Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ulrox

Arbiter
I think we'd all have been happier gamers if BioWare had kept on co-developing isometric D&D games throughout the 2000s alongside third party studios (actually the old Neverwinter Nights premium modules can be seen as a failed attempt at doing this)

Bioware had been happier too. They were easy to make compared to modern games, and they sold well.

John Keel

Savant
Just a reminder, according to Sven, tons of ppl at Larian didnt know/understand why getting BG licence was a big fucking deal.

If that's not a major red flag ...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are no clear cut information. We have basically nothing which you extrapolate and make up shit that this will be Mass Effect or DA: Inquisition.

We have a lack of specific information that was always the part of the original games, which should have been provided if they decided to take that approach. Especially since they have been working on a game for couple of years already.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are no clear cut information. We have basically nothing which you extrapolate and make up shit that this will be Mass Effect or DA: Inquisition.

We have a lack of specific information that was always the part of the original games, which should have been provided if they decided to take that approach. Especially since they have been working on a game for couple of years already.
Look, I'm dead certain that it won't be like Pillars of Eternity (which is the closest we have to BG regarding presentation and gameplay), but do you really think that the only other option is that they will go to the polar opposite of the spectrum and make Mass Effect? Really? There is no middle ground?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Another choice quote from an article already talked about in this thread but this one part seems to have eluded the local attention span :
This is one of the first games we've heard about it being on Google Stadia. Can you tell us about how it's going to work on an unknown platform like that?

SV: It's not so unknown for us [laughs]. We've been at it for some time. The thing about Stadia is that it's going to be accessible to anybody, at least if you have Stadia services within the country where you are. It's going to allow you to play the game at really high settings on a very shitty PC, which is going to solve one of the problems that we have with this game because the production values are so high. We've always tried to make the games fairly low specs, so that solves that.

By the gods, if this turns out to be TB, no matter whether it's a good or bad game, this would be the unlikeliest first in history.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-baldurs-gate-3-wants-to-do-what-no-other-r/1100-6467440/

edit:

I hope they were atleast forced to complete bg1 - 2 ToB 25 times.

SV: The previous Baldur's Gate games were based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.
:smug:
Maybe not even trialling for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just a reminder, according to Sven, tons of ppl at Larian didnt know/understand why getting BG licence was a big fucking deal.

If that's not a major red flag ...

Didn't the writers for the Cainarsky game have no idea about retarded dialogue for low INT characters in Fallout?. Fucking millienials. It's like when I was younger and still working on building sites, we'd do a job out in the countryside (with no power) and you'd get carpenters that didn't know how to use any hand tools. Learn where the foundations of your craft are you retards. :argh:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All I'm saying that without ANY information

This is exactly my point, you have information. You just don't like what it indicates.
We have information, you just decide to ignore it.

Because if they are going for traditional TB or RTwP there is 0 reason not to tell it. After all speaking about a sequel of a franchise, people would expect similar gameplay, at least the implementation of PnP to video games. There is no reason not to say that the game will be RTwP.

The fact that they are avoiding it means that they have a "surprise." The interview with that guy from WOTC somewhat implies that the game will be accessible to common market gamers ("playing DnD in term of lore and story but not actually committing to play PnP", I am kinda paraphrasing here). That pretty much close the possibility of Turn Based. WOTC from their modern video games adaptation barring SoD have always go to a game accessible to common masses. It is pretty clear for a while that they want to make DnD a mainstream setting for video games, not some niche product.

Best case they will do it like Dragon Age Origins, over the shoulder normal gameplay with tactical camera. They might still be able to implement a ruleset somewhat by using this. Worst case for now that it will be action to action RPG.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron I don't think I catch your meaning - how is a 3rd party making a (presumably) better version of the parent studio's IP a key difference from what I posted? That Larian dreck is resulting in promising-looking spin offs?

Yeah, that's cool. I'm all for good games. I don't see how it relates to my quoted post tho.

edit: just saw Kyl Von Kull 's post. That's a good point, except they (Larian) aren't the ones making it. But it keeps the brand in people's mind, that's for sure.

Well it's co-developed by Larian.

I think we'd all have been happier gamers if BioWare had kept on co-developing isometric D&D games throughout the 2000s alongside third party studios (actually the old Neverwinter Nights premium modules can be seen as a failed attempt at doing this)
Come on man, co-developed? I'm sure Larian are playing an advisory role in terms of lore and engine capabilities, much like Bethesda did when they "co-developed" New Vegas, but what are we to make of that? That Larian is to be treated differently because they're supporting better versions of their own IP? That's an interesting line of reasoning, although back-handed from Larian's point of view I'm sure.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Look, I'm dead certain that it won't be like Pillars of Eternity (which is the closest we have to BG regarding presentation and gameplay), but do you really think that the only other option is that they will go to the polar opposite of the spectrum and make Mass Effect? Really? There is no middle ground?
I havent made any such specific assumptions but the options are limited. I highly doubt they will go RtwP because of Deadfire, but if they wont use TB and "isometric" PoV what does that leave you with?
If i would just guess i would say probably an open world game (because Witcher3) and some sort of optional zooming out to partial overview because of a party.
I really have no idea, but i know that if it was TB they would say so - especially because DoS games were such a success. Its not like anyone would dislike that.

Also guys, that pr shit about Stadia being available for everyone?

Players will have to pay $129.99 up front and $9.99 a month, on top of individual game purchase costs, when Google's previously announced Stadia game-streaming service launches in November. A free tier will be available some time in 2020, as will a paid subscription tier that doesn't require the upfront purchase.

Sometime next year, Google says it plans to roll out a free tier of Stadia service, called Stadia Base. Users on this tier will be limited to 1080p, 60fps streams with stereo sound.

Google is now recommending users have at least a 10mbps Internet connection to use Stadia. With that connection, users can expect to run games "at least" at 720p and 60 frames per second. Pro users who want the highest-end streaming experience should have a connection of at least 35mbps,

Thats not for most of you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on man, co-developed? I'm sure Larian are playing an advisory role in terms of lore and engine capabilities, much like Bethesda did when they "co-developed" New Vegas, but what are we to make of that? That Larian is to be treated differently because they're supporting better versions of their own IP? That's an interesting line of reasoning, although back-handed from Larian's point of view I'm sure.

You can read about what they're doing here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...oper-logic-artists.126857/page-3#post-6070991

Anyway I don't mean to make more of it than what it is. I mean, they're not even calling Fallen Heroes an RPG, it's just a tactics game. But it is a difference - a sign that turn-based isn't being totally abandoned. That's something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom