say maybe beware? It's not a terrible game but it does double down on some of the most infuriating design aspects of the more recent Souls games (the insane tracking that enemies have with most of their attacks is the worst offender for me). It's not a game for everyone and it's difficult to quantify that without trying it for yourself.

Gerrard

Arcane
There's something weird going on with the journo reviews, especially from cuck sites like Polygon, from what I've seen this game is hard as fuck, and these are the same people who have trouble completing a tutorial.

PrettyDeadman

There's something weird going on with the journo reviews, especially from cuck sites like Polygon, from what I've seen this game is hard as fuck, and these are the same people who have trouble completing a tutorial.
Polygon hired some profesisonal gamers long ago. Their Sekiro gameplay for example is perfect parrying for an hour straight.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So how good would you people say the game is right now?

THIS MUCH better than DS3.

Other Soulsborns are better IMO, mainly because they're RPGs with stats, builds and gear.

I wonder about this game's replayability. Is there NG+? And does Miyazaki still insist that NG+ has to be as boring as possible?

God damn this game opened up after Ashina Castle. I have right know at least 3 big ass locations
Senpou Temple, Ashina Depths, Sunken Valley
to explore and i am getting my ass handed to me fucking everywhere. I left some bosses and mini-bosses for later cause one fucking asshole with big ass spear seems unbeatable for me right now. I cant consistently read between his spear thrust/sweeps and bastard has fuckton hp/poise and range on his spear is some first class bullshit :argh: fuck this faggot:negative:

I found some awesome looking location called
Gun Fort
with some ridicules pathway to get there only to get simultaneously headshot by 20 fucking snipers :lol: FromSoft managed to make new puzzle boss quite fun and challenging but rage inducing at the same time when you fail. The
second sword
you get after is not only for cut-scene kills. Anyone complaining about generic sengoku era setting should visit monks temple. Side quests seem less random and convoluted than those from Dark Souls 3. I met some shady looking fucker in
Abandoned Dungeon
who asked me to deliver to him someone for scientific experiments. Not long after i met near the prologue well some confused nibba samurai. Told him to go to the first guy. Seems like he might not survive the medical experiments ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The purple ninja guy from Hirata estate was hard but once i got timing to his kicks he was dead meat. I have right now 8 prosthetic tools and some of them feel very situational but on the other hand they change some of the fights to trivial shit. In Ashina Castle i was having problems with regular samurais and their bullshit Iaito attacks. So i spammed R2 with Sabimaru and poisoned them to death. Loaded spears R2+R2 lets you pull enemies towards you which helped a lot with those feather fuckers on rooftops.

Impressions after 15 hours: this game is fucking huge with multiple paths and fuckton of shit to do. Like Hirata estate + Ashina castle until horseman boss fight feels like nothing more than a prologue. Jouzu the Drunkard is piss easy shit compared to later stuff

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
10 hours in, not entirely sold on the stealth mechanics. I mean it IS fun to instagib fools but ultimately it feels like it cheapens the whole game.

The fat boys are case in point - what a waste of a potentially good mob. I just sprint away if I'm discovered, come back later and try to instagib them. Which feels incredibly lame, constantly running away like a bitch. The big boys are doable 1v1 but they're SO much pain in the dick. How about scrapping stealth and making some mobs a bit more manageable? Eh.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
one fucking asshole with big ass spear seems unbeatable for me right now. I cant consistently read between his spear thrust/sweeps and bastard has fuckton hp/poise and range on his spear is some first class bullshit :argh: fuck this faggot:negative:

The spear general? Yep, FUCK this idiot. Even when I do read his thrust by some miracle and mikiri counter him, it does fuck all poise damage and the little it does he recovers in like 0,5 seconds. I mean what the fuck.

There was this cool fight on the wooden bridge against
armored knight
. You have to poise break him cause he does not take any health damaged. So after +10 tries i got the hang of it. Finally managed to land a deathblow only to see that fucker recovers cause you have to
let him destroy the balcony railing and only than do the deathblow to push him of the edge
. Obviously he proceeded to rape me for the next hour :negative:

Nathir

Liturgist
Finally beat the seven spears guy. It turns out if you Mikiri counter him he just staggers you with his glove and goes into a counterattack (still takes posture damage tho), I couldn't do it the regular way so I cheesed him. First point I removed via stealth then I just drew him to the top of the nearby stairs while I jumped down. He was doing attacks which couldn't hit me while I was jumping after safe moves and got 2 aerial hits in. After his vitality hit 0 he insta staggered and I went for the kill. Only took half an hour.
:troll:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I noticed that holding down the attack button lets you do an unblockable charge attack which enemies can't block, and holding down attack while holding down block lets you do a charge attack with a different animation, though I wouldn't know what makes it any different from the regular one. In any case useful for chipping down enemy health and their posture regen.

Sentinel

Arcane
There was this cool fight on the wooden bridge against
armored knight
. You have to poise break him cause he does not take any health damaged. So after +10 tries i got the hang of it. Finally managed to land a deathblow only to see that fucker recovers cause you have to
let him destroy the balcony railing and only than do the deathblow to push him of the edge
. Obviously he proceeded to rape me for the next hour :negative:
you can use the spear double R2 move to wear down his armor.

holding down attack while holding down block lets you do a charge attack with a different animation, though I wouldn't know what makes it any different
Some combat art skills (L1+R1) have a charge attack version. You probably have one of those equipped.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Sekiro is so much more fun than Dark Souls. Really hope they use Sekiro as a template for future titles. Tried Dark Souls 1 and 3 and never enjoyed them because I died constantly.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom