Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - REVIEW THREAD!

Gregz

Arcane
felipepepe

Please make sure not to create another list of 70, make it 80 or any other number. This list is a massive decline and it's important to be able to quickly Google the original list and not get this new one. I.e. please do whatever you can to make sure this list comes up as a separate entity from the original Top 50 and Top 70.

Perhaps identify this as RPGCodex poll 2019, and the old one as RPGCodex poll 2014. I'm not very familiar with how things are distinguished in Google's filing system, but please make sure the original poll is not lost or buried beneath this new one.

So you finally had found a method of counting that would exclude oblivion without changing the results? Otsukaresama desu Senpai !

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW:

VyEMNtb.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh, alright. Oblivion gets shit but I do think it deserves a mention, for better or for worse. It was the first RPG for many people and frankly it wasn't completely without merits.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
When I see something like Wasteland ahead of Wasteland 2 I can't help but think this forum is riddled with nostalgia faggots.
This is RPGCodex. We're all nostalgia faggots because we still talk about games from the 90s instead of AAA shovelware like The Last of Us.

Funposter

Arcane
When I see something like Wasteland ahead of Wasteland 2 I can't help but think this forum is riddled with nostalgia faggots.
Alternatively: Wasteland 2 is so mediocre that nobody voting for modern games bothered with it. The games at the bottom of list got like, what, 8 points?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Speaking of which, will it be getting an update any time soon?
Nope. I need the next version to add the games from 2016 to 2019, and you need hindsight for that. Especially in the current era, where the *real* release of a game is the Director's Cut that comes 1-2 after the first release.

2019 looks like a very shitty year so far, but who knows... maybe Outer Wilds, Biomutant or Greedfall will be a huge surprise.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
And you're a retarded newfag with shit taste.

Want to know what MCA's favorite game is?

Sorry, but I don't care about the opinion of some random cuck behind the most overrated RPG of all time, the existence of Fallout 2 (and thus the raping of the franchise thanks to the exacerbation of le wacky wasteland HE is responsible of), and who has claimed rape was too much for Fallout (something along those lines).

The truth is that nostalgia goggles are the cancer killing "best of all time" lists. To rank a game higher just because it was released earlier and thus was more important for its time is retarded. I'm playing games in 2019, not 1988. People back then would have shat their pants at the sight of Wasteland 2, no questions asked.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The truth is that nostalgia goggles are the cancer killing "best of all time" lists. To rank a game higher just because it was released earlier and thus was more important for its time is retarded. I'm playing games in 2019, not 1988. People back then would have shat their pants at the sight of Wasteland 2, no questions asked.
People in 1963 would would have shat their pants looking at the 3D effects of something like Avatar or Transformers. Guess what, Jason and the Argonauts is still a far better movie than those.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You know this list sucks when you check what's ahead of Wizardry 8 ...
And then, you do the same with Dark Sun, WoX, ToEE, M&M VII ...

But retards run the world, i've come to accept that ...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I was thinking, wouldn't 2020 (votes in 2021) be a good time to make the Codex great again and do a Grognards Top 50 ( or 69, why not, for marketing purposes) cRPG of all times made by codexers with prestigious taste rating all the game they've actually played (so no trolls allowed, only a select few willing to get involved) ?

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Don't see why you need to wait till 2020, tough I think grognard games are significantly harder to rank since they take much more time to play. I can't tell you whether a certain game is well designed until I understand how its systems work and see whether the designer utilizes them well. You might think a game is good only to realize every encounter is identical to the first, with only the numbers growing. That's rarely the case with games that deal with the interactive fiction side of RPGs where you can often tell from a few screen shots that the writing is trash. Would still be fun, and I must have missed a few games in that category. Open a new thread for it please.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
People in 1963 would would have shat their pants looking at the 3D effects of something like Avatar or Transformers. Guess what, Jason and the Argonauts is still a far better movie than those.

I haven't seen Jason and the Argonauts, but I have seen plenty of movies from the early 1900's, the 1910s, the 1920s, the 30s, the 40s, the 50s... and pretty much all of them sucked with very few exceptions. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, oh yeah, I shat my pants watching that film... no, it was fucking boring and I laughed out loud at my brother saying we should watch it because it has a 100% score at Rotten Tomatoes.

Guess what, Jason and the Argonauts is still a far better movie than those.

In your opinion. There comes a point where you have to accept that "the minority opinion=/=the better opinion". I have asked myself if the people enjoying Skyrim are retards, or we are the defective human beings because we don't find enjoyment in it. Considering Skyrim appeals to the most basic of enjoyment cycles which any healthy human being should have, I'm inclining for the latter.

Citizen Kane has gone down in history as "the best film ever made", but I guarantee you most of the people who have been "forced" to watch it since then will disagree. I know all of the people I personally know (and myself) disagree. And that's because the film may have been mindblowing back then (I disagree, Gone with the Wind was better), but not any more.

All that said, Wasteland seems to be the big outlier in that list as it was vastly outclassed by what came later, including Wasteland 2. Everything else seems to cater to a particular experience. I'm not sure about the Ultima or M&M games since I have played none of them. Because this is the Codex I don't expect anyone to change their minds, so the only thing I gain out of continuing this discussion is people replying en masse but saying variations of the same (nonsensical) argument.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I haven't seen Jason and the Argonauts, but I have seen plenty of movies from the early 1900's, the 1910s, the 1920s, the 30s, the 40s, the 50s... and pretty much all of them sucked with very few exceptions. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, oh yeah, I shat my pants watching that film... no, it was fucking boring and I laughed out loud at my brother saying we should watch it because it has a 100% score at Rotten Tomatoes.
:despair:

It amazes me that no matter how far I know the rabbit hole of stupidy goes, someone will always find a new way to upset me. Why people waste so much creativity on finding new ways to be stupid?

PEACH

Arbiter
Citizen Kane has gone down in history as "the best film ever made", but I guarantee you most of the people who have been "forced" to watch it since then will disagree. I know all of the people I personally know (and myself) disagree. And that's because the film may have been mindblowing back then (I disagree[...])

tenor.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom