Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Damn I was hoping I was not the only one playing on dominating difficult, guess the codex are just a bunch of suckers that run games on normal now a days.

I've played Underrail on DOMINATING difficulty before.

In 2016, it was called "Crossbows" instead of "DOMINATING."

Sam Bixby

Educated
Damn I was hoping I was not the only one playing on dominating difficult, guess the codex are just a bunch of suckers that run games on normal now a days.

I've played Underrail on DOMINATING difficulty before.

In 2016, it was called "Crossbows" instead of "DOMINATING."
Hey Blaine, thanks for trying to help. I was just hoping I was not the only one playing on DOMINATING!

Maybe I'll go with your Export -> Import trick and save up 100,000 stygian coins and just play through it. Like I was saying I don't mind the hp bloat and harder fights, but this 25% on selling your loot is just getting to me. I wish we could play this difficulty without it fooling with the sell percentage.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Post 'em!

0bab08000b.png
Step it up

BmVKpZG.png

Well, if you want it that way...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, if the by-far best way of making money on Normal doesn't work in DOMINATING!, then I doubt if anything will. Guess you have to get by on exchanging huge piles of loot for basic amenities.

The point of ludicrously hard difficulty settings is that they're grossly and blatantly unfair, so I'm not surprised that it isn't fun. If you were having fun, it wouldn't be DOMINATING!

Anyway, you could just Export -> Import every time you collect the easy charons from Tanner and the initial Junkyard quests, and do that several times. :lol:

Take Mercantile and stop whining. After Junkyard you will swim in money. I had like 100k already after I've finished with the Depot stuff.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing Underrail since it was called Timelapse Vertigo and this second camp assault has me at a fucking standstill. In however many years of playing this game this has never happened to me. Pretty bummed out, actually.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Serious question, since all I'm trying to do is keep Yahota alive and not die myself, is Level 15 too early to be in the DLC? Because I'm pretty sure I accidentally fucking deleted my save from before I entered Black Isles.

Jinn

Arcane
Serious question, since all I'm trying to do is keep Yahota alive and not die myself, is Level 15 too early to be in the DLC? Because I'm pretty sure I accidentally fucking deleted my save from before I entered Black Isles.

Well, what difficulty are you playing on? Also, you're not locked into the expansion or anything just by initiating it. You can come and go to the Black Sea as you please as soon as you get a jetski.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well as I go along I can definitely say that shotguns are, complicated. I only managed to beat Carnifex after I tossed crawler poisoned caltrops on him and mowed him down with my crafted SMG, the shotgun just can't seem to do enough damage or penetration. I also have to say that trainshot hasn't been as awesome as it sounds, I've gotten the most use out of them on the bladelings.

Jezal_k23

Btw Saban and Dan walked on my caltrops during the fight without turning on me. Why? Was this fixed?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I did the first camp assault at level 15 and it was not hard at all. Is that what you're talking about?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well as I go along I can definitely say that shotguns are, complicated. I only managed to beat Carnifex after I tossed crawler poisoned caltrops on him and mowed him down with my crafted SMG, the shotgun just can't seem to do enough damage or penetration. I also have to say that trainshot hasn't been as awesome as it sounds, I've gotten the most use out of them on the bladelings.

Non-expansion ranged weapons shake up something like this:

• Assault Rifle: Mow down bushels of enemies from point-blank to medium range; low focus penalty that can either be ignored or negated with one feat; no need for a backup weapon, this Chad of a firearm does it all
  • SMG: Short to medium range, similar to ARs, but fires wimpier ammo and is more oriented toward shy and depressed virgin builds
  • Sniper Rifle: Pretty much what one would expect from a sniper rifle; slow-firing, bad at short range, massive focus penalty; backup weapon practically required; enjoy being forced into point-blank scripted encounters
  • Slug Pistol: The shitty weapon that sniper and AR builds are forced to use at the beginning of the game, last-ditch backup for sniper builds; feats were added focusing on pistols but let's be honest, no one "mains" them
  • Energy/Chemical Pistols: You can't make one of these until Junkyard and the related feats are gimmicky as all Hell, but they're great fun and might make good backup for a sniper build; again though, no one "mains" these
  • Crossbows: When you hate yourself but neither want to commit suicide nor stop playing Underrail, this is the go-to choice of weapon—the quietest, shyest, and most forgettable virgin of all

Anyway, game developers don't seem to know how shotguns actually work, and just copy what other game developers have been doing for several decades by theming them around stupidly short ranges, ludicrously huge cones of fire, and horrible penetration unless slugs are used, at which point they turn into shittier and more expensive high-caliber pistols.

Now, I haven't used shotguns in Underrail yet myself, but I ask those of you who have: Why use shotguns and not ARs? I have a strong feeling ARs are far more powerful at a much more versatile selection of ranges and against both soft and hard targets.

Seems to me a shotgun with a feat or two might be decent backup for a sniper build, but building around one?

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
idk what you're talking about, you can main energy pistols pretty easily, it's not insanely good because well psi but it's good enough to finish the game with on not dominating pretty easily.

You max your crit chance, max crit chance some more, and then go stealth and shoot enemies standing in the light with ambush crits for a gajillion damage and probably the strongest alpha strike in the game because the crit multiplier is literally absurd on energy pistols. And then you still have aimed shot up your sleave as a 1hko on almost everything.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, game developers don't seem to know how shotguns actually work, and just copy what other game developers have been doing for several decades by theming them around stupidly short ranges and horrible penetration unless slugs are used, at which point they turn into shittier and more expensive high-caliber pistols.

Video Game Shotgun Syndrome.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't main ARs in UR because they're boring - you just shoot wherever you are and move around and do whatever you want and you're fine.

To me Underrail's particular tortuous delight comes in meticulously setting up the battlefield for your particular build to shine, whether it's melee or snipering or ambush from dark or whatever, all the while knowing if the enemy can disrupt your ideal conditions you are fucked. AR always seemed to me to get rid of that complexity.

That said, up to level 10, shotguns haven't been terribly exciting so far. It's fun when you can blow away three rathound alphas with two shots, but it really seems to be a snowflake needing the right conditions for not insubstantial AP cost.

Jezal_k23

Shotguns sound unreliable. Sort of like how swords are unreliable. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with this build. It just really hangs you out to dry once you miss.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Does anyone know the persuasion level required to pass all the Captain Grimes skill checks? I'm like 5 oddity XP away from a level, so I'm tempted to just level, and then come back with some extra persuasion in my pocket.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Anyway, game developers don't seem to know how shotguns actually work, and just copy what other game developers have been doing for several decades by theming them around stupidly short ranges, ludicrously huge cones of fire, and horrible penetration unless slugs are used, at which point they turn into shittier and more expensive high-caliber pistols.
true to real life shotgun is basically a shittier rifle.

idk what you're talking about, you can main energy pistols pretty easily, it's not insanely good because well psi but it's good enough to finish the game with on not dominating pretty easily.
I found dominating pretty easy with them too. They're crazy strong once your build gets going.

Codex Year of the Donut
Shotguns are great for close quarters
In ww1 the Germans got so butthurt over the Winchester Model 97 they tried to get it banned

Wunderbar

Arcane
Shotguns are great for close quarters
In ww1 the Germans got so butthurt over the Winchester Model 97 they tried to get it banned
so it's basically a rifle with shittier stats but without short range penalty.

Black Angel

Arcane
Btw Saban and Dan walked on my caltrops during the fight without turning on me. Why? Was this fixed?
It's in an uncontrolled zone. I'd assume you managed to throw those caltrops while out of their sight.

Does anyone know the persuasion level required to pass all the Captain Grimes skill checks? I'm like 5 oddity XP away from a level, so I'm tempted to just level, and then come back with some extra persuasion in my pocket.
I did it with effective 110+ Persuasion. 15 Will, 60 points invested into the skill + another 60 invested into Mercantile which probably helped through synergy.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
It's in an uncontrolled zone. I'd assume you managed to throw those caltrops while out of their sight.

I did it with effective 110+ Persuasion. 15 Will, 60 points invested into the skill + another 60 invested into Mercantile which probably helped through synergy.
I've got about 70 effective atm. If I dump around 20 points into it, I'll get around 100 effective which will hopefully be enough. Do you actually get to walk around the pirate bases and such if you pass the persuasion checks?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom