Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't know why but you give off a vibe of being threatened somehow, by something. :smug:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't know why but you give off a vibe of being threatened somehow, by something. :smug:

Sounds like you're projecting.

The king of Classic is LIVE!

maxresdefault.jpg

J1M

Arcane
Now that Classic is a reality, it is time to switch the mob to start campaigning for C'thun to be released in its pre-nerf 'mathematically impossible' state. I have no doubt that the guilds of today could down it, and it would be a great world first story. Boss finally downed for the first time after 15 years.

J1M

Arcane
To elaborate on why that would be so exciting:

1) The player who famously claimed it was mathematically impossible was Ion, the current game director of WoW.

2) If the application of over a decade of min-maxing and an unlimited supply of consumables proves insufficient, the use of world buffs on top of that certainly will be.

3) Should that be the case, each raid group will get a single attempt every time they can accumulate the world buffs. A rate limiting factor that will turn each attempt into a streamable event.

4) My understanding is that the zone with the boss must be unlocked by a server-wide effort, adding an additional server participation element to the race. (Even if all the big US guilds are on the same server, the EU and AP ones will not be.)

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
If you are having doubts about which faction to join, remember that white men don't play the nigger faction. Alliance is the quintessential grouping of both European pagan mythopoeic archetypes, and Medieval archetypes. The insignificant number of trannies LARPing as Night Elves is a small price to pay for access to Dwarf architecture, Human tavern music, Gnomish tinkering, and the Elven heritage which characterizes the comfiest, most aesthetically developed zones in the game including snowy Dun Morogh and Ironforge, classic Elwynn Forest and the timeless autumn of Redridge, far ancient Teldrassil and beyond. Horde zones are awful neon orange eye-raping zones full of no-shoe niggers squatting over rocks in mud huts patting each other on the ass about honor when in reality their poverty is due to their own hubris and inability to achieve anything by way of spilling blood save spilling more blood. Squat on a rock in another awful barren zone eating dirt cakes, or listen to the bard sing the songs of Strom in the Blue Recluse deep in the heart of bustling Stormwind, cold mead in your hand and thicc wench on your lap. The choice is yours.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that Classic is a reality, it is time to switch the mob to start campaigning for C'thun to be released in its pre-nerf 'mathematically impossible' state. I have no doubt that the guilds of today could down it, and it would be a great world first story. Boss finally downed for the first time after 15 years.
It was impossible. I don't know why people think raiders didn't min-max back then and didn't use world buffs and such. The good guilds were armed and buffed to the teeth, you can easily check that by looking up old raiding videos on YouTube. WoW wasn't the first MMO with raids. What the problem was is you couldn't kill the tentacles fast enough and that was with utmost efficiency (the math part). It *might* be possible with the 1.12 balancing, but I kinda doubt it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
If Alliance ends up being underpopulated this time around, they're probably the faction to play.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The prospect of having to level through the Barrens is enough to make you not want to play Horde tbh.
I am curious. Why didn’t you like the barrens? I remember it having decent kill quests for xp, 3 dungeons (WC, RFD, RFK), and a lively regional chat.

The only zone I truly disliked was Swamp of Sorrows.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A lot of reasons. First of all, you can't skip it if you are playing Horde, Silverpine Forest is unfinished and you will run out of relevant quests by the time you hit 15ish, forcing you to go to the Barrens either way. Second of all, it has quests for like 20 levels and you have to periodically come back to pick up 2-3 quests which you couldn't before. It wouldn't be so bad if the zone didn't have so much walking around in a featureless savanna. And last but not least, the quests themselves have spread out objectives and are boring in general, too many "exterminate the local wildlife and native populations" type of deal. I think it exemplifies the fact that Horde zones were made last, too many levels crammed into a single *unskippable* gigantic zone without much variation. Barrens chat is cancer. The cherry on top is that the Alliance zones for the relevant levels are much better designed and varied, they don't force you to go anywhere and you have actual choices of where to level. Horde leveling in general is very linear, not only the Barrens, it's just the worst example.

J1M

Arcane
Barrens is a nice big zone with lots of people and things to do. One of the bright spots of horde side.

For vanilla Alliance was definitely the better faction. They became pretty gay in subsequent expansions though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Horde content wasn't fleshed out on initial release. It took a while to get it somewhat on par with Alliance. The issue I had with zones like the Barrens is -- and a lot of people forget -- you couldn't get a mount until level 40. Barrens was a level 15-20ish zone. And back in 't3h day' there was only one flight path. Far too much tedious walking in a massive, long, and narrow map.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of reasons. First of all, you can't skip it if you are playing Horde, Silverpine Forest is unfinished and you will run out of relevant quests by the time you hit 15ish, forcing you to go to the Barrens either way. Second of all, it has quests for like 20 levels and you have to periodically come back to pick up 2-3 quests which you couldn't before. It wouldn't be so bad if the zone didn't have so much walking around in a featureless savanna. And last but not least, the quests themselves have spread out objectives and are boring in general, too many "exterminate the local wildlife and native populations" type of deal. I think it exemplifies the fact that Horde zones were made last, too many levels crammed into a single *unskippable* gigantic zone without much variation. Barrens chat is cancer. The cherry on top is that the Alliance zones for the relevant levels are much better designed and varied, they don't force you to go anywhere and you have actual choices of where to level. Horde leveling in general is very linear, not only the Barrens, it's just the worst example.
I thought the Barrens was consistent with the Rexxar campaign of "taming the land.... by killing", although I can understand the tedium, whereas humans have the defias subplot that culminates with Onyxia, dwarves searching for ruins, and Nelves protecting the forests.

I do not remember it being unskippable though. At the same time, I do not remember there being an easy alternative for the 15-20 level range.

J1M

Arcane
It was impossible. I don't know why people think raiders didn't min-max back then and didn't use world buffs and such. The good guilds were armed and buffed to the teeth, you can easily check that by looking up old raiding videos on YouTube. WoW wasn't the first MMO with raids. What the problem was is you couldn't kill the tentacles fast enough and that was with utmost efficiency (the math part). It *might* be possible with the 1.12 balancing, but I kinda doubt it.
There was nowhere near the level of class stacking, raid splitting, etc in vanilla as there was in later expansions. The larger raid size made those activities more time intensive and the best guilds weren't funded by large corporations.

Furthermore, you are drastically underestimating how much better the (same) players are today.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I do not remember it being unskippable though. At the same time, I do not remember there being an easy alternative for the 15-20 level range.
You can grind mobs in Silverpine. Have fun.
There was nowhere near the level of class stacking, raid splitting, etc in vanilla as there was in later expansions.
You misunderstand the thought experiment. This wasn't a calculation based on their skill or raid composition. They ran through the most class stacked and efficient raid composition that was mathematically possible and ran with 100% of the possible DPS uptime without taking into account the possibility of mistakes. And it was impossible with that premise. They didn't try to bash their heads against the encounter until something was working, it was purely a mathematical, theoretical exercise that took into account the best possible scenario. I'm sure it's possible to find the relevant thread with WayBackMachine.

bloodlover

Arcane
Fuck Asmongold and his horde of mindless sheep following him around 24/7. Thank Odin he's playing in US.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom