Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
meanwhile hivemind :
il_340x270.1753930530_au0r.jpg

Agender people are cool.

Quillon

Arcane
That excited Haitian dude interviews Mateusz:

Skills will unlock dialogue options.

There seems to be nothing RPG-systems-wise is missing from your typical Obs game, in this :P

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pedestrians is a shitty solution by lazy af developers. It's highly preferable to have 10 times less npcs with all handcrafted than a world full of absurd auto-generated clones.

I just recently played my first Assassin's Creed game when Ubisoft gave Unity away for free, and I am still amazed about the huge number of pedestrians in the city. Granted, you can't talk to most of them either, but they really didn't look too much copy and paste at first sight and they went about their business to make the city seem alive!
I guess you can do that with a development team of 500+ developers working on the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
Pedestrians is a shitty solution by lazy af developers. It's highly preferable to have 10 times less npcs with all handcrafted than a world full of absurd auto-generated clones.

I just recently played my first Assassin's Creed game when Ubisoft gave Unity away for free, and I am still amazed about the huge number of pedestrians in the city. Granted, you can't talk to most of them either, but they really didn't look too much copy and paste at first sight and they went about their business to make the city seem alive!
I guess you can do that with a development team of 500+ developers working on the game.
I mean CDPR is close to that number and take much longer to make witcher 3 & cyberpunk than a typical ass creed game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It makes absolute sense for the world of Cyberpunk to be all over the place sexually and if you have a problem with that it's on you, IMO. That said I hope they don't have NPCs constantly all over my dick whether I flirt with them or not, like some Bioware games do. Keep that shit optional and subtle, both for straights and queers.

Quillon

Arcane
Owned cars auto-driving themselves to V on demand is cool imo, WD2 also had it. And this post is totally related to the one above as that is to the one above it :P

Paul_cz

Arcane

This depends on what you want to portray. Want to portray small village, prison camp, post-apo wasteland? Yes you can have small number of NPCs and each unique and handcrafted with custom dialogue.

Want to portray megalopolis with millions of inhabitants? Then most of them are going to tell you to fuck off when you bother them. Just like in real life!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Again, it is fine if you think it's an action game or whatever, but don't be surprised when others disagree.
I'm not surprised. :salute:
Yeah, meaningful dialogue choices are one distinctive feature. But so are the meaningful choices offered by the RPG's ruleset and combat mechanics. The more meaningful choices in all aspects of the game, the more RPG it is.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Follow the money"

I'm closely following Erik Kain from Forbes, who due to being a Forbes journalist, I consider to be free from the usual influence of companies' advertising budgets. Not that I like the games he likes, or that he doesn't often post about things simply because they are famous. Yet, I haven't seen him comment on social media or in articles, anything whatsoever negative towards CP2077, neither from the "sexism/racism" nor from any other angle.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, meaningful dialogue choices are one distinctive feature. But so are the meaningful choices offered by the RPG's ruleset and combat mechanics. The more meaningful choices in all aspects of the game, the more RPG it is.

Yes no shit, but the point is FPS games like Doom offer mechanics choices and decisions between playstyles now, so unless you want to call Doom an RPG we have to go deeper than that. Dialog/story choices that mean something are one way, and there are others.

"Follow the money"

I'm closely following Erik Kain from Forbes, who due to being a Forbes journalist, I consider to be free from the usual influence of companies' advertising budgets. Not that I like the games he likes, or that he doesn't often post about things simply because they are famous. Yet, I haven't seen him comment on social media or in articles, anything whatsoever negative towards CP2077, neither from the "sexism/racism" nor from any other angle.

Forbes has been crappy for years now

I was talking about pedestrians in some GTAs or The Witcher 3 copy-pasted npcs that lack stats or other features uniqueness OR true procedural generation of those features so in diverse spawning points the same cloned models are present with ZERO diversity or personalization. In some places 4-5 clones can be present together. Moreover, this isn’t the only way to implement generic/non unique npcs: First, there are several games with a limited set of appearance archetypes, but that include personalization in other features as dialogue, stats, loot or name. Other games include true procedural generation for every generic npc in both appearance and stats/dialogue/loot. Finally, some games with some degree of the previous solutions also add many functionalities / game mechanics to generic npcs.

How many has Cyberpunk 2077? More than 400.

Underrail was developed by one guy and has the same amount of unique npcs than TW3. Kenshi was also mostly developed by 1 guy and the thousands of generic npcs are different and not copy-pasted but procedurally generated among a very complex set of features adding also many more functionalities to npcs.

But again, the main problem in TW3 generic npcs (or Mass Effect, or most GTAs) is that generic npcs could be procedurally generated with different looks, stats or loot, and that they can have some type of functionality or interactivity without spend a lot of work or time at all in development.

This depends on what you want to portray. Want to portray small village, prison camp, post-apo wasteland? Yes you can have small number of NPCs and each unique and handcrafted with custom dialogue.

Want to portray megalopolis with millions of inhabitants? Then most of them are going to tell you to fuck off when you bother them. Just like in real life!

Yes, I totally understand and accept the use of irrelevant npcs in some type of games, but it's not necesary for them to be copy-pasted or totally lack interactivity or relevant functionality to the player experience. As in your real life example, non relevant people in your personal story are not clones but people with different appearance and features but less developed or complete in your experience (exactly as som egames do when they procedurally generate different looks, stats or loot) and can be used as tools for simple tasks (as Daggerfall npcs were: Ask for directions, report some crime that you commited, etc).

Include in a game some sort of procedural generation of appearance, stats or items needs far less time or people working than create the most ultra-realistic models, light effects or animations. So maybe is only a problem of focus and preference by developers.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Follow the money"

I can’t believe I watched that video. As if any website needs an excuse to stoke outrage, when outrage so obviously drives engagement and thus ad revenue.

Forbes has a very different audience than something like Polygon or Kotaku—older and way less online. It’s not that they’re free from the need to chase ad revenue, they’re just not targeting the same demographic.

The other thing: Forbes isn’t primarily a gaming publication and being an ancillary part of the organization can sometimes foster good journalism. Maybe it’s because they can be more selective about what they cover, or maybe it’s about a lack of senior editorial oversight. The weirdest example of this is Teen Vogue, which now has surprisingly in-depth coverage of labor issues (for an American magazine), albeit from a hardcore anarcho-syndicalist perspective.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The weirdest example of this is Teen Vogue, which now has surprisingly in-depth coverage of labor issues (for an American magazine), albeit from a hardcore anarcho-syndicalist perspective.

More like a communist one, from what I've seen on Twitter. Get them while they're young I guess, join the party comrade.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Forbes has a very different audience than something like Polygon or Kotaku—older and way less online. It’s not that they’re free from the need to chase ad revenue, they’re just not targeting the same demographic

The other thing: Forbes isn’t primarily a gaming publication and being an ancillary part of the organization can sometimes foster good journalism.
Yes, that's what I was saying.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So if this is a character driven game, why on earth do they barely show any characters?

The only characters we see are Keanu and the protagonist's "best friend", who probably dies during the prologue of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom