Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Sykar

Arcane
Personally I would not mind a remake of Arcanum, polishing up the rough parts while improving combat as much as possible. Also making technology and magic more equal.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Chris is very opinionated. I respect his perspective even though it doesn't fit my own 90% of a time.
His video on Torment is great.

I had no idea Cain has issues with Fallouts and Arcanums character screens. Weird.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Besides, as far as I know from other videos of this guy, he's a lawyer, and it shows - he presents his cunty opinions in a way in which there's a constant subtext there 'My opinions are better and more informed than yours'. Which contrasts highly with him being practically a slightly more intelligent casual and decline enabler.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Did he bitch about something "problematic" in older crpgs, or am I mixing him with someone else? I seem to remember watching his video on BG 1 or 2, and he bitched about some "problematic" aspects in them.

Egosphere

Arcane
Personally I would not mind a remake of Arcanum, polishing up the rough parts while improving combat as much as possible. Also making technology and magic more equal.
Arcanum, but with Underrail's combat system and balancing, would be superb

Zer0wing

Cipher
An es-jew-eee, watch him answering on critical comments and solving his anger issues.

Sykar

Arcane
lol at people defending Arcanums shit combat, TB or RT

True.

Although the character development system Magic/Technology Aptitude and abilities/spells were nice.

Doesn't change that combat was irredeemable shit.

Though some fun could be gained by for example Tempus Fugit + Haste + Slow -> "Worthless Mutt" turning into a pure murder machine tearing through hordes of enemies. :lol:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Though some fun could be gained by for example Tempus Fugit + Haste + Slow -> "Worthless Mutt" turning into a pure murder machine tearing through hordes of enemies. :lol:
That's what you need RT for, to make this process nicer to look at and faster.

Arcanums magic is truly something beautiful in it's anti-Sawyerty.

Cael

Arcane
Don't even need that much. Make a melee character with a bit of magic and grab a few daggers of speed and the magic warboots that give speed. Cast haste and go to town with a metric asston of AP coupled with 1 AP attacks. Boost yourself to 20 strength and 20 Dex using level 1 spells is also worth the laugh. Bonus points for backstab to level 5. Who cares about guns when I can cross entire continents in one round and stab you and your army to death at the end of it?

biggestboss

Liturgist
Did he bitch about something "problematic" in older crpgs, or am I mixing him with someone else? I seem to remember watching his video on BG 1 or 2, and he bitched about some "problematic" aspects in them.
IIRC, he thought that the player response to the trans stuff in Siege of Dragonspear was an overreaction.

Egosphere

Arcane

Waayyy too beautiful to ever be true.

There's so much stuff in Arcanum that is implemented, yet has absolutely no use because of the combat system. Like called shots, for example. You can target an enemy's head, leg or arm, and enemies CAN drop their weapons, but will you ever use it? Nope. Clockwork decoys, illuminated decoys, mechanized arachnids, fire obstruction, corrosive acid, hallucination grenades, anaesthisizer, mustard gas, concussion grenades, bear traps etc. - all useless beyond larping purposes, since you can just lob a molotov at everything and destroy it. And magick is just sad. So much variety in there, yet there's like 2 spells that trump everything, and there are barely any enemies throughout the game who can cast them. Just endless trash mobs with shitty axes or bows.

Macbeth

Scholar
Update 8 for RePack v1.4.0.x.

What's new:

▪ RePack fixes:
√ Fixed issue with the absence of vial with poison in the Ivory’s vase (Jormund’s quest).
√ Fixed issue with the prisoner absence in the Bedokaan Village (Winde’s quest).
√ Other minor NPC fixes.
▪ Issues in the original game:
√ NPC rewards were hidden to the player (similar to the Doc Roberts reward in the original).
√ Equipment was issued to the elven guard in Quintarra (Jormund’s quest), as well as development scheme "Guard" was assigned. Level was increased from 1 to 45.
√ The development scheme "Pure Melee-Dodge" was assigned to Wendell Wellington’s half-ogre bodyguard. His level was increased from 1 to 25.
√ Fixed indent coordinates of windows and doors (buildings Beige Stone-Nice Interior, Seaside Village and Wood Shack - 2).
√ Eliminated artifacts in the textures of some arts:
- Windows of the building Seaside Village.
- Roof of the building Beige Stone-Nice Interior.
- Kings Bed (Royal_bed.art).
√ Typos in the names of several arts have been fixed.

Compatibility:

√ To make the fix of the rewards work properly, you may need to start a new game.
√ Delete temporary files prior to launching the game to activate a part of preferences (checkbox “Delete Temporary Files” in the configurator).
√ In case of problems with updater start, check the availability of update.exe in update_AME folder.
- If it exists then put this file to exceptions of your Anti-virus (just in case).
- If it is absent, check the quarantine of your Anti-virus (or re-install the AME) and put this file to exceptions.

_Vic_

Educated
Thanks I was waiting for this. They shoud take this and make a new Arcanum game, like they did with troika´s VTMB.

oscar

Arcane

Waayyy too beautiful to ever be true.

There's so much stuff in Arcanum that is implemented, yet has absolutely no use because of the combat system. Like called shots, for example. You can target an enemy's head, leg or arm, and enemies CAN drop their weapons, but will you ever use it? Nope. Clockwork decoys, illuminated decoys, mechanized arachnids, fire obstruction, corrosive acid, hallucination grenades, anaesthisizer, mustard gas, concussion grenades, bear traps etc. - all useless beyond larping purposes, since you can just lob a molotov at everything and destroy it. And magick is just sad. So much variety in there, yet there's like 2 spells that trump everything, and there are barely any enemies throughout the game who can cast them. Just endless trash mobs with shitty axes or bows.

Yeah the tragedy of Arcanum was that it had great deep systems with lots of interesting inventions and late-game spells but the combat was just way too easy and unbalanced for there to be any point in touching it. Even my 10 year old ass found about one mildly challenging fight in the game, Stringy Pete. Whoever designed the encounters really dropped the ball. Even a Fallout 1 and 2 level of difficulty would have made the game much much better.

I don't think a remake would be a great idea either. Steampunk is a pretty dated and dorky aesthetic now.. A hollow world expedition type game could be very cool though.

soulburner

Cipher
I think I asked this before but can't remember if it was answered, but is there a way to limit fps? I have between 600 and 1000... limiting to 60 would keep my CPU fan idle during gameplay.

soulburner

Cipher
Yes, tried double buffering both on and off. RivaTuner can't cap the fps, neither the parameters shown on pcgamingwiki :( 1250 fps always...

PolakCebulak

Barely Literate
Any chance for more languages support ??
I could translate new/changed/added multiverse english texts to polish. I have Arcanum polish language translation files but first I must know what has been changed in multiverse vs the original eng version.

Macbeth

Scholar
Any chance for more languages support ??
Not from our side, alas.
I can provide any texts in English/Russian, but I cannot help with other languages.
Mostly all English texts are the same as in original, but scripts and global flags were changed.
And really, if you want to translate from scratch - it's... diabolical work. Months of work. For one person it is hell.
I did it not from the scratch. It was total remake, but at least I had some kind of basis.

Anyway, as I said I can consult you and provide texts, but think twice before you start spending your life for it.
I've translated Torment and Arcanum (both with basis), and I don't want to do it anymore ever. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom